My Beardie Is Really Sick - Mouth Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlggator

So on Friday, my beardie, Lizard (yes, that's his name), was a little lethargic and didn't eat all his food. On Saturday, he stopped eating and was really lethargic and I noticed his beard area looked dark and swollen. I took him to the vet on Saturday evening. They said they think it is mouth rot and saw one small suspect spot in the back of the mouth. They gave him an antibiotic injection. I have to give him antibiotic injections every three days for total of 7 injections. So he gets his next one tomorrow. He has shown no improvement since the first antibiotic injection. I spoke to another reptile vet at the same hospital on Sunday, and he said it can take up to 3 injections before improvement occurs. We also have a fecal on him that should come back tomorrow as well.
I have been crying over and over. I love this little guy so much. He is just over a year old. I cannot even imagine loosing him.
Do any of you have any advice? What can I do for him?
Please, I can't loose my baby. Could this be anything else?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it doesn't sound like mouth rot. Can you post pics of his face/beard that you say is swollen ? Mouth rot usually presents with sores on the mouth and on the gums, possibly pus along the gums as well. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

mlggator

Original Poster
105964-9764876468.jpg
105964-4402648793.jpg

So I took these on Saturday. The swelling is larger now. Additionally, he is just so lethargic. He doesn't move around his cage much at all and just lies on his belly. I am absolutely freaking out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks bright eyed and healthy ! Keep in mind that adults can go days without eating, especially this time of year near brumation season. Lots of beardies get saggy beards, there have been much worse on here and it's never from mouth rot. It can be normal in some beardies or may indicate fluid build up, sometimes an R.I. but generally it's not anything serious. Just Google " bearded dragon saggy beard " or search that topic here and you'll see a ton of threads. But if the vet is giving injections for a tiny suspect spot in his mouth I think it's the wrong treatment . Be sure to keep him well hydrated. Offer some Repto boost with extra water mixed in. I don't think he's actually sick, I think he may be getting ready for brumation.

mlggator

Original Poster
I'm in California. Would he brumate in the summer? It's been so extremely hot here. I also don't have air conditioning. Does that make sense for him to brumate now?
The vet said he looks healthy and all my husbandry has been correct.

He is just so lethargic. Eyes closed. Beard is dark and large. He tends to move away from the heat lamp too.

How would you tell brumation from being sick?

I'll take additional pics of him tomorrow and post here.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, very hot where you're at could be affecting him right now. Is it hotter in his tank because your house is hot ? If so that is probably the problem. How are you measuring the temps. in his tank and what are they ?

Fluker's Reptaboost is a powder + comes with directions on how to give it. Add extra water for more hydration. Call your local pet stores to see who carries it.

mlggator

Original Poster
The vet said it was important to keep his tank warm if he is sick because their metabolism can be really slow. We just had a heat wave on Saturday/Sunday and temps in my house were in the 90s. He also had his lamp on. I have a temperature gun. I currently have his ceramic heater on since the vet said he needs to stay warm. I can go take the temperature of the tank now. It's almost 10 pm here, so he is sleeping.

Okay, I just took the temperature with the temp gun. The side with the ceramic heater is 85 degrees right now and the other side, where he currently is, is 80 degrees.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If temps. were in the 90's just in your house and your dragon had his basking lamp on then that would have been way too hot and he could not escape, that would cause him to feel sick. If it ever gets that hot again, definitely turn off thee basking light. He doesn't have mouth rot, he was just overheated and not feeling like eating. How have you kept him hydrated ? Do you offer water ? His overnight temp. is O.K at 75-no more than 80 for sure.

mlggator

Original Poster
Should I turn off his ceramic now?

I feel like this is still more than overheating since it started before the heat wave hit. Hottest days were Saturday and Sunday. Today was okay and Thursday and Friday were okay heat wise, but he began feeling off on those days.

One other thing, I discovered he liked banana about 15 days ago. I never feed him fruits. He was really cute the way he ate it, so I gave him more, probably 4 times in 10 days. Could that be causing a problem. I didn't realize it can be an issue with phosphorous until he got sick. I told the vet, but he didn't think that would be the cause.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that too much of any new food could have some bad effects. As for your temps. tonight, if it doesn't get below 68 tonight he should be fine. If you could by chance get a pic of the inside of his mouth could you post it here ?

mlggator

Original Poster
What is the best way to get him to open his mouth?

I will get additional pics of him in the morning and I will try to get one with his mouth open.

mlggator

Original Poster
Oh, one more thing to respond to your earlier question. He does have water in his tank, but he never drinks from it. He had a soak/bath on Wednesday or Thursday of last week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it isn't mouth rot, but he is most likely having issues from overheating as AHBD
suggested. When they get too hot & can't cool off properly they lose their appetites & become
very lethargic, too.
He is a very handsome dragon, by the way.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?
I don't think that he has an infection though, have you given him his antibiotics shot already?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom