Frank the beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankTheTank74

What’s up guys! I’m a teacher and just got my first beardie for my classroom, closed tank and all, and I have a few questions. First, the pet store gave me a felt pad thing with my kit, I wasn’t sure if that’s what I would need. Also, I’ve been feeding him crickets and leafy greens, hope that’s ok. Essentially, I just don’t know what I’m doing and want to do the best for Frank. He’s a little guy, so I want to make sure I’m treating and feeding him right. Also, over the weekend, do I need to bring him home, or can I set up food for him and put his lights on a timer? Idk, I just want to do it right! Thanks for the replies!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok your dragon is going to.go thru relocation stress so he's eating will be slow but he should not quit eating all together-- if he does there is a issue-- petstore? Did you buy a "kit"? If you did please go here and read this
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=256269&p=1945606&hilit=Kit#p1945606
Your dragon will need to be fed at least 2 times per day - you cannot leave crickets in the tank overnite- they come out and bite at nite and can cause infection- it's going to stress him out going back and forth - he needs salads everyday
If you more questions please ask
Karrie

FrankTheTank74

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3hkltoxq said:
Ok your dragon is going to.go thru relocation stress so he's eating will be slow but he should not quit eating all together-- if he does there is a issue-- petstore? Did you buy a "kit"? If you did please go here and read this
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=256269&p=1945606&hilit=Kit#p1945606
Your dragon will need to be fed at least 2 times per day - you cannot leave crickets in the tank overnite- they come out and bite at nite and can cause infection- it's going to stress him out going back and forth - he needs salads everyday
If you more questions please ask
Karrie

I bought the 20 gallon kit, it came with repticarpet, the under tank heater, the bowls, the dual lamp, a log, and some mixed food. I went ahead and bought another thermometer, another log, some crickets and meal worms, a basking swing, and I’m trying to think what else...my thermo read 86 after 2 hours of everything being on. Is that repticarpet good enough?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the under tank heater- dragons heat from their backs - the mixed food is not good for their health -- he needs fresh salads every day along w/ live food --meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs please dont feed - as they get older to be adults that is fine but for now hold off - your temps are not high enough if your getting them w/ a digital probe thermometer - stick ons are inaccurate- your dragon will not eat w/ out proper basking temps and UVB-- those two things are the most important thing in that tank --- and he will quickly outgrow that tank in a few months - it is best to start planning now for a bigger tank --- and good UVB as I am sure your using a coil -- those are inadequate-- your going to need to get a long tube fixture I am posting links and info on UVB's so you know what to buy your going to need a tank 40+ gallons the bigger the better
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" for a 40+ gallon tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html 22" bulb
These are one of the best on the market now -- the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 is out of stock but this one I posted is just as good - the Repticarpet is good for now - its going to be alot easier to keep clean w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner in a bigger tank - also if you can find some sort of tile piece that would fit into the 20 gallon now would work along w/ paper towels as well - if you get tired of cleaning the carpet that is a suggestion -
Are you planning to go into the school everyday to take care of the dragon on the weekends? Its going to be too hard on him dragging him back and forth especially when so young - He needs to be fed everyday w/ fresh food especially insects - they need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding as they require to be fed two times per day and w/ Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding-- they grow really fast and need the calcium and good UVB for MBD and other health issues -- my suggestion to you is to take him home get him off to a good start then take him to the school w/ a bigger tank set up --
UVB info
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom