Adopting an adult as our 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger6

Hello! My family and I have always wanted a beardie and now that all our kids are older(16,15,15,13,13 &11), we have been talking about getting one SOME day. We currently have our 3 ladies- beloved leopard gecko, Spoiled cat and medium sized dog. Well the other day my coworker mentioned that her brother has a 3 or 4yr old male that apparently is just “there“. The mother takes care of it.. kinda from what I‘ve heard and has said she’s just waiting for it to die or someone to take it. ? my heart broke for him! Anyways, we all agreed instead of a baby, we need to give this fella a good home! The family said great come get him. Soo super fast we all have been researching and taking notes! Looking at his cage from the photos tells me we need to get him adequate housing! The cage looks like it’s 20gallons and I’m not sure about their lighting, but the gal’s mom said they’re “wonky” & don’t really work! I asked about handling and that’s a no. No baths ever and they just keep a water dish in the tank. He just looks so sad in the photos I received today! Tomorrow the mister and I are making a trip to the pet store (1hr drive for the closest one) to get him things for a better forever home! She said I can pick him up in a couple days cuz she wants to clean his tank up a bit before someone else sees it ? The poor fella apparently had a name once, but they don’t remember it. We have already decided to name him Mr. Crowley(Ozzy was a close second?)! I know it’s going to take awhile for him to adjust and get to know us.. we just want to give him the best we can and hope he learns to love us too! If you have ANY suggestions on things I need immediately for him or tips please share!
**Photos I received of him today **
109317-6840497060.jpg
109317-3458357249.jpg
109317-1191711636.jpg
109317-8791297176.jpg
Thanks!

Its great that your willing to take on an adult, I did the same, my beardy is an 11 year old female and was also my first! I recommend using tile substrate, or something you can easily clean, loose substrate is a no-no! Do you have a UVB?? because that is a must for health reasons as they can develop brittle bone disease :) And you definitely need a much bigger tank! until then I would clear the floor and let your Beardy have a roam around for exercise, as for humidity I don't keep water in the tank, she drinks when she comes out to play, my tank is 60 gallons, and fills the whole bay window!
I am learning myself also but I will include a picture of my Viv so you can get a feel for things and maybe offer me some advice also! All the best from me & Moni the dragon!

3zN2ZhX.jpg

QvpDvPg.jpg

saraho

Hatchling Member
My Charlie was adopted at around age 2. He came with a big tank but inadequate lighting, walnut substrate and little else. We had talked about adopting here at work (library) and the very next day the opportunity came, so we jumped on it. I am now his main caretaker, he is officially my education animal since I'm the Children's Librarian. Thanks to this forum I've been able to correct his lighting issues, the substrate issues, food issues and learn a lot! Whenever I have a few free minutes I like to read about beardies, there is always something new I didn't know yet. Keep educating yourself, Mr. Crowley will thank you (I have the song in my head now, BTW.)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor fella, he does look bored + disinterested in life . Good for you to be getting this boy a new life. :) His body condition looks reasonably good, hopefully that crustiness on his tail is poo and not fungus. Ask them if that cleans off with a bath.

Whitewolf your old girl is looking great !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ginger, the more I look at the tail the more it looks like fungus. I hope I'm wrong because it would be very serious health problem. Ask the owner to give it a bath to see if that comes off and send you a pic after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom