Wildfires in Oregon, need help for beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted and this is an emergency... I'm not sure where to post this.

I'm currently in Australia for an unknown amount of time. My mother has been taking care of my animals while I went to see my husband and ended up stuck here. I live in Oregon and right now there are some CRAZY wildfires happening and she may need to evacuate if they can't get them under control soon. If she does, she will not only be taking my dragon but she will also be taking my snake and two cats. She has a fairly small vehicle. So far we have planned for the cats to have the back seat in carriers/harnesses leashed to the headrests and the snake and dragon will be up front with her. My snake will be in a secure plastic container that I've already had prepared for travel for him and requires much less than the dragon. I'm trying to find a travel carrier to simplify things for my mom so when she does get to a destination she can provide proper lighting for my dragon without having to do a whole setup like I have for him normally. Just need something to get by for an unknown amount of time. She is not very good at paying attention to detail which makes this so much more stressful. So please, if anyone can help... I want to prepare her as much as I can from a distance.

I haven't been able to find something quite large enough on amazon that I could have sent to her and I'm not even sure it can get to her???? But I'm going to try sending stuff. I have a Megaray MVB lamp but nothing to lift it up high enough to a safe distance for use on the go. The Arcadia T5 bulb I'm using is probably not producing much UVB anymore and needs replacing now or soon? But I don't have an immediate replacement that I can think of off the top of my head. And I have concerns if she left a bulb on the carrier that it could potentially melt plastic that may get in the way. I'm very emotional over what's happening and am looking for advice or tips/ideas on what I should or could do to help. I'm worried sick right now, please help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, boy this is really stressful for a lot of people and pet owners have a particularly unique situation. Tell your mom she can get any large plastic tote from any store like Walmart, Home Depot, Dollar General, etc. Preferably the see through ones but any large one will do. A small piece of screen to cover one side that you can set the uvb + heat bulb on will do the job temporarily. The dragon only need be xset up at the destination, not during travel. During travel a small plastic container with newspaper on the bottom and a good bit of shredded newspaper and /or paper towels to absorb any dragon poo. I've transporrted dragons like that and when they have to " go " it just absorbs in the paper . All of thsat can be stored in the large plastic tote while she's traveling. Room temp. in the car, around 75 , should be fine for all the animals. Once she gets to er destination she can set up the large tote like I mentioned, with one basking log or piece of decor under the screen part where the heat + uvb will sit. Your dragon can even get by setting the to tote out in the sun for uvb if it's not TOO hot out , mid morning or early evening. You can send your mom this info so she has some idea what to do.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for responding! It is a living nightmare. She has been doing as much as she can to prepare if she must evacuate and says she is having troubles getting everything done. I'll pass that information on to her but I'm not sure if she will get it done. The air quality is horrible right now and it has been raining ashes. Some of my family has already had to evacuate their homes. I'm so worried the air quality alone is going to hurt the animals and her. If she does have to evacuate she doesn't have a place to go other than to a shelter and she's been saying she believes she will be stuck living in the car for a while with the animals. I really hope it doesn't come to this extreme! I've ordered some things for her and hope they make it to her beforehand. I really wish I was home to do this all myself, it's so stressful. :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would suggest she take some of them to a shelter and leave them there or a rescue center until she or you can come back to get them -- that may be a better solution or even someone who she knows a friend etc that could help out
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Seen some reports about these wild fires on the news - scary situation for millions of americans.

I concur , a tub ( tote ) with a clip on lid is the way to go .

If your mum has access to a electric soldering iron, it's easy to add ventilation hole in each small side of the tub ( I suggest a pattern of 50 - 100 at 2cm centres in each each ( only high near the lid, the other near the bottom ).
This will provide more than enough air circulation.

Line the floor with absorbant paper towels.

The tub can be strapped to a back seat when on the road ( if hot and sunny shade from direct sun ).
For evac travel purposes , you can probably make do with a tub between 27L to 50L for a full grown bearded dragon and that will fit on a passenger seat or go on the floor in front of seat nicely.

If it's going to need to be on a seat, clip (lock) the lid down and use board straps to fasten to ensure it don't go flying if you have to stop suddenly.

An even easier option is a pillow case or to invest in a calico bag that's large enough for the dragon go inside , this can have the opening secured with a rubber band , and allow room for the dragon to curl up . This can then travel on the lap in a cardboard shoe box when evacuating .

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas Karrie! Our friends aren't in a position to be able to help unfortunately. They're in the same boat as us. I fear taking them to a shelter or a rescue would lead to losing them somehow or they will need to be evacuated as well even.

My bearded dragon is special needs. He doesn't eat on his own and needs special care when feeding. I taught my mother how to do this carefully in my absence and worry a new handler wouldn't have the patience to be as careful and look out for his needs. I'm trying to simplify the heating situation in the car and at a destination for her to set up in case of an evacuation. If she can't give him proper lighting should she just give him fluids and not food and for how long if so? And I don't know what to do for the air quality?

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Kingofnobbys for responding to my post! It is really stressful and scary. I hope they get it under control very soon!

I will pass the information along to my mother. I do have breathable snake bags already that she can put the snake and beardie in temporarily so that's good! I ordered a top loading pet carrier for her from amazon to simplify for now unless something easier comes up. I'm worried that the lamp may overlap the wire part and still melt the plastic so fingers crossed this works... My mother isn't tool handy or I would order a tote for her to make suitable. I'm trying to not overwhelm her with tasks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well you can always try a pet store that might house the dragon or know of someone that could take him that would be aware of the special needs - I cant see her living out of her car especially w/ the dragon - she needs to have some sort of electricity for the basking / UVB lamps - he would not last long w/ out the correct basking temps - especially for special needs etc .. she could inquire at either a rescue center or pet store if they knew of someone that could offer that kind of help -- some one who could volunteer and someone w/ experience - I do understand the concern tho -- is their no family that is out of the fire zone ?
Those are just some ideas of what she could do -- I feel for all those out there in those areas where this is going on --
As far as feeding dragons can go a long time w/ out eating -- hydration she can always give by dropping water on his nose --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A snake bag is fine for the snake but not for the beardie. A small plastic or even cardboard container with lots of shredded newspaper. I've had dragons shipped to me in cloth bags and when they poo in it it's a huge mess and a nightmare. Use just a box , lots of shredded newspaper. Being in a bag would also be more stressful for the beardie.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@KarrieRee

As far as a pet store or someone taking care of him for us... I guess if it comes to that we will have to figure it out then. But right now I'm not comfortable leaving him somewhere else or with a stranger. I would fear someone trying to steal him or worse, neglecting him. I feel that he is the safest with mom with me instructing her.

As far as my family goes, my uncles house was burned down and his wife and him are staying at my grandmothers who will be next in line to evacuate basically. My sister and mom are next in line after that and there's no one else to go to for us. Everyone is preparing to have to evacuate.

I ordered some hand warmers and will instruct her on how to use them to keep him comfortable for the time he would be without his basking light. He is overall healthy however, he has intention tremors and does not eat on his own. But without his basking light could I still instruct her to give him baby food (for the calories basically) and use the hand warmers to help him digest if it came down to it? Or would it be better to just withhold food until he can have his light again and for how long could it be safe for a otherwise healthy dragon to go without food? These are critical questions I have in case it comes down to that.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@AHBD

Yeah he's pooped in his bag before and it sucked to clean lol... I'll let her know. She will probably just put him in the pet carrier I ordered long as it gets to her in time with paper towels and a blanket for him to snuggle into. He is pretty much potty trained to go in water so hopefully that makes it easier for her to deal with his bowel movements.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
An adult can easily go several days [ even longer ] with no food. That shouldn't be a problem. I really feel for you guys and everyone in this situation.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":16m2q05l said:
A snake bag is fine for the snake but not for the beardie. A small plastic or even cardboard container with lots of shredded newspaper. I've had dragons shipped to me in cloth bags and when they poo in it it's a huge mess and a nightmare. Use just a box , lots of shredded newspaper. Being in a bag would also be more stressful for the beardie.

Yep, I did think of that, but thought I'd suggest it as something a likely panicked lizard sitter ( mum ) might do in a pinch ( bush fires move fast , so she might not have a lot of time when the knock from the cops or Nat Guard or firefighters on the door happens.

I strongly ADVISE she pack up the grab bags and docs , and pets and be ready to put the pets and herself in the car at a moments notice , don't wait to be told to leave at the last minute ( that's a recipy for disaster and one of the main ways people end up trapped in their homes or cars .

In fact - I advise she lockup and leave well before she's told to ….

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@AHBD

Thank you for answering my question. And yes it's heartbreaking what's happening. I feel so helpless and worried being so far away. I wish there was more I could do for my babies and mother. :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
https://wildfiretoday.com/2017/09/06/maps-of-wildfires-in-the-northwest-u-s/
https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/06/15/maps-of-the-bush-fire-northeast-of-phoenix/
PR-WA-CA_fires_9-6-2017.jpg

ID_MT_fires-9-6-2017-900x734.jpg

https://wildfiretoday.com/2017/09/06/wildfire-smoke-creates-unhealthy-air-in-the-northwest-u-s-wednesday/
https://wildfiretoday.com/2017/09/11/wildfires-persist-in-the-cascades-and-northern-rockies/
I hope these help you determine what your mum needs to do to stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom