Bearded Dragon Birthday gift ideas

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Bearded Dragon Birthday gift ideas

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Hello!

Drogon is almost a year old and it's almost his adoption day :D I'd like to get him something special like a heated bed so he can hang out of his cage longer. He loves spending time out playing, but when he gets cold, I always put him back and he has a little tantrum.

Does anyone have any experience with this or could you link me to some ideas?
Thanks!
Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bearded Dragon Birthday gift ideas

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Cooperdragon needs to respond to this
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 am

I like to set up portable basking areas around the house for free roam time. The ones I have are dome fixtures hanging off of adjustable lamp stands. Two are mercury vapor bulbs to provide UVB (less popular with him) and two are halogen bulbs providing just heat (he loves these and will return to them to warm up).

You can also set up a soft bed (I use a small dog bed) in a window sill to allow time to look outside and enjoy some natural sunlight (this is UVA/heat only - the window blocks UVB).

Here is a photo of what I use to provide portable basking spots.

[Click image to enlarge]
CooperDragon

Postby Selkie1993 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm

CooperDragon wrote:I like to set up portable basking areas around the house for free roam time. The ones I have are dome fixtures hanging off of adjustable lamp stands. Two are mercury vapor bulbs to provide UVB (less popular with him) and two are halogen bulbs providing just heat (he loves these and will return to them to warm up).

You can also set up a soft bed (I use a small dog bed) in a window sill to allow time to look outside and enjoy some natural sunlight (this is UVA/heat only - the window blocks UVB).

Here is a photo of what I use to provide portable basking spots.

[Click image to enlarge]

I'm a little nervous with having free standing heat bulbs. I know my cat will mess with them -__- Plus I have a lot of carpet, so I don't wanna start a fire. Can I use a heating pad on low grade and put a blanket over it? :)
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:13 am

If you have a cat, then the lights and free roaming in general isn't a good idea. Maybe a small soft bed or folded blanket in a window sill to allow for some natural sunlight would be a hit. If you go with a heated bed of some sort, then I would use reptile shipping heat packs which don't get very hot so they don't pose as much of a burn risk. They should still be kept under a towel or blanket to prevent direct skin contact.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion