Baby dragon not eating, head tilt, wobbly. First time momma

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeddieCanuck

Original Poster
109279-3429780477.jpg
109279-5076521565.jpg
He’s had some shed on his one side since we brought him home, for sure. I see the other side is beginning now as well and I suspect he’s got some head shed about to start. I continue to mist him once a day.
We just had him out again attempting more slurry and no dice. I’ve pulled his lips open and got some in but he spits it out the other side, little bugger! He seems to zone in and out. Like, I have to touch his nose to get his attention and he kinda comes back to life and becomes alert. But then he kinda shuts down again. He’s also very sleepy today. He fell asleep perched on my husbands finger (held close to his body, sitting on the couch) and he rolled right off. As I said in earlier posts, his behaviour seems neurological. I don’t know how clumsy babies generally are, but it seems unusual that he’s not really able to keep his balance. He’s a good little climber when I have him out though, even if his walking looks jerky. I put a little wooden bridge in with him today so he could at least have something solid to drop on to when he comes to the cooler side of his tank. I sincerely think he is enjoying this new addition as he comes down to look out at us when he IS awake, but he manages to fall off that as well. I am heartbroken. Here’s the pics of him with his head down.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes the falling over and off stuff is not good - they are clumsy but usually not that clumsy-- I think Tracie needs to get in on this I will see if she can give some insight on this
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that he has some type of neurological problem and he may even have adeno but neither of those are necessarily a death sentence and it may be a case of just giving him the best care that you can and taking it day by day. I can feel your pain, I know you love this little creature that has no control of what happens to him. He may not eat every day but that's O..K.

If you decide to test for ADV, Tracie works with a top lab that deals with it and can do the test for a very minimal price.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, so sorry!
If you want to get him tested for Adeno, you can sign up on my site at:

www.thepats.info

The test is $21 for the sample. When signing up, though there isn't a place on the sign
up form, be sure to include your mailing address so I know where to mail your swab & form
out to.
If he has adeno, there are some ways to treat it, since he is very young right now, you might
have some success with clearing it out. For now, you can add bee pollen or black strap
molasses in his slurry to try & help with appetite & immune system function.

Tracie

SeddieCanuck

Original Poster
Hi guys! Just thought I’d give a little update since it’s been a few days. My little guy sure is a fighter!! I’ve been able to get almost a full syringe of slurry into him three times a day the last two days. He’s trying hard to hunt and has taken a few worms and crickets by hand after each syringe. I no longer see ribs and he’s got a nice round belly! He’s now pooping twice a day vs once. I know y’all said no baths but he was so uncomfortable with his shed that I hand held him in the sink in water. He loved it. He drank and rested his head on my thumb and just soaked it all in. I towel dried him and out him under his heat lamp and he turned such a vibrant red. It has been exhausting but rewarding to watch him making small gains. I still see little neuro ticks. I’m so attached at this point, I just can’t fathom returning him. Hubby and I talk for hours about what is in his best interest. With my MS, the stress of this hasn’t been great but I also think - what if someone gave up on me because I have neurological issues? Logically I know it’s not the same - I sure the heck don’t want to see him suffer. I feel like asking the pet store to allow me to keep him and give me my money back. They’d be out the money either way, I figure. Is this unethical or unrealistic to ask?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, he's really doing well ! I'm happy for you guys and for the little scaly one. :) Keep all his climbing areas pretty low to reduce the risk of getting hurt from a fall. So he takes 3 syringes a day ??? Where's he putting it all ? :lol: Anyway, maybe reduce it just a little since part of it can be just reflex [ swallowing every time he gets the syringe ] and you don't want him so stuffed that he has no interest in walking around or hunting. But that's all great news and hopefully will continue. I don't know about getting a refund AND keeping the dragon but you never know unless you ask. I wish both you and your baby good health , I know M.S. has varying degrees , relapses, etc [ if I'm using the right terms ] as I have 2 friends with it. One has the fast progressing type but is still mobile, though very slow. Eyesight is super bad but the person always has a cheery attitude. The other friend has had it for many, many years and did bee sting therapy ? She has always been pretty mobile except for a limp.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Euthanizing would be the kindest thing to do if he’s neurologically impaired to the point where he is wasting away like that and falling off of his basking platform. If there is a treatment out there, by all means go with that, but it sounds like he’s suffering.

Edit: oops I didn’t read far enough ? DON’T GO EUTHANIZE, He sounded way worse in the original description. He’s thriving now, so continue caring for him and he should be back to normal-ish.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is really hanging in there with you, that is quite surprising! :D I am really happy for you
& for him, too. I think it sounds like he has improved enough to definitely keep him. If the
store wont issue a refund, maybe they can give partial, simply due to the poor condition he
was in & some store credit?
He is taking the slurries really well then, he must enjoy the bonding also! Post more pictures
as he progresses.

Tracie

SeddieCanuck

Original Poster
I just wanted to give y’all another incredible update on Seddie! He is really making great leaps and bounds. I have continued with the slurries and he loves them. I had begun with force feeding, but now he takes it all in his own. He’s so dear! He places one little hand on my thumb while he drinks. Ugh!!! My heart!!! And now he is slowly beginning to take in his crickets. His hunting skills aren’t exactly where I’d like them, but he’s definitely improving. we’re successfully getting 10 in a day of small pinheads. As for syringing he now takes in about 16 cc’s a day (roughly 5 cc, three times a day). Sometimes he “asks” for more and I happily oblige. When I first started, I was giving him around 8 CC’s three times a day because he was ravenous! He would sit on chest and lip smack until I offered the syringe. Then he’d happily climb on my thumb and drink.
I hate to ask more of you guys but I just wanted to make sure everything is on track; sometimes when he’s drinking his slurry, I notice he kind of puffs up his neck and opens his mouth a bit between slurps. This doesn’t happen when I pull down the bottom lip and get him to chew on the syringe, oddly enough. Just when he’s drinking on his own. I drop a tiny bit on the tip of his nose continually until he starts to drink. Maybe he’s holding his breath before he finally gives in? It sounds strange but he really seems to like the side lip thing. Sometimes when he’s drinking on his own, he’ll chew on it and climb into position I.E on my thumb as if to say he would rather I do it. He’s the boss already!
He’s grown a quarter inch and really filled out since the slurries have started. I suspect we’ll always have a bit of a wobbly guy on our hands but he appears to be making a turn around and I’m just so proud of him.
Also! The pet store gave us a full refund and allowed us to keep him. The fellow I have been dealing with said he hasn’t seen any significant improvements in the other babies that were returned but that none have passed away despite similar symptoms as our Seddie. They too remain stunted in growth and have issues hunting and eating. He didn’t feel that long term syringe feeding would be an issue for Sed, as long as he continues to get stronger. He asked me what I was putting in and thought he might take the others home with him and try the same. I’d love your thoughts on the gulp/gape and long term syringe feedings if you have the time.
Again, I just can’t begin to thank you enough for all your help and support. I don’t think I’ve loved any creature so desperately into life as I have with him and so - from the bottom of my heart - thank you. Seddie thanks you, too. I’ll post some pics of my darling soon. I’d have done so earlier but I feared it might jinx his progress. I’m a total geek, I know!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything sounds good so far, Seddie is making great progress with you as his personal nurse taking excellent care of him. :) Yes the inflating of the beard can sort of be like us taking a long drink and breathing heavily after wer'e done. As long as he doesn''t aspirate any he's O.K. but always go slow. Keep offering crickets more often than the slurry or at least AS often if he'll go for more of them. But he's doing well so that's great and as you continue to offer more live food as he grows you will see how that goes. For now it's O.K since he's a baby and he may eat like this for a while, no one can predict for sure, but as time passes the goal should be more insects and greens. You're doing a great job though !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent news he is improving daily for you right now! Bless him. Wow, you are
doing such a wonderful job with him! :D
Lucky Seddie, I am so happy for him. Yes,definitely go slow with fluids, just so he wont
aspirate them or drink too much at one time, etc.
He should continue to get better with his hunting in time as he gets stronger. It really sounds
like you two have bonded strongly. If he can overcome these issues, get stronger & develop
a better immune system he should be well on his way to being healthier.
It is hard not to love them, they are so sweet.

Tracie

SeddieCanuck

Original Poster
109279-4084698265.jpg
109279-5299368459.jpg
109279-1687069470.jpg

From the bottom of our hearts - thank you guys for helping us make Seddie the handsome little nugget he’s turning out to be and encouraging me to continue on! To say we’re in love is an understatement!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, he is so cute & has really gained some weight! :D He is really coming along, that is
terrific. I am so happy to hear how much he has improved, thanks to you. The pictures say
everything....he even has a little beardie belly starting, too.

Thanks for the updates!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom