New to T5 Linear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphyrus

After years of not having a beardie, two weeks ago I adopted one from a family friend who no longer had time to care for him properly.

I’m a bit new to these T5 bulbs and purchased a 36” fixture + Arcadia 34” 39watt T5 12% bulb for my 40 gallon breeder (36x18x18). The basking spot is approximately 14inchs from the fixture which is sitting on top a mesh. Should I have gone with the 14% or is the 12% suffice?

Thanks I’m advance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome back =). That's an excellent bulb - I use the same one. Since it's going through a mesh top, that will intercept a bit of the output. It might be best to raise the main basking site up to within 10-12'' of the bulb or perhaps mount the fixture inside the enclosure (at around 12-14'' above the basing area) for best results. Alternatively, if you don't have any other pets in the house and the "furniture" isn't set too high up, you could suspend the lighting over the top of the tank with an adjustable stand and leave the top off. I do it that way and it works well.

Zaphyrus

Original Poster
Appreciate the quick feedback - and happy to be back!

I’m pretty sure the top mesh is able to have portions of it removed. I’ll have to check when I’m back from work. Otherwise I did order one of those magnetic basking ledges which I could just be sure to have that in the 10-12” range from the bulb. Thanks again for the reassurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom