GREAT !! my Alienware's boot drive ( SSD ) has died .

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: GREAT !! my Alienware's boot drive ( SSD ) has died .

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:22 am

That's odd. It looks like it either reset the settings for your user account, or it created a clone of your user account which sometimes happens if something goes wrong with the user profile. If you go to C:\Users do you see multiple folders with the same username? I'd first try a few log on/log offs and/or reboots and see if the correct profile loads, if not, it can take a bit of tweaking to get things back to normal. If a corrupt profile is the case, then more information can be found here https://windowsreport.com/corrupt-user-profile-windows-10/
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:19 am

refer to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7309eec42d

went looking, no
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

can't be a simple copy & paste
from this pc \ Desktop
==> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop
I'm reluctant to fiddle with the Win10 system , so think this is a job for a tech .

That's a red herring , it's not what I see on the correctly functioning Latitude Laptop which runs Win10 either . ?!?! :?:

I think my issue is with either the Win on the Alienware ( has a problem ) or one of the updates caused it .

Think the tech going to need to reformat my boot C: SSD bootdrive and do a fresh win 10 install on this .

***** !!! ….

I ran a full Alienware stress test and it reported no issues. , Going to do this again just to be sure .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:58 am

If a restore point was created before the update went through, it might be possible to revert the system using the System Restore/System Recovery wizard.
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 pm

I checked for that , one of 1st things I did ( no restore point ) .

I will create one before going to bed after being at it all night …. 'good thing I'm used to shiftwork hours , and fishing all night and stargazing / astroimaging all night else I'd be knackered and my eyes hanging out by now ..

Took me from 11pm til 7am and a lot of reading on the MS Win10 tech help site , and fiddling with control panel file settings , seem to have solved it on a cold boot .=> seem to have fixed it see image of recovered full desktop . Hope for me yet . Here's hoping it's still there when I wake up in 4 o 5 hours as I now need sleep.

The result = Image is what I wanted to see.

And the GUI resizer seems to work too.

Start button now works properly
1 LEFT click on start makes DESKTOP VANISH leaving gui s . (what I was seeing)
2 LEFT clicks on start gets DESKTOP back.

Changed security setttings for bootdrive ( C:/ drive ) and created a restore point . I hope that gets me out of trouble if that happens again.

I'm too tired now to set up an automated schedule( likely weekly ) to create automated system restore points.

Job for tomorrow as these's a bit of coding involved and I can't remember how to do it . Was doing this before my boot drive died .
Think I'll try to same the restore points either on the ONE drive or on my D: drive.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:16 pm

Great! I'm glad you got it back up and working. Getting a restore point set is a good idea. I also recommend running a Veeam backup so that if something similar happens you can restore a complete image from your backup drive. One thing I've learned over the years is that you can never have enough backups/redundancy.

:banghead: <= PC troubleshooting.
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:50 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Great! I'm glad you got it back up and working. Getting a restore point set is a good idea. I also recommend running a Veeam backup so that if something similar happens you can restore a complete image from your backup drive. One thing I've learned over the years is that you can never have enough backups/redundancy.

:banghead: <= PC troubleshooting.

very much bang the head --- I forgot how much I detest computer trouble shooting and coding …. this is why I DIDN''T study SOFTWARE ENGG …. I can do it BUT I found it tedious and a PITA.

Which of these do you recommend ?
do you recommend ? …. 1st one ??

Just had a water skink visit me, was sitting there next to them modem and phone watching me ( now 9am and I really need some sleep , will have brekky first when missus gets up. )

I now have 2 x CF2YW | KYBD,103,US-INTL,M16IXF-BW on the way ( DELL Asia/Pac ( Sydney ended telling me they can get these still , but might take a week or two for there's to arrive ) , so I'll have a spare , the first CF2YW | KYBD,103,US-INTL,M16IXF-BW that arrives will be used for swapout.

Wife's new INSPIRON 15 i7 4core laptop should arrive today . (MAYBE ???).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:01 am

So far so good .

The Alienware Win10 system seems stable now .

No sign of my wife's new laptop today , no emails from Dell to say it's been delayed again .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:19 pm

My wife's new Dell Inspiron 15 i7 4Core laptop arrived this morning.
My replacement DELL ALIENWARE key board is still with customs in Sydney. ( This is the one from Germany .)
It arrived in Sydney airport yesterday.

Told her to leave it in the box for now, it's our custom since Feb to leave parcels and deliveries and mail on the corner table for 3 days to allow time for any SARS-CoV-2 virus on the surfaces ( plastic ,cardboard and paper to die off.

Only exceptions are
> live insects
> the weekly COVID PRIORITY CONTACT FREE grocery & pantry & drink order from Woolworths
> the monthly script delivery.

We've not ordered in pizzas or Chinese meals since February.

Might make an exception for Fathers' Day & our 40th anniversary --- a nice mud cake home delivered is very tempting.

I don't really want to risk wiping the new laptop's surfaces and keyboard & touchpad with sanitizer , this stuff is likely to have bad chemical effects on the plastic surfaces ( PPA and ETA are great solvents ).
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:52 am

My wife opened the box and left the new laptop on the coffee table this morning ---- hint hint .

so ….

Spent the afternoon setting up my wife's Dell Inspiron 15 i7 .

Is a very nice laptop and pretty quick , not as quick as my Alienware 17R4 i7 .

So I have taken a chance and give my wife an admin account on it ( she wants to be able to install stuff ) , told her if she buggers it up , she fixes it.

Came with a very nice laptop backpack ( "free" part of the deal ).

Took a quite a while to
>> install and update win10
>> set up Dell Support Assist
>> set up two admin accts on the computer ( started with me , it's registered under my name ) as are most the apps , and them an acct for her ( currently both have PINs to open , will remove this logon step if it becomes tedious).PH
>> install Office 365 Home & and OneDrive
>> install DropBox
>> install MacAfee
>> install Cricut
>> install Adobe apps
>> install My Phone Companion
>> install Canon DSLR (50D & 650D) and Powershot (HX730 SX & ELPH 180) camera apps
will install the Canon Pixma combo printer apps later.

Yet to schedule automatic backups & system restore

Her old HP 15" laptop has been retired , will pull files and images off it later , fits nicely in the Dell Laptop backpack .
The old Latitude 12.4" i5 laptop has been re-retired.

Her new 15" i7 laptop is blistering quick cf her old elcheapo HP laptop.

So we only have two win7 computers in the house now - my old Dell Inspiron i5 tower desktop & my old Dell Atom N10 (10" laptop - I drive my autoguider and goto Atlux mount StarBook controller interface with this).

Will likely update the old i5 desktop from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro in the coming weeks , drives a very nice 24" Dell FHD monitor.
Considering moving the old i5 desktop into the lounge room and connecting to the TEAC dumb digital TV & the SAMSUNG DVD - HDD dual channel digital video recorder , to create a "smart Video / TV system with internet & Bluetooth connectivity , I'll leave the Dell 24" FHD monitor in the study.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:10 am

New CF2YW | KYBD,103,US-INTL,M16IXF-BW keyboard from Dell arrived today, the nice clean 2nd hand reconditionedCF2YW | KYBD,103,US-INTL,M16IXF-BW keyboard from (Ebay) Germany arrived yesterday.

Good to have 2 keyboards on hand . All I need to do now is get the techguy booked to do the keyboard swap-out.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 am

Back on the tiny slow a LATITUDE E6230 12.5" i5 for the night , tech took the ALIENWARE 17R4 i7 away this afternoon as it's a major disassembly to swap out keyboards, best done at the workshop , will be back tomorrow.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:19 pm

The big beast is back ! :)

Tech replaced the full keyboard ( including the little gamers' 6 key macro keyboard , said it was connected and old one had to come out to replace the big keyboard so did both ).

Said the guts of the computer was filthy . (Not surprising since it spends all it's life living on my coffee table and I often have dusty stuff near the laptop).

Got to say it's real nice to have my nice big full sized keyboard back and to have my big screen back and the speed and processing power of the Alienware 17R4 back ….

Tech guy said it was big job replacing the keyboard ( 2.5 hrs ) , literally a computer disassembly job .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 am

Full stress test of the Alienware ( 90 minutes ) came back all good.

So I can say it's good as new now.

The Latitude 12.5 i5 is back in it's should bag after a big Win 10 update today.

No moaning about computer problems from my wife , indicates she's enjoying her U-beaut Inspiron i7 15" laptop.
She's put her old HP 15" laptop into retirement. So before Xmas I think I'll reformat the old 1TB 7200rpm HDD from my Alienware and move the drivers and Win10 OS from the slow old 500GB HDD in her old laptop to this and install the faster drive in her old HP .
I'll have to check , but I think her old HP laptop only has 4GB DRAM , so if the old 8GB DRAM that was in my old dead Inspiron 17R 2Core i7 is compatible , I''ll swap out the RAM.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Spoke too soon, now after running flawlessly last night and a full stress test that picked up no issues at all, the ALIENWARE is DEAD , no power no nights no nothing .

Spoke to Dell Out of Warantee Tech Supp and did the CTRL + ESC test on power , on battery and the hold down the on button for 20 sec on power , on battery , no joy . ==> either the charging board is cactus or there's a problem with the motherboard.

Seems the tech guy struck this issue and found removing and then reinstalling the internal (on MB) CMOS button battery fixed the problem , asked me when the battery had last been replaced , thought was referring to the BIG INTERNAL battery and told him about 12 months ago ,

Quoting a new full MB and might waive labour costs , for replacement MB and Charger Board .

( Told about $260 over phone , will wait and see formal quote.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 am

What if you take the battery out and unplug the power, hold the power button on the laptop down for about 15 seconds, then rapidly press and release it a dozen times or so (to discharge all the caps inside) then plug the power back in (no battery for now) and try to boot it? If not, repeat but then try it on just battery power without plugging the power back in.

CMOS batteries do fail (they tend to last many years though) but I don't recall seeing that issue prevent the system from responding. Usually it will start to boot and report that the system time is off (kept by cmos power) and then you can ack and continue to boot.

Complete unresponsiveness tends to be an issue with the charging port, some other motherboard failure (in laptops usually results in replacement which is time consuming - costly), or an issue with the RAM (not seated properly, module failed, etc). Sometimes removing and re-seating the RAM helps solve this. Typically there are beeps heard when trying to boot with failed RAM, but not always.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic