My Beardie Is Really Sick - Mouth Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree hes too hot -- do not run the ceramic heat emitter if your tank is 65 -- its when it gets below 65-- if your house is hot then do not run the basking lamps - its going to effect the temp in his tank --- keep an eye on the temps in the tank --- your tank should not be hotter than 110 on the basking side -
I would stop the injections and find a new vet----
www.arav.org
But I think hes reacting to the heat --- also please NO more bananas -- and I would offer water by dripping water on his nose -- if he licks keep dripping until he stops --
Karrie

mlggator

Original Poster
First, I really want to thank the two of you for helping me last night. It is such a source of comfort to come on here and hear from those of you who understand Beardies and for you to offer your help.

I am going to attach some pics that I just took of him this morning. He has just woken up. I will try to get a picture inside his mouth a little later this morning and post that.

I guess my big question now is if this behavior is because he is sick, overheated (although these symptoms started before the big heat), or getting ready to brumate. He is my first dragon, so I am really inexperienced in a lot of this.

105964-1323482935.jpg
105964-8306729151.jpg
105964-4319985393.jpg

Pictures in post above were taken on Saturday afternoon. These were taken just a few minutes ago (Tuesday morning).

What do you guys think?

mlggator

Original Poster
I couldn't get him to open his mouth. I tried covering his eyes and also running my finger along his mouth to encourage him to open it. He wouldn't.

It's not hot here at all now. And he's still looking bad. He is not hot at all, but doesn't want to go to the basking side of his cage. Used the temperature gun, basking side was 96 and non-basking side is 80.

Here are some more pics that show his beard that I just took of him. The pics make the swelling of his beard look less than it really appears.
105964-803480847.jpg
105964-9917110446.jpg

What should I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB where is it? On top of the screen ? What are you using for a UVB brand and bulb ?
Karrie

mlggator

Original Poster
It is on top of the screen. I am able to mount it underneath. Here is the bulb I am using.

Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent Lamp, 22"

I have a 36 by 24 by 18 habitat by Carolina Cages. I use a thick industrial acrylic felt for his substrate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or wide holed like a dime?
Karrie

mlggator

Original Poster
His screen is wider than the window type screens, but closer to that than dime sized spacing. Spacing is probably 3mm.

You can actually see it in the pics above from the shot I took under him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah I was looking at that -- his basking decor is 8-10 inches directly underneath the UVB? It can stay on top it just needs to be placed like that --- as far as that beard I am not a medical person and have not a clue as to what would be causing that -- Tracie and AHBD are gonna haft to help you on that one--
Karrie

mlggator

Original Poster
I just got back is fecal results and they are all negative.

I'm so worried about my little man.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you get a copy of those results? If you did post the results so Tracie can see them if not call and have them email them to you-- did they put him on meds and if so what?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, poor Lizard is not feeling well and that beard is pretty puffy. It's possible that he was going to try to brumate, then he was stressed by the vet visit , the shot and then the high temps. Sort of a combination of things is my guess. Are you getting him to drink ? He needs hydration and rest. He doesn't need food because he's quite large and he was going to do a bit of sleeping but since he's on antibiotic he should definitely have oral hydration. Try not to worry too much, he will probably come through alright. He's not going to have an appetite and that's O.K.

mlggator

Original Poster
Okay, I took him to the vet to get his second antibiotic and they were concerned. They didn't want to give him another antibiotic shot until the vet saw him. So my tech visit has turned into a vet visit. I'll post what the vet says.

Should I plan to give him a hydrating bath tomorrow? He usually won't drink water, even when dripped on his nose. So I make sure to give him a soak regularly and also spray his veggies with extra water. Since he's not eating, he is not getting water.

mlggator

Original Poster
Okay, I just talked to the vet. He thinks that he definitely has an infection which is causing all the swelling in his beard area. Also said that he is looking a little worse (which makes me want to cry). He gave him another injection, and says that he may need to get force feeding.

Where do I go to learn how to do that. I got the reptiboost coming. He also mention a carnivore one for him since he is still young.

He wants to see him again in 3 days to reevaluate the effectiveness of the antibiotic he is being given.

My poor baby. I'm so scared for him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Make sure to post blood test here when you get them. There's no sign of mouth rot but the vets feel there is some type of infection. If you want to continue with the injections that's your choice, I can understand that. The Carivore Care + Repta boost are both given via syringe so you can drip it on his snout or wiggle the tip between his lips and slowly give it that way. You can Google on line how to give meds. with a syringe, it's the same with supplements.

mlggator

Original Poster
AHBD, I trust your expertise. Why would it not be wise to give him the antibiotics? If it is an infection, he would need it. If no infection, would it be detrimental to have it?
I feel like I have a vet telling one thing and then you guys on here telling me another. I'm so confused and just want a healthy beardie.

Vet said if there is no improvement by Friday, they will do blood tests. So we haven't done that yet. Should he have that already?

And thank you, everyone, who has contributed to my post. I appreciate all the words of encouragement and great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom