Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Faenix

Hey,
So first off sorry for the moderately dumb question. Are all Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5s the same, just different sizes? I know the compact comes in 13W and 26W, but the mini ones are not really ideal.

I currently use a "Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture", but if you touch the cord wrong it'll short out so I'm pretty sure I need to replace it. I'm contemplating going the T5 route so I'm wondering if a 14" T5 terrarium Hood with a 12" 15W T5 Reptisun will sufficiently replace a 26W Compact Reptisun.

(My current setup is a 8.5" fixture (CHE), and a Combo Deep Dome (UVB & Basking); so I was contemplating replacing the Deep Dome with another 8.5" fixture and a 14" T5 Terrarium Hood. I got a 36" long tank for my Beardie, so I'm not really able to get the next size up. Not sure how I feel about mounting it INSIDE his tank, I'd probably rather take off that section of mesh. Not really sure what "fine mesh" looks like, all looks the same to me. lol)

Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes the T5 bulbs are interchangeable and the wattage corresponds to the length of the bulb. For a 36'' enclosure I suggest using a 22'' T5 which will usually have a 24'' fixture. This will be significantly better than the compact bulbs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Faenix":2vi8jbnp said:
Hey,
So first off sorry for the moderately dumb question. Are all Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5s the same, just different sizes? I know the compact comes in 13W and 26W, but the mini ones are not really ideal. The T 5's are all the same just different sizes as you asked- the coil UVB's especially the 13 watt are horrible for causing all kinds of health issues - if you have that wattage I recommend you get rid of it ASAP- the 26 watt I have not heard anything bad as of yet- they can be used but need to be 6-8 inches from basking decor unobstructed like a fine screen mesh and replaced every 6 months and need to be in a reflective dome

I currently use a "Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture", but if you touch the cord wrong it'll short out so I'm pretty sure I need to replace it. I'm contemplating going the T5 route so I'm wondering if a 14" T5 terrarium Hood with a 12" 15W T5 Reptisun will sufficiently replace a 26W Compact Reptisun.

(My current setup is a 8.5" fixture (CHE), and a Combo Deep Dome (UVB & Basking); so I was contemplating replacing the Deep Dome with another 8.5" fixture and a 14" T5 Terrarium Hood. I got a 36" long tank for my Beardie, so I'm not really able to get the next size up. Not sure how I feel about mounting it INSIDE his tank, I'd probably rather take off that section of mesh. Not really sure what "fine mesh" looks like, all looks the same to me. lol)
As far as recommendations I recommend the tube fixture -- but I also recommend a 24" fixture - w/ the Reptisun bulb or Arcadia bulb - if you ever want to upgrade your tank that 24" fixture would go right into a bigger tank - you can take the screen off for better UVB - fine screen we mean like a screen door - wide holed would be like the size of a dime- I have a website that you can get the Zoo Med fixture pretty reasonable and the bulb I mentioned - the 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that is equivalent to the T 8 - it can be kept as a back up spare but that bulb would need to go into the tank or be unobstructed w / the screen off
Let us know what you decide and we can help
Karrie

Thanks.

zomgjosho

Hi everyone,

We're soon to be proud owners of a beardie in the next few weeks, so naturally I'm trying to research the topic to death before going further. We're set on the 36x38x18 Exo Terra, and would prefer to mount the UVB tube above the screen as opposed to below, probably going with the Zoo Med T5 Terrarium Hood. I've seen both answers so I want to just confirm if one or both will technically work. It's hard to find the 24" fixture in stock locally, but there's plenty of the 20". Would the 20" fixture (with the 18" T5 10.0 bulb) work sufficiently for this tank, or is the 22" bulb in the 24" fixture going to be better long term? Also, there's the 30" hood that uses the 22" bulbs, but would that make the positioning of the bulb incorrect?What would the basking distances be when using these? 10-12"?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 18" is a T 8 and would need to go into the tank NO Cover over bulb it needs to be exposed- 6-8 inches in the long run the 24"fixture would be best- it has two options if your screen is fine mesh it would need to into the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor- wide holed screen it can go onto basking decor directly underneath- approx 8-10 inches
Karrie

dmolavi

Newbie to the beardie world (technically, it's my daughter's dragon). I have him housed in a 40B, and have a 24inch Reptisun T8 UVB bulb, but I'm having a hard time finding a fixture that's a plug-in style (vs hard wired). Any recommendations?

If I get a hood-style fixture, would it be OK resting on the fine-mesh top, and if so, how far above the basking area should it be? Or should I find a fixture I can mount inside the tank (or maybe on the outside of the back glass)? His basking spot is about 6 inches below the top of the tank.

Thanks in advance :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are you using now for a fixture? Does it have a reflector on the fixture? If it does not I recommend you upgrade to a 24" fixture w/ reflector-- w/ a T 5 - depending on the screen you can put it on top but the screen must be wide holed like a dime or similar- at this point the T 8 must go into the tank the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays-- if you ever decide to upgrade to a larger tank the T 5 would go right into the tank
If you need w/ a website to get this fixture-- www.pangeareptiles.com has free shipping till Monday coupon code FREESHIP--
Karrie

dmolavi

No fixture yet. I can easily get a T5 and fixture now. Would that be able to be mounted on top of a fine mesh with no issues, with the basking spot 6 inches below?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No fixture has that I know if has the specific holes etc for hanging- go look at pangea and the zoo med is a nice fixture -- it depends on your screen if you can post a pic of your screen from top if your uncertain I can help--- I can give you ideas on how to hang in tank - placement and distance plays a role here
Karrie

Faenix

So.. I think I'm doing something wrong, despite the fact I read this thread and a lot of posts on this forum BEFORE I did anything. (I feel like such a dummy. :oops:)

I have a couple 40Gal breeders(based on dimensions), ZooMed Starter kits to be specific; I was told they were adequate but obviously I was lied to, and a month ago I replaced the failing ZooMed Combo DeepDomes (With a 100W Basking Bulb, and a 26W Compact Reptisun 10.0) with a Large DeepDome (Using a 100W Basking Bulb) and a 24" ZooMed T5 fixture (Using a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb). I got the T5 in one corner going down towards the cool side, and the middle of the DeepDome is about 7" from the T5. (Edge to edge is about 3")

Pretty sure I read that the T5, over the mesh lid, should be 10". I did that but they avoided going near it so I slowly increased it to about 13-14" and they seemed fine with it. I then slowly decreased it back to 10", and besides the fact they'd scatter away in the morning (I should of paid more attention to that, I guess) everything was fine for weeks. Well.. the last couple days they have mostly avoided the UVB, and in turn basking. Is occasional no basking/not full UVB usual behavior? (I've only seen that when it was shedding time, or they brumated)

So.. questions:
-Over mesh what's the MAXIMUM that's okay for the UVB? I know it's not ideal, and I was going to rip up the mesh, but it feels like the UVB might be too close as it is. My one has been in his cave all day, and my other mostly stayed in the middle/cool side where the UVB is farthest up/not there. Instead of sleeping on his hammock like usual he's under the hammock on his cave.
-In the morning how long should it take the basking area to get to 95+? My light is about 13" above the basking spot, but it seems to take about 5 hours to get to 95. (By night I've seen it get to 102)

One quirk of the Large DeepDomes I've noticed is directly below it is cooler than the surrounding area. Which.. confused me. Is this normal? Like, directly under it would be 94, but around it would be 96+.

They were fine a month ago when I had the combos, so I'm thinking it's something I changed not something with them. The fact they seem to be hiding from the UVB in the caves, under the hammock, staying where it's farthest up, and moving when the light comes on in the morning makes me wonder if it's a too much UVB thing. Before I go raising it too high I figured I'd come here and see if anyone would have an idea on what the problem could be.
Though could it taking 5+ hrs to heat up enough cause them to have issues? It does eventually get to 95-98 (They have never really liked 100+).
I'm used to dealing with "Temps too high" (For my Beardies at least), this is just.. complicated.. lol :?

I had trouble finding adequate logs/other such decor, so settled on hammocks for the basking spot, and I use a ZooMed Digital Thermometer (with Humidity Gauge) to check temps, as well as a Infrared Temp gun.
Basking Temp: I used a Lizard Lounger that's bigger than the diameter of the dome, so depending where you check the temps will fluctuate between 94 and 98 (Some spots by the glass I've seen get to 102)
Overall Temp: Thermostat probe hanging in the middle says it's about 83. Nighttime gets to about 73 or so, less than 70 would trigger the Ceramic Heater.
Cool Side: Cool side I've seen get to about 77 during the day.

Any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated, I'm really feeling like I just wasted a bunch of money. :|

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are there 2 dragons in the same tank ? If there is you need to separate them ASAP-- as far as the lighting goes I would get rid of the 26 watt all together- the coil would need to be in the tank in a reflector dome w / it approx 6-8 inches from basking decor w/ NO obstruction-- it is considered to be a T 8 but I am not fond of coils anyway so --- the screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed screen - if its a wide holed it can sit on top but the distance would need to be 8-10 inches --- if its a fine screen like a screen door it would need to be 12-15 inches inside the tank -- the behavior could be him getting ready to brumate - mine have been really lazy this last week hiding in the cave sleeping a few days then coming out to bask etc---------- its a process of elimination of cause of behavior
Karrie

Croceli76

Hello I have a baby bearded dragon I have a double mini dome light with a 50 watt heat bulb on one side and a UVB bulb on the other the temperature in the tank reads fine but when I point the thermo gun at the top of his basking spot it reads 135 degrees any suggestions on how to get to surface of the Basking spot not so hot does anybody recommend switching the sides of the bald right now to eat bulb is on the left in the UVB is on the right

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you changed out the UVB or still using the same brand? The basking spot needs to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer - some materials throw IR guns off - please use a probe place it on the basking spot wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp--- if its still reading the same you need to lower the decor piece to get the temp down I am not understanding how a 50 watt bulb could be producing that type of heat --
Karrie

Croceli76

thanks for the info I used the probe the surface is 135 right under the heat side of the double dome it is a 50watt repti backing spot lamp at 9 to 10inches away also I have a picture of my setup but I'm new I do not know how to add it to my reply

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom