Have made mistakes on first clutch. Should I stay hopeful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mistakes

-I oversatuated my vermiculate. Many of my eggs sat in a bit of a puddle for an extended amount of time. Can they absorb water?
-I transferred them to a different container a few weeks ago. No eggs were turned over, but I fear that I may have overhandled them.
-They've been incubated at a temp that might've been too low. 26-27 celsius.

It's day 85. The eggs have been swollen for a while. They have the consistency of a well-filled liquid detergent pod. There are embryos that seem to be growing, but upon candling, it's clear that the eggs' contents are mostly liquid. What I'm wondering is, if 1) any of this normal for day 85, and 2) if my lower temperatures may have extended the incubation period. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
hi there, the eggs look nice and healthy.

I dont know the answer to your first question for sure, but typically the main issue with too much water is mold growth.

The lower your temps, the longer the process typically. But your temps werent that far off.

Only thing you can do now is wait. Good luck :)

- Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Brandon, and you most likely didn't overhandle them, they can take some moving as long as they stay in the same position. That is a huge egg BTW !

winkydinks

Original Poster
AHBD":1v6162kb said:
I agree with Brandon, and you most likely didn't overhandle them, they can take some moving as long as they stay in the same position. That is a huge egg BTW !
Yes they are big, much bigger than when they were laid, which is why I was wondering if they can absorb h20. The embryos are sitting on the bottom, with most of the volume being liquid. They feel like they'd explode if poked with a needle.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes they do but not much, it's just natural growth + expansion . But you were fortunate that they didn't get too much moisture from the way you described the amount of water that could have killed them.

winkydinks

Original Poster
AHBD":335fhptv said:
Yes they do but not much, it's just natural growth + expansion . But you were fortunate that they didn't get too much moisture from the way you described the amount of water that could have killed them.
I'll continue to monitor. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom