Juvenile hasn't eaten on own since June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronk212

Original Poster
KarrieRee":16sfe9gb said:
Is this a current pic? I am not seeing your T 8
Karrie

The T8 is on the back left inside mounted using zip ties. I can take another pic if that helps.

Kronk212

Original Poster
KarrieRee":chywftgt said:
Is this a current pic? I am not seeing your T 8
Karrie

Yes, this is a current pic. The T8 is mounted inside to the back left in this pic, using zip ties. I can send another photo if that helps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No your good --- please get a piece of decor and put it directly underneath the UVB 6-8 inches -- I dont know what the distance is now but it looks a little too far away -- I caught the end of the fixture when I really looked at it -- it was kind of blending in w/ the screen -- :)
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I didn't read all of the relies but the amount of time on antibiotics was totally unnecessary and your breeder's advice was also harmful, seems to be made up. Your beardie definitely needs cooler temps., not 120 hot end and 85-90 cool end. . He must be a noob breeder pulling that " advice " out of the air. Did you look at reviews of this breeder before buying your dragon ?

Anyway, after all he's been through it may take a while before he eats on his own but as long as he doesn't have kidney damage from the meds. and then the high temps. dehydrating him he may bounce back now. Keep him well hydrated and be patient and see how he does.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us?
Keep us updated on your dragon, I hope he is feeling better.

Tracie

Kronk212

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback! We’ve had no change with Kronk outside of his beard shed yesterday, the first time we’ve had shed in months. Maybe that’s a good sign? He still won’t eat and hides most of the day. We continue to force feed wax worms and large meal worms (awaiting an order for BSFL, as suggested) every other day. We also forced a small amount of veggies and fruit in him. Once you get the food in his mouth, he chews and swallows normally. But he ignores any moving insects and his plates of greens.

I will request blood work results today; they were closed for the holiday weekend.

If you think I should stop the force feeding, please advise. I’m just concerned with his weight. We also bathe him several times a week as that’s how he prefers to drink water. So I think we are keeping him hydrated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please lay off the wax worms -- they are real fatty and long term can cause liver issues- you can try some super worms - so no change in the eating dept how about basking is he under his UVB ? Is he losing weight?
Karrie

Kronk212

Original Poster
109253-935264146.jpg

This is typically what he does, finds the coolest darkest corner and lays there. His weight this morning is 224 g so stable. We periodically force him on one of his perches and he will sit for only a few minutes then returns to the dark.

For food, I’ve been trying to get super worms for a month now. I’ve been told from 2 places that there’s a nationwide shortage. We’ve got dubias that are enormous now since he hasn’t eaten for 2 months. I can cut those in half or offer him the large meal worms until I get the larvae order in later this week. Is one choice better than the other?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB is a T 8? How old is it? How far is the UVB from his decor piece? Is he sitting under the UVB?
Does he have a hide? If not I would get one--- I am wondering if hes trying to go into brumation? One choice better than one? Are you talking about the roaches or the BSFL? They are both good staple feeders w/ the BSFL you dont haft to dust them-- you can get supers on line--- you can get all 3 supers silk and roaches from here
www.reptilianarts.com they usually carry silk in bulk like 50 they come small but w/ no food you would need to order food they do have cupped w/ food - at this point tho if hes not eating I would stay w/ what your are feeding for now -- I really am thinking hes trying to brumate and since hes not losing weight its him --- I had my oldest quit eating for a while and I thought he was sick too I had Xrays done blood work everything you could imagine to see what was wrong w/ him I was force feeding critical care -------- turns out he was not sick nothing showed on anything done - it was him wasnt losing weight or gaining finally I quit w/ the force feeding and he went right back to eating -- so you can try and not force feed and let him do his thing just watch his weight and if he starts to loose weight I mean alot of it then there is concern -- but a a little is normal for brumation - just keep him hydrated -- you can see what AHBD and Tracie think but from my experience this is what I think --
Karrie

Kronk212

Original Poster
He can hide under both wood structures in his tank. And he often does. I have also found him under his reptile carpet. My concern in letting him do this all day is that he’s not getting any light. So that’s why we keep pulling him out every now and again and putting him on his basking site.

One more thing, not sure it’s important but will mention anyway. He seems to have a permanent gray beard. Not black but gray. We thought it was because he was shedding, which he did, but it’s still there.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Again, just be patient. I was recently on antibiotics for 10 days [ only my second time on antibitx in my life ] and I felt queasy for almost 2 weeks after. Kronk was on them for far too long and they definitely affected his appetite.. Then the force feeding is somewhat stressful but it's O.K to continue at least every few days. Hydration is still very important as well. He should get his appetite back , just wait it out and don't take him back to that vet .

Kronk212

Original Poster
109253-7987993871.jpg

Here are lab results. They are Greek to me but I do recall that the vet called me to say the first panel did not include a CBC so she asked them to then run a CBC. My gut tells me this is the first panel and does not include the CBC so I’ve asked for them to see if there is more lab work to share. I appreciate all the help here!

Kronk212

Original Poster
109253-2801479628.jpg

As suspected, there was another set of labs. Above is the results of his CBC. If the bloodwork provides any more answers, please let me know. Otherwise, we will stay the course and hope he turns around soon. Thanks!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello, wbc and glucose look normal, which are usually the trigger values that indicate inflammation or infection; there are some other items on here that @Drache613 or @AHBD may be able to recognise as indicators as they are the true professionals but nothing screams abnormal in these results from what i can tell at face value

I know this may not be of much help- my own juvenile underwent her own hunger strike recently, which lasted just over a month. I was so worried too; and I tried everything I could !! I then went on with daily syringe feeding and supplementing with liquid calcium.. then out of the blue she literally just one day started eating again. She went from 0-100 very quickly I might add, going from cold turkey to eating 20 roaches in one sitting.. the minute she popped her shed and I swapped her uvb to reptisun HO 10 was when she turned around- so i suspect it had to be either the light or the shed... or possibly growing pains..? Apparently they can go through this too

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, as long as he isn't seemingly losing weight then he may just be slown down
some, since nothing else appears to be going on with him.
His CBC looks good also. His total protein is up just a bit but nothing unusual. The
AST (liver enzymes) & Uric acid (kidney readings) are both normal as well.
I would reduce the syringe/assisted feeding just a little bit which may help out his stress.
Hopefully his natural appetite will start to come back also.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom