Does moisture help shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdspdx

My girl, Atarka is going through a face shed. I’m wondering if moistening shed area is helpful. She doesn’t get very cranky but is obviously uncomfortable. Puffing up her beard to try to break it loose

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Spray her -- it will help and you can use a soft baby toothbrush to loosen it - some may come off when you brush her w/ the spray
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
999 times out of 1000, there is no reason at all to help a dragon shed. Spraying your dragon in the face with water will most likely upset it more than just letting it do what it's designed to do, shed it's skin at it's own pace it's own way.

I'm not convinced that misting/soaking even helps any measurable amount. Dragon skin is a lot different than that of a snake or a gecko for example. Their skin doesn't absorb water, I don't see how getting it wet would help.

-Brandon

saraho

Hatchling Member
I use a soft toothbrush and stroke Charlie's skin during his soaks. He tolerates them okay but he's perfectly happy with just a brushing, it doesn't even need to be wet.

Cazz

I'm with Claudius on this one. I don't buy into soaking either. If you provide different textures in the enclosure( wood, rock, hemp rope), you're beardie will scratch as necessary. The humidity by me is usually pretty high so my gradient is 20 percent in basking area and up to 50 at the coolest spot in the enclosure, so misting and soaks aren't needed in my opinion and shedding has never been an issue

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree for the most part but with some long standing sheds water can hasten it and they probably feel good getting a totally different sensation at that itchy time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom