New beardie

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

New beardie

Postby Slawson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 am

Hello!

So I got a beardie from a pet store almost a week ago. I named it Gobi 😊. Gobi is doing well but I have a question about the lighting setup I have. I bought an all in one kit, thrive brand. It did have carpet for the bottom which I read is better. However I’m confused with the UVB light. It included one but it sits on top of the mesh screen. Is that ok?
Slawson
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New beardie

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Please look at this topic written by one of our mods if you have any more questions please come back and ask we are here to help
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Slawson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Thank you KareeRee. I did read it and I see I need to replace it with an inside light fixture. But there are different wattages and I don’t know which one to pick. Can someone please help me? He’s in a 40g tank. I hang it next to his basking spot at the top of the glass? What wattage do I get? Then I don’t need the other uvb light that’s currently sitting on top of his cage? Just the basking bulb?
Slawson
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:51 pm

No if your basking bulb is keeping temps 105-110 for a baby or 95-110 for a juvie/ adult and it must be taken w/a digital probe thermometer you are good --- its the UVB you are needing to replace if its a coil --- NO coils you want a tube fixture it looks like this
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesa ... o-med.html 24" fixture and this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which is equivalent to a T 8 bulb hang on to it
you want this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb- ... o-med.html Its from a different place so you can get the fixture from there as well - I just dont know how long its taking for them to ship please call them and ask 916-226-4089-- they are out of CA
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Slawson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:18 pm

This makes no sense to me. The fixture u suggested goes on top of his enclosure correct? Where do I put the basking bulb then? And my cage isn’t 24inches long I don’t think. Can’t you mount the uvb inside the cage?
Slawson
Newbie Poster

Postby Slawson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Also don’t understand the t8, t10, etc.

I just need to know exactly what bulb I buy for my guy, where I hang it. There’s so many wattages on the uvb that I do not know.
Slawson
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm

T 5 is is a stronger bulb and its a 24 watt --it has two options for placement depending on the screen you have the T 8 is a bulb that would need to go in the tank - it also needs to be replaced every 6 months where as the T 5 once per year -- they both need different fixtures -- I have recommended the T 5 - its better suited for your 40 gallon and if you ever want to upgrade that fixture would go right into it
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures