Canadian - Staple Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorriepa

I am researching a lot for my new bearded dragon (not yet purchased) and I wanted to know other Canadian opinions on staple feeders.

Dubia Roaches: seem to be the best feeders for bearded dragons however they are unfortunately not available in Canada.

Mealworms: The famous debate! Just to stay safe I would rather stay away from them (even though they are super convenient and cheap).

Crickets: I would really rather not get them as they stink and make a lot of noise. My husband is a very light sleeper and would go crazy if they made any noise.

Silkworms: I can get them but they are super expensive.

So from what I am able to tell as a Canadian the last option is Black soldier fly larvae.

My question is there ANY other daily staple that I can feed it? I've heard conflicting things about hornworms, waxworms, butterworms, superworms and that they should not be staples and only as occasional treats.

Or is BSFL and Silkworms enough for a daily staple with the other worms as occasional treats? Also what does it mean occasional? Once a day or once a week?

Thank you for your help!!! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
BSFL and silkworms can be fed together --- meal worms are not good for babies too hard on the stomachs -- super worms horn worms and butterworms can be fed 2-3 times per seek - like 1-3 supers horn worms like 2 and butter worms 3-4 - wax worms sparingly they are very fatty and can cause long term liver damage --- I offer my 2 dragons worms every day they dont eat them everyday - salads should be fed everyday-- along w/ your staple feeder - babies usually dont eat a lot of salad as their main diet is protein up till a year but you want them eating salads --
here is a website for a lady in CA for feeders
https://www.thewormlady.ca/
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I disagree with Karrie on the mealworm comment. I've fed mealworms to hundreds of babies and hatchlings and never have had an issue.

Im a big proponent of variety. And the quest for perfection often leads us down a worse road than settling with OK.

No one single insect is perfect. Although if I were to pick two that were the closest, it would be silkworms and BSFL.

That being said, not 1 single bug can offer everything. Each bug will be bringing some form of uniqueness to the diet whether it be a macronutrient requirement or a micronutrient requirement.

All that's to say, don't focus on just finding 1 or 2 feeders. Maybe find 1 or 2 that you like as a daily bug, but don't think you shouldn't be offering 2 or 3 or even 4 different bugs a day if you can.

Remember, variety is your best bet at avoiding nutritional and micro-nutritional deficiencies. That goes for bugs and for salad items.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom