A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh no all my photos are gone! I guess that is what happens when you upload them to facebook to link and then delete facebook lol. Anyway I have some concerns about CandyCane.

She has not wanted to eat in the last few weeks, 4 or more. She'll eat a hornworm here or there, never more than 2. I bought them just to see if they would entice her and they did but 2 was enough after that she'd close her eyes. She's eaten a few superworms the past few days. Not out of her bowl, she likes them on the floor crawling around so she can run after them. I've had her tested for worms, and she is negative. She pooped today, so it's not a clog, but I did notice her urate was hard so she got a soak in the tub (she was NOT happy about that, she's still feisty!) She had been hiding under her hammock for a while, but lately she's been more out and about. But she hasn't touched her food bowl in more than a month. She'll bask, but not as much as she used to, and some days more than others. I'll probably call my vet to get an appointment for net week just to see if everything else is ok since her fecal was good last time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has she been losing any weight? Sometimes they go through phases in which they aren't as active or hungry and that's normal. Their weight usually remains fairly stable though. Can you post some current photos of her? You can upload them directly to the site here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ then post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":f0ruf7x9 said:
Has she been losing any weight? Sometimes they go through phases in which they aren't as active or hungry and that's normal. Their weight usually remains fairly stable though. Can you post some current photos of her? You can upload them directly to the site here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ then post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

She has. I had put her on a diet though before she stopped eating because she'd gotten really really fat. They grew so fast and I kept feeding them like babies so, she packed on the grams. She had the underarm rolls and everything. Compared to her downstairs neighbor though her behavior is just very different. He's been chowing down.

Her now.
106050-4132839460.jpg
106050-928771696.jpg
Her before.
106050-3602174265.jpg

106050-8180978209.jpg
Her downstairs neighbor. Same hatch date, breeder, diet, lighting, etc.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So she has lost some weight but that's good in this case. She looks nice and healthy now. I would certainly keep an eye on that, maybe keep a log/spreadsheet to watch how it's trending over time (fluctuation between readings is normal). Keep making food available to her at this point but I'd let her do her thing and observe for the time being.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":5p6557kh said:
So she has lost some weight but that's good in this case. She looks nice and healthy now. I would certainly keep an eye on that, maybe keep a log/spreadsheet to watch how it's trending over time (fluctuation between readings is normal). Keep making food available to her at this point but I'd let her do her thing and observe for the time being.

Thanks! I did end up bringing her to the vet just in case anyway bc they had a spot available this afternoon. 45 dollars for peace of mind and to find out before her poop today she’d probably been constipated and a little dehydrated. Said to increase her soaks for a while and to spray her at least once a day. They said she looks totally healthy otherwise and she was extremely feisty.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm with you on the vet visits being worthwhile even as wellness visits. If she doesn't like baths and doesn't drink from them, you can skip them. Instead I've found it useful to use a dropper or plastic syringe to drip water on their nose/top of their head and let it run down to their mouth. They instinctively start licking at it if they are thirsty. Good to have a paper towel below them to pick up any extra that drips away.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2nz5yy2o said:
I'm with you on the vet visits being worthwhile even as wellness visits. If she doesn't like baths and doesn't drink from them, you can skip them. Instead I've found it useful to use a dropper or plastic syringe to drip water on their nose/top of their head and let it run down to their mouth. They instinctively start licking at it if they are thirsty. Good to have a paper towel below them to pick up any extra that drips away.
She won't even respond to a dropper which I think compounded the issue. When she was eating greens it wasn't a huge deal because I always mist the food. She's much more active today which I associate with that big turd she let out yesterday. She probably didn't feel great. I mean who would if they hadn't pooped in a long time? Lol. I did order a large bowl for water to see if she'll start to drink out of it or soak herself in it. Trial and error I suppose. Find something that works. They're still young and they're the first bearded dragons I've ever had. They're technically my kids' but since they're only 9 the lion's share of the work is mine, although they do feed in the morning during their break from home school after math lesson. She was 390 grams at the vet's office too at 10 months old.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Interestingly, this is exactly how our 9ish month old girl has started being.

I'm going to post in my own thread because that's what I came here to do, but thought I'd mention it here in case it may be some pretty typical female age thing.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":3vbeyt3f said:
Interestingly, this is exactly how our 9ish month old girl has started being.

I'm going to post in my own thread because that's what I came here to do, but thought I'd mention it here in case it may be some pretty typical female age thing.

My vet said she's going through puberty, which makes sense. She's still sleepy during the day, comes out every once in a while, accepts her superworms when she wants them (and only when SHE wants them).

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Long story short we evacuated for a hurricane, I put the beardies on the balcony of the apartment we’re in, and she got so hot she was stiff and unresponsive. Brought her to ER vet and they said she has reflexes which is good but it’s a waiting game right now. I feel so bad.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ci7y404 said:
Oh no! Overheating can be dangerous for them, but hopefully she can rebound and recover.

Yes and it wasn’t very long either but it was my mistake and I feel so bad. She’s at the ER vet for observation they said her mentation was off but that she was breathing, had a heart rate, and had reflexes so it’s a waiting game to see if she’ll make it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so sorry to hear about Candy Cane -- I hope she will be alright Please keep us posted
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fp62i5o said:
I am so sorry to hear about Candy Cane -- I hope she will be alright Please keep us posted
Karrie

I will. Its not a vet we’re used to, but the great news is the have an avian/exotic vet on staff for emergencies so she’s getting the best care. I’ve been so stressed out with the evacuation because we were unable to fit their evacuation Rubbermaid’s in the vehicle and we were going to buy some when we got here but they were unavailable. So they’ve been in their carriers and under a clamp lamp when possible, but the clamp lamp bulb almost caught fire the other day so I don’t want to use it again. Hence them being outside for some UVB and warmth. We’re 6 adults, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 bearded dragons and 4 children stuck in a 1 and a half bedroom apartment. Ugh. Poor Marilou is so worried and devastated. Hopefully we will be home Monday. Our house currently is still out of power and we were really worried we were going to be in the thick of a category 3 hurricane, so I am glad we left I just hate hurricanes. So much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom