Sick beardie :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbseven

Sorry for the very long post

I took in a bearded dragon through a friend who was no longer interested in the poor creature. We took her to a vet where it was confirmed she is loaded with parasites. She’s currently on a 3 day on/10 day off cycle of antibiotics. She’s extremely thin and probably smaller than she should be, but we don’t know her actual age, just that she’s at least 2 years old.
She has been receiving hydration therapy as well as another vitamin injection (the name escapes me right now) every 3-4 days. I have seen a very great improvement in her coloring and personality over the past couple of weeks of all of this...eating her greens and some soldier fly larvae in addition to oxbow critical care (mixing in some calcium powder and baby food squash). I assume the weight gain would be a lengthy process as she was probably like this for some time.
Her blood work test came in today which the Doctor described as “bleak”. Her red and white blood cell count is extremely low, along with albumin, globulin, and uric acid levels. X-rays didn’t show any obstructions or anything else out of the ordinary. They also recommended starting a weekly iron shot.
She seems to have some fight in her. So my question is, is there anything I should be doing in addition to this? And of course the more sad question, which I hate to even ask, is it worth it for her quality of life or am I just prolonging her possible suffering?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If she is showing signs of improvement then I would not give up- the lighting in her tank is crucial to her health and improvement- can you please tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank? Basking temps and how are you taking them? Tracie our vet tech mod and ahbd can help more w/ the medical care-- do you have copies of the blood work and anything else done? If you do please post it so Tracie can read it
Karrie

Jbseven

Original Poster
That was actually going to be my next question about the lighting. I haven’t been able to upgrade her setup too much because of the vet bills, but I do want to.
Currently I am using MyComfyPets UVB Light and UVA 2-in-1 Reptile Bulb 100W on one side of the tank, over the mesh. The temperature I take with a thermal thermometer and it is generally around 100-103 f, on that side. The cooler side Is usually around 75 f. When it’s warm and sunny, I have been also spending some time with her on my balcony to let her get some sunlight.
And yes, I do have a pdf of the results. Can I email the bloodwork? I’m not able to upload through my phone

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I will let Tracie get w/ you about the emailing -- I am not familiar w/ that brand -- the only thing I can tell you is I would replace w/ what I know works and is considered the best on the market at this time
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it is equivalent to a T 8 it can be used as a back up but the distance would be different -
And this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html
I recommend you getting this ASAP -- you have options for this T 5 - depending on the screen - it its a fine mesh like a screen door it would need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - if its a wide holed screen like a dime it can sit on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece
You would need a bright white basking bulb no off colored yellowish bulbs some thing like this
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-basking-bulbs/1669-intense-basking-spot-100w-exo-terra.html your IR gun is good as well but its nice to have the probe too --
Its good shes outside for some good UVB thats going to help her as well -- but the UVB I recommend is going to really help her out
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear about the sad little creature but at least she is responding to treatment. It's great that she's eating, that's always a positive sign. Can you post full body shot pics of her please ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, she has had a rough go of things. I will PM you my email so you can email me
your blood test results.
That particular brand of UVB light I am not familiar with. Where did you get that one from?
At least she has been showing some progress though, that's great news! Are you also giving
her a probiotic of some type, too while she's on medications?

Tracie

Jbseven

Original Poster
109277-3843183885.jpg
109277-3404353741.jpg

The first image is when we took her in, a little over a month ago. Her bones are so visible it’s sad ? The second image was taken 2 days ago, she’s still thinner than she should be, but I can see she is putting on some weight. Her hips look less visible and I can feel some thickness forming to her front and back legs. And she also feels so much stronger and is climbing around much more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I did get your email, so I will be emailing you! Sorry for the delay, it was hectic today.
She is very thin, that is too bad. I am glad to hear you are seeing some weight gain.
Be sure to go slowly with her, so her kidneys don't get stressed from protein, etc.
Are you keeping her a little warmer overnight too right now?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom