Lethargic baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 baby beardies i plan on separating by next week. One of them is great, healthy, running around and eating good, and i can already see she is getting bigger. The other one is more tired, i see her running in the tank hunting for crickets but she never goes for worms (she went for worms once and the other beardie took it from her mouth so i think she’s scared now) everytime i pick her up she is very limp and not very interactive like the other one. i also don’t see her eat or poop as often which worries me, by next week i should have them separated so i can really see how much she’s eating compared to the other one. I thought maybe the tank was too cool(usually around 100) but wouldn’t they both be acting the same if the tank wasn’t hot enough? Today i noticed the temp dropped to 85 in their basking spot which i know is way too low, so i switched the bulb and it didn’t change much. i ordered a new thermometer incase mine just isn’t accurate. I’ve been using a 100w heating bulb in a 40 gallon tank, should i go up to 150w?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not till you get a digital probe thermometer-- if you have a pet smart or petco near you go get one- your little one you need to feed separate from the other one - put him in a tote or something small and feed him separately - the other one is already dominating and that is not good -- what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please they are inadequate for a 40 gallon tank -- your going to need two of every thing --- and you will need to keep them from seeing each other as well -- we dont know the sexes yet -- if you need help w/ getting lighting please ask and I will help -- we mostly use long tube fixtures on this forum and that is what we recommend -- if you need help I will help you get those tanks set up so your babies are thriving
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jzekk8q said:
Not till you get a digital probe thermometer-- if you have a pet smart or petco near you go get one- your little one you need to feed separate from the other one - put him in a tote or something small and feed him separately - the other one is already dominating and that is not good -- what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please they are inadequate for a 40 gallon tank -- your going to need two of every thing --- and you will need to keep them from seeing each other as well -- we dont know the sexes yet -- if you need help w/ getting lighting please ask and I will help -- we mostly use long tube fixtures on this forum and that is what we recommend -- if you need help I will help you get those tanks set up so your babies are thriving
Karrie

I actually just ordered a digital one off amazon and it should be here in 2 days. I just don’t know why the temp shows that it goes up and down sometimes. I put the little one on a rock in his basking spot but he will jump off shortly after and lay on the ground. tHis is the uvb bulb i use
109154-7635457744.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of it ---- your going to need two of these for the two tanks
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this is a 24"
They come w/ 5.0 bulbs you can keep them for a back up the distance is different from the 10.0 bulb -- you need to get these ASAP -- your dragons will quit eating w/ the UVB your using now --
this website I referred you to is my go to place they are fast and they ship Fed Ex and they sell out of these quick --- the basking spot may be too hot we wont know till you get the probe to get that temp - you can go to your local home improvement store and get a infrared heat gun for like $20 - they come in real handy -- you dont need a spendy one--- but we must get your lighting in order first and basking temps to keep your dragons eating - and you need to work on getting them separated
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":380f82t5 said:
Please get rid of it ---- your going to need two of these for the two tanks
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this is a 24"
They come w/ 5.0 bulbs you can keep them for a back up the distance is different from the 10.0 bulb -- you need to get these ASAP -- your dragons will quit eating w/ the UVB your using now --
this website I referred you to is my go to place they are fast and they ship Fed Ex and they sell out of these quick --- the basking spot may be too hot we wont know till you get the probe to get that temp - you can go to your local home improvement store and get a infrared heat gun for like $20 - they come in real handy -- you dont need a spendy one--- but we must get your lighting in order first and basking temps to keep your dragons eating - and you need to work on getting them separated
Karrie

Would this work?
109154-672925297.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is what I posted from pangea-- you have a fixture for that bulb? It needs to be 24"
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ejkd8bh said:
Yes that is what I posted from pangea-- you have a fixture for that bulb? It needs to be 24"
Karrie
I’m looking for fixtures on petco right now so i can try and pick them up ASAP but no luck so far, i might be better off ordering them. How do these go on the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Petco and Petsmart do carry the fixture but not the size I am recommending they carry 20" I think and 18" and you want a 24" pangea has good prices and they are fast - and shipping is $6.99 -- depending on the tank screen the T 5's have options --- for a fine screen like a screen door it would need to go inside the tank -- for a wide holed screen like a dime it can sit on top both have certain distance for placements --
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3jgi0i71 said:
Petco and Petsmart do carry the fixture but not the size I am recommending they carry 20" I think and 18" and you want a 24" pangea has good prices and they are fast - and shipping is $6.99 -- depending on the tank screen the T 5's have options --- for a fine screen like a screen door it would need to go inside the tank -- for a wide holed screen like a dime it can sit on top both have certain distance for placements --
Karrie

Okay i have the 22” bulb and the 24” fixture in my cart. i have a fine screen on the top of the tank, will i need to buy any additional items in order to set up the light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you getting two of them? No the fixtures and bulbs are all you need for now - I can post how to hang w/ the fine screen -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is some info on UVB's -- I have had more dragons w/ issues w/ people using the coils than I can count and the outcome on some of them have not been good - some people catch it right away and others that dont well its not a good outcome
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":bmlz8g3t said:
Here is some info on UVB's -- I have had more dragons w/ issues w/ people using the coils than I can count and the outcome on some of them have not been good - some people catch it right away and others that dont well its not a good outcome
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Karrie

Today i noticed the lethargic beardie has something stuck on her butt area, it looks like it could be poop that’s stuck. i gave her a bath and she drank the water in there. Could this mean she was dehydrated? i’m sure it’s because she hasn’t been eating her veggies

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes if shes drinking from the bath she was thristy--- keep offering her water -- either by dripping on her nose or by bath I really dont recommend bathing since you just got them and it stresses them out so bad -- I would try and get them to drink by either dropper or by dripping water on the nose till they stop -- is she eating anything ? I would get some BSFL ordered or try and find them in your pet shops they are also known as nutri grubs phoenix worms or calci worms -- get large and add them to the top of the salads first thing when feeding -- add them in front of her so it gets them to the salad bowl you will need a glass or ceramic bowl - you can order them from here
www.symptonbsf.com do not dust them they are calcium enriched
I can post more websites for worms/ insects here later today
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3oc93zjp said:
Yes if shes drinking from the bath she was thristy--- keep offering her water -- either by dripping on her nose or by bath I really dont recommend bathing since you just got them and it stresses them out so bad -- I would try and get them to drink by either dropper or by dripping water on the nose till they stop -- is she eating anything ? I would get some BSFL ordered or try and find them in your pet shops they are also known as nutri grubs phoenix worms or calci worms -- get large and add them to the top of the salads first thing when feeding -- add them in front of her so it gets them to the salad bowl you will need a glass or ceramic bowl - you can order them from here
http://www.symptonbsf.com do not dust them they are calcium enriched
I can post more websites for worms/ insects here later today
Karrie

Right after i gave her water she laid down for a bit and hunted for a cricket and got one, then she laid back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom