My Beardie Is Really Sick - Mouth Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The thing about a saggy beard is that it can be a number of things or not be a health problem at all. How much calcium powder do you use ? Here is a thread about a swollen beard and what some possibilities are. As for the meds. being bad if they weren't necessary, they can affect the kidneys if too much is given and if the beardie is not hydrated well. So check this out.

viewtopic.php?p=1868279#p1868003

You can Google "bearded dragon swollen beard" and find other threads as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes he should if done bloodwork before administing antibiotics- it would show elevated blood cell count-
Karrie

mlggator

Original Poster
He gets crickets or dubias 3 to 4 days a week and I dust his insects with calcium each time I feed the insects.
I am going to read those posts. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. I am so new to being a lizard mama. But I love my guy so much.

So I do also have some good news. So I just got back from taking my son to karate, and came over to mist him with some water. I sprayed some on his nose, and he never drinks this way when I do this, but I thought why not try. And lo and behold, he began licking it off. So I started to give him more from the spray bottle slowly and he was really lapping it up. Then I switched to a syringe to give it to him. He got a lot of water in him tonight. He was really thirsty. I haven't been able to get him to drink since he has been sick, so I feel a bit more hopeful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great ! Keep offering water like that, he may drink every day or every few days. Don't worry too much if he doesn't eat much, hydration is the best thing right now. With calcium powder that has D3 don't use too much of it , just a very light coating on one meal a day or every other day.

mlggator

Original Poster
I had to rush Lizard to the vet today. He was having trouble breathing. They are now keeping him overnight, treating him with stronger antibiotics, taking x-rays, blood, and growing cultures of what's in his mouth. The pus/discharge in mouth has increased. He is going downhill so fast. He was healthy a week ago! or at least appeared to be.
They are giving him a 50/50 chance.

I'm so sad and have been crying all day. Here is a pic of him prior to taking him vet. He is just spiraling so fast.
105964-7498092437.jpg

This has been the worst year!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry --- I hope they can figure out what is wrong w/ him --- he looks terrible -- please keep us posted on him --
Karrie

mlggator

Original Poster
More bad news. His x-rays showed pneumonia and possibly adenovirus. If adenovirus, then it will be hard to treat.
I'm so so heartbroken.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that;s really hard to see , I'm so sorry. :( Yes an R.I + pneumonia are some of the things that can cause fluid in the beard. I hope your baby doesn't have ADV and I hope he can get through this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about your boy.
Are they doing blood work on him as well? I would highly suggest asking the vet about
nebulization treatments to help out for the pneumonia.
As far as the adeno virus, it can be treated & sometimes cleared out. Are they testing for
that?
Let us know how he is doing, I realize he is very critical.

Tracie

mlggator

Original Poster
We had to euthanize Lizard last night. When we got his blood work back there were some serious issues going on with his liver and the vet thought for sure based on that and some spots on his lungs that these were very indicative of ADV. It was all too much for our little boy. I'm really distraught.

It all happened so fast, but probably not really. Now I am trying to figure out how he got ADV. We only had him a year. The vet thinks he had it when we got him and it was dormant.

Does that make sense?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure about that but anything is possible I guess -- I am really sorry to hear about Lizard- :cry: -- it comes on too quick sometimes - if you have copies of the blood work you might want to post them so Tracie can look at them and give you some insight on what she thinks -- so young for him to pass :( again I am sorry
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom