Blood in poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz24

So my beardie has been going poop more frequently. Almost every day. He’s had blood in it a couple times but very little. His poop is well formed. I don’t know what the problem could be. He is alert and moves around. He hasn’t lost any weight and his appetite is still good. He had parasites back in May and was treated for them already and the final poop test showed none. I always feed him mustard greens and romaine and superworms. I attached two pictures. One is from yesterday with the blood and the one from today
108985-1069185432.jpg
108985-2359061912.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't see blood in the first photo, just a discolored urate which can happen sometimes. I'm not sure what the coloration in the second photo is. If it's blood, perhaps just a bit of strain from the frequency. Does he eat any other veges than the mustard greens and lettuce that could be contributing to color? How long have you noticed this? It looks like there is plenty of water passing through so that's good. If you continue seeing what looks like blood passing through, perhaps try offering some soft foods for a bit and see if that helps. Things like squash and black soldier fly larvae or silk worms come to mind.

Buzz24

Original Poster
He’s a picky eater. I guess also with the top poop there was a second tiny pile with the small blood and a hair. He’s a picky eater but he really loves mustard greens. I do feed him collards and dandelion leaves as well and blueberries once a week. And it’s happened in the past but that time he passed a large poop so that one made sense. But he’s been going way more often that he usually does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His diet may have his stomach upset a bit. Has he been more active than usual? That can sometimes make them go more frequently too. I would keep an eye on it and do some small tweaks to the diet and see if that changes. Try some different veges, maybe stop the blueberries for a bit, try a different feeder worm etc and see what happens.

Buzz24

Original Poster
Yeah he’s active for the most part which is his normal. My mom takes him out everyday to run around. I’ll get different feeders sometime this week and try some new veggies. Thank you!

Buzz24

Original Poster
108985-8918965268.jpg
This was also something he pooped out today. There was a lot of blood with it and the hair looked quite big. So idk if this had something to do with the blood

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How big is your dragon lengthwise & how old is he?
Sometimes superworms can be hard to pass for youngsters. It does look to be just a
small bit of blood. Are his urates hard or soft? If he has harder urates then that can also
cause some irritation, too.

Tracie

Buzz24

Original Poster
His poop the past couple days were okay with no blood but today he's pooped four times. The last two had blood in them. and they have been a little bit runny. I am really worried. I made an appointment for the vet but the soonest day I could get was September 15th. I don't know what the problem is or what I should do until then.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don’t like that the blood is continuing and pooping is so frequent. It’s good that you can get him to the vet. In the meantime I would focus on keeping him well hydrated and offer only soft foods that will be easier to digest. Perhaps even just baby food for a bit. Squash, green bean, sweet potato etc.

Buzz24

Original Poster
I talked to a vet online and they said it might be Coccidia or a gi blockage. I’m gonna call around on Tuesday to see if there’s any other vets nearby who take bearded dragons. I read on here for a mint basil oregano and parsley slurry mix for the worms and I did the olive oil in the past for the blockage and it worked so idk if I should do that again

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Olive oil, plain pumpkin puree, and applesauce can help with blockage. Since the poops are frequent I would lean away from that being the issue. Coccidia is possible and also treatable using Ponazuril. Do be sure to thoroughly clean anything that contacts poop and disinfect with a veterinary disinfectant or ammonia solution if coccidia is identified.

Buzz24

Original Poster
Update! He had his appointment and he does have Coccidia and parasites. They gave him .14ml of ponazuril and I give him the additional .14 in 48 hours for the parasites. For the Coccidia they gave him 100 mg of metrodazole and I’m assuming they are going to give an additional 100mg next time. And I am giving him a probiotic to help with the medication so it’s not harsh on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom