Not a beardie but i still need urgent help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Hello all. This post is ot about my dragons, more in precaution to them, it is about my northern green frogs in my pond. Green frogs are suseptable to a disease called ranavirus. Im scared three of our frogs have this. Bearded dragons are able to get sime strains of this virus that afect both amphibians and reptiles. Ive noticed over the past week my frogs have been develouping these sores on there skin. Most are on the tympanium or near the face. This could be something im getting worked up about for nothing but ima take that extra precaution. It could bery well be a mammal attack from something like a possum or bird. Il work on getting pics. Basicly the three frogs being infected are all northern green frogs, Rana/Lithobates clamitans. The three being affected are all adults. There names are turtle (biggest male) goose (second biggest male) and i think we are calling the female duckie. Around the tympanium on turtle and goose are all sore and hemorraged. The duckie has her toes all red and torn apart she also has a large spot on her nose but that could be from jumping into a rock. Let me know if this sounds like ranavirus. Im very worried about my bds and my other frogs and geckos

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Please do post the pictures and be sure to research + check other sources + pictures on this virus. It does sound like they have it sadly, I would think that if a possum or raccoon attacked they would have been eaten rather than just wounded, especially if all frogs were involved. So sorry to hear this. I wonder if applying raw honey and putting them in a moist temp. " hospital " set up might be helpful. Just grabbing at straws.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
BTW, is your pond one of the small black plastic or is this a bigger pond ? Can other amphibians gain access to it ? It's so contagious that either your frogs have possibly been affected by other native amphibs and they may be contagious now to other critters that might come to the pond. And be sure to wash your hands extremely well if you handle them or anything around the pond. Too bad this happened, I feel for you.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes and no. we dug it out but it has a liner. its bigger than the black tub ponds but mabey 10 by 8 ft. other amphibians can come but the ones that we brought are the only ones coming. i dont think they want to travel an acer to get to a pond. besides its across our lawn and they are very vulnerable. the big guys are the only ones showing traits of the virus. all of the small neonates seem fine. what should i do with the fish. we could possibly move them to a kiddie pool. they are shebunkans rosie minnows and comets. the reason why i wouldnt move them is because we just bought these fish 2 days ago. the pond was installed about 3 weeks ago and the frogs have been here for 2. would the virus come that fast, all were very healthy when i fished them up/ netted them. we have a small dog who likes to chew on things but i think that shes A to slow to catch a frog and B she cant inflict a woulnd like these guys have. the pic i will post is of goose who is looking the worst. all are still active. also do you think a 10 gal would be sufficient for the frogs. i have nowhere for them exept outside and no other tanks. im very worried about one of the frogs who i think carrys the axanthic morph wich makes them blue. ive never seen him all blue but ive seen small splotches and dots on his face. i would take them to the vet but my parents wont fund "taking a wild animal to the vet" because if the price. if i were to pay i would have to kiss all my hopes and dreams of breeding leopard geckos goodbye because that would not be possible for another 2 years. ARRRGG im so stuck on what to do. also who would i notify about a ranavirus outbreak. im a part of the chicago herp soc. do you think the best course of action would be to notify them. plus all my neighbors have garden ponds. should i notify them about a potential frog virus outbreak

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this has happened! Pictures would definitely be helpful in this
situation when you can get them.
I am not experienced with the ranavirus but have heard of it. It is contagious for sure. Can
you possibly get one tested for it, or not?
I would definitely talk to the other members of the society just to get their opinions on it, too
since you are already a member.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
duckieis the easyest frog to catch because she has a pop out rock that used to belong to turtle she hides behind. i was able to get her this morning because he is cold still from the night. as you see in the pictures his tympanum is very sore. his toes look like either all the pigmentation in the skin is gone or its just, rotting almost.
tell me if this seems like ranavirus or not. turtle probally got it best. when i find goose il show you. ive not seen turtle in a few days. its possible he could have left... he doesnt leave for long or he just might be in my neibors pond. he will return soon tho

107025-5827453677.jpg
107025-3655985543.jpg
107025-7912072376.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not as familiar with frogs + the illnesses they get but having heard of the Ranavirus and just seeing pictures is the extent of my knowledge . Your frog does look like it potentially has it but that's a totally uneducated guess. You might submit your pictures to your herp society and see what some of the frog people think. I wish you the best !

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bad news, one of the frogs died. it was actually the same one that the pic was of, duckie, i havent seen any sign of goose or turtle for the whole weekend wich only makes me wonder if they are still alive. what makes me curious though is that none of the young frogs have gotton sick, i mean like none are sick they are all fine. they havent been as active as usual and i think that is because it has been so cold lately. i might bring one or two into my garage to hibernate them just so i can ensure that they have a safe winter and its probally just going to be the one with a bit of blue on his face i think hes called an axthantic and its like a lack of yellow pigmentation. anyways my garage is a freebe for hibernation because it only gets to mabey 30 degrees on a nice day in winter. what im going to do with the fish still gets me because frankly i dont know yet. i was planing on making something for my big man this fall because hes starting to out grow his 40 gal wich to me is bizarre because it feels like we just got him as a little guy yesterday. i have not owned a fish for years and i dont remember much. they are mainly gold fish with some rosie minnows. do i need a substrate for them ive actually seen somepeople use lots of aquatic plants and make it reaky dence and i like that look. if any one knows how to care for fish or why the young frogs arent catching the virus let me know

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wish I could help but I don't have much experience with frogs + fish at all other than when I had my dart frogs. It's so nice to have these hobbies and to see how dedicated you are to trying to care for your critters. Although there are ups + downs it's usually rewarding and absorbing. If you search for forums that cater to fish + amphibians no doubt you'll get some help. There might be a small sub forum here down below if you check. Best wishes for a good outcome !

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the reason i asked here was because when i asked on frog forum i got no reply. i dont know of any fish forums off the top of my head but i look maby a garden pond forum woiuld be a good place to check to :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom