Odd lightspot with dark outline

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcandrews

Decided to come here to look for help with a spot on my beardie Larry. This spot has been lingering on him for around three weeks at this point. Originally, I thought it was just a retained shed, but I think it's been around too long for that. It was also slightly swollen a few weeks ago, but that passed after about a week or so.
109308-5582705727.jpg
109308-9996369034.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It almost looks fungal but I am going to have some others look
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks very much like a burn. Can you post pics of the set up, showing how close he can get to the lights ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

If it was slightly swollen it's most likely a burn. Although it did just look like a piece of shed at first glance. Is the spot tender to your dragon?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would have to agree, it looks a lot like a burn to me. How close is your basking light
to him & what wattage is it?

Tracie

mikemcandrews

Original Poster
Hi everybody thanks for the help. He currently has a 75 watt floodlight mounted about 9 inches away from him on a dimmer. He also has a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO mounted about 10 inches away as well. He doesn't seem too upset when I touch it.

The burn may be a definite possibility because I noticed the dimmer switch was nudged to the fully on position a few weeks ago. What kind of treatment am I looking at?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That was probably it then. You can use raw unpasteurized honey on it [ a natural antimicrobial + promotes tissue granulation ] Just mix it with a slight amount of warm water , about 1 part honey to 4 parts water and apply that daily. If you use honey be sure there are never any loose insects hiding in the tank. You can use silver sulfadiazene cream as well, found at most drug stores. He'll probably always have a scar but it shouldn't be a problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I bet that it was a burn, so sorry that happened! You can definitely use some silver
cream to help it out, but it will take a bit of time to heal. As AHBD said, it will likely
take some time to shed & will probably shed several times, too.
I hope it gets better soon!

Tracie

mikemcandrews

Original Poster
Thank you all. I actually couldn't find the silver burn cream but I was able to pick up some Manuka Honey. Larry seems to be perkier and overall in a better mood already! I'll update you guys in the coming weeks on how he's doing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific, the Manuka honey should really help him out. Is it looking better then?
I'm glad that he seems to acting normally & in a better mood also. Keep us posted on
him & the progress of his burn.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't tell, is it smaller ? As long as he's not in pain + acting fine that's the important thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom