Lazy Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nommers

Hello, so my bearded dragon I inherited from a roommate. They just didn't have the time to really take care of it thats fine, so I just invested in 500 dollars for a cage, lamps, new bulbs, food, sand everything! The cage is a 40 gallon tank btw! Well back in May I did. He seemed fine, would move, started to poop easier and things like that. Now all of a sudden he just wants to sit under this like ledge thing we have for him. He eats, drinks, and poops all normally! I give him fresh water/food every morning, the right side of the cage is anywhere from 95-100, the left side is 75-85. Not sure if he just is a lazy one, or if something is wrong. Some days he perches on the rock on the warm side, some days he perches on the cooler side. His color is normal as well! Could he possibly just be a lazy lizard and just likes laying under the bridge for no reason? He will look at you when you come near the cage but doesn't really budge moving.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you taking basking temps? No stickons they are inaccurate-- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube inside the tank or on top of screen-- I want to rule lighting out as possible reason
Karrie

Nommers

Original Poster
I am using the stick ons I think that you can buy from petco they are inside the tank, How would I go about taking the temp a different way? The Lights are one red light, one is a UV I believe and one is a basking? It was a 2 pack for the UV/Basking, and the Red one is on the far left. I use the black domes on top of the mesh of the cage

Nommers

Original Poster
Let me also say, that he just stopped moving a lot about a week and a half ago...He's always been one to just sit in a spot and bask a lot but he would like move from one side of the cage to the other. His food dish is empty btw because its 4pm and he gets his food in the morning and eats it all I'm including a picture to show his coloration, got him to move out from under his little bridge thing.
109237-935867499.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok we need to get your lighting fixed here -- first off please get rid of the red light - they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- the one in the 2 pack is it a coil UVB does it look like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulb-16227.html?cgid=500202
You need this to get the correct temps https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
I would get two one for the basking side and one for the cool side of the tank
Your red light is on at nite or during the day? There are two bulbs you need in that tank and they are this one good bright white basking bulb that looks like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 I would start w/ a 100 watt --- make sure you have the digital probe thermometer to get a actual basking temp -- it needs to be placed on the spot where he basks for 10 minutes then get the temp - it should be 95-110 for an adult
then you need this for a UVB -- you can try Petco or Petsmart some will carry the fixture but the ones I have been in do not carry the length you need or are very spendy but this is what you need
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html
With this bulb https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html
I would call this place they are out of CA and find out the shipping how long before they ship out -- some places are taking a really long time to ship out -- my go to places are out of stock for these fixtures and bulbs --
I would get this replaced ASAP-- you can take your dragon outside for some good UVB -- have him sit on you direct sunlight for as long as you can stand the heat -- some good UVB is going to perk him up
If you need more help please ask -- but I would get on this right away
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes hiding from that red bulb --- please shut it off --- and the sand please get rid of that as well - it can cause impaction and you do not want that or any loose substrate - you can replace w/ paper towels for now and then get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - your local home improvement store its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar / water solution 50/50 --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The liner is good and so is the basking light --- the red light get rid of it --- you mentioned NO UVB -- what are you using for a UVB it is extremely important for your dragon to live
Karrie

Nommers

Original Poster
Welp I realized my GIANT mistake, I have three domes on my tank, I THOUGHT the middle one was the UV...found out its a daytime heat lamp...So my question would be, should I get that UV thing that you linked for the UV for the middle of the cage, continue to use the dome for the basking, but get a 100w instead of 75? and take out the red lamp and replace with the daytime heat instead? What do I do for nighttime heat? when the other lights turn off

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get the UVB ASAP --- the one I linked you to - it doesnt need to come from there but you want what I posted --- I would call the Wholesale Warehouse and see when they are shipping how fast they are --
you only need one good basking bulb the bright white --- get your digital probe thermometer that I showed you get the temp w/ the bulb your using now You MUST have the digital probe do not change that bulb out w/ out it -- you do not want to burn him up -- if its not 105-110 for a BABY then get a higher wattage bulb --- if your dragon is a juvie or adult I think hes pretty young yours looks more like a juvie temps should be 95-110 -- as they get older they do not like the real hot temps---
You do not need nite time heat unless your tank is falling below 65 --- dragons like it cool and dark --- if you need heat for this winter get a CHE ceramic heat emitter --- they produce heat NO light - you will need a ceramic socket dome --- it can go on top of your screen at nite in the middle of the tank -- you should have 3 temps in the tank during the day a basking side of 95-110 for a juvie / adult 90's in the middle of the tank and 80's cool side during the day --- and yes you can place the UVB in the middle of the tank -- T 5's have options - if your screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door it will need to go inside the tank -- if its wide holed like a dime it can sit on top --- but first we need to get the fixture there -- the fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb its more for aquarium use and is equivalent to a T 8 hang onto the bulb it can be used as a back up but it would need to be a different distance as they are not as strong as the bulb I recommended
Karrie

Nommers

Original Poster
Ok so just to make sure, I can buy that stuff all on Tuesday which is payday at the earliest. Just to confirm because my brain gets stupid, I can take the daytime heating light put it on the far left where the red one is now, put the UV one you linked in the middle, and put the basking one where it is on far right, just need to get the digital thermometer you linked to make sure the temp is between 95-110. The beardie is about 3 years just to confirm thats the ok temp for them? Also need to replace the sand with the things I linked! If that is what I neeed to do, I should be able to buy those as soon as Next Tuesday and hope they have a faster shipping method for them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Put your basking side on one end of the tank -- you only need the bright white basking bulb and a UVB of which your ordering or getting -- you do not need a heating lamp during the day only the basking bulb - its gonna heat the place where he basks and the middle of that tank of which you want 90's -- no more heat bulbs in that tank besides the basking bulb -- and yes the 95-110 is good for him -- if you have a piece of decor something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
this is a great piece of decor that going to offer a heat gradient for him - I use two of them in my tanks -- the long stick part is on the floor of the tank and the big trunk piece is under the basking light - it gives them a place to sit stand lay on or under -- along w / different temps to bask and they can pick the spot of where they want to sit
Karrie

Nommers

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I'm going to try and go to petco and see if they possibly have the UV light fixture in person on Sunday if not then Tuesday definitely online! I have a few piece of decor I already have in the tank! You are amazing! Thanks for helping my ***** butt fix this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok keep me posted so I can help you get the fixture placed properly- in the meantime get him outside for some good UVB- let him sit on you direct sunlight for as long as you can stand the heat - the UVB will be good for him -- I cannot believe he's still eating and not showing signs of mbd-- the fixture needs to be at a certain distance so let me know- also the bulb will need to be changed out in a year I usually change mine out a month before
Karrie

Nommers

Original Poster
Yeah like honestly, he still eats/drinks, and poops every day or other day! Occasionally like an hour a day he might move to the basking light spot but other than that he had been sitting under the little bridge thing we have for about a week, before this week he'd been moving to a from each end of the cage and perking up when people came to the cage! He's been like 3 years without a UV light just basking...so Im shocked! (finding out because old owner didn't give him a UV either just basking so idk how he lasted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom