Feeding babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs11

Hello everyone! I am currently prepping to own my first beardie and currently have a leopard gecko. I’m a tad confused on feeding the young ones, however.

Are live crickets a must? Are superworms, horn worms, roaches, or any other feeder acceptable? Are freeze dried, canned, or even grub pie an acceptable substitute? I just hate the idea of crickets.

What veggies should babies have? Everything an adult does? Everyday?

Sorry for the dim witted questions, I just want everything to be perfect for my new baby. Because of course, he/she deserves the best! :oops: :mrgreen:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok so lets start w/ the lighting in the tank -- that is the most crucial thing first - he wont eat if its not correct we can discuss feeding once we get the lighting straightened out-- have you bought the tank yet? If not refer to this link and it will give tons of info and if you have more questions please ask
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
Karrie

Nubs11

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3t893aqm said:
ok so lets start w/ the lighting in the tank -- that is the most crucial thing first - he wont eat if its not correct we can discuss feeding once we get the lighting straightened out-- have you bought the tank yet? If not refer to this link and it will give tons of info and if you have more questions please ask
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
Karrie

Lighting will be a reptisun 10 tube type UVB, the 30” one. Basking bulbs will be in a dual type dome, one for day and lower wattage red one for night. Digital thermometer will monitor temperature, plus a temp gun for daily checks. I haven’t bought anything except the dual dome fixture yet as I am not planning on getting the dragon for a few weeks yet.

Tank is going to be a 40 breeder with a flip type lid, or a 36x18x18 exo terra. I’m aware that it’s the bare minimum, but I’m home 24/7 if he wants to get out. :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would get a 24" uvb fixture you don't need the 30" for a 40 gallon-- the red bulb is a big NoNo- dragons need dark when they sleep cool temps colored bulbs hurt the eyes and disrupt their sleep-- you want a T 5 bulb- the 24" fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a backup- you want the 10.0 like you said- anymore questions please ask-- no sand for substrate- nothing loose for a substrate-- please go to the link I posted for husbandry
Karrie

Nubs11

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lp4lq30 said:
Ok I would get a 24" uvb fixture you don't need the 30" for a 40 gallon-- the red bulb is a big NoNo- dragons need dark when they sleep cool temps colored bulbs hurt the eyes and disrupt their sleep-- you want a T 5 bulb- the 24" fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a backup- you want the 10.0 like you said- anymore questions please ask-- no sand for substrate- nothing loose for a substrate-- please go to the link I posted for husbandry
Karrie

I had no idea they could see the red light. So thanks for telling me! I live where it’s rather chilly in the winter so I thought it might be necessary. If I need it I’ll get a CHE instead.

Substrate is tile or reptile carpet for safety and easy maintenance.

I assure you I have done my homework, I am merely confused with feeding babies. I would never get an animal without knowing how to properly care for it. :mrgreen:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Babies are fed more at first than adults- 2-3 times per day of a staple feeder crickets dubia roaches or BSFL or all 3 as a variety- I fed my 3 month old BSFL and dubias - the BSFL were used as lures to the salad bowl - you want them started on salads as well right away and most of the time they just want the insects - that is why you use lures to get them to the salad bowl - I also used small super worms 1-3 on top of the salads as well - butter worms 1-3- it help get Blaze to that bowl - you want a bowl that insects cant get out of - I fed him 2 times per day up until he quit eating the protein in the afternoon which was about 6 months old I am thinking - w/ all the stuff he was getting in the mornings he wasnt hungry in the afternoon- make sure your dusting the insects w/ Calcium D3 5 x per week but only once per feeding - Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I also started feeding him silk worms as well at about 4 months old or so - I was getting small silk worms to add to his salads as well they are a good staple feeder along w/ the BSFL - the BSFL you do not need to dust as they are calcium enriched -- and you can use as many as you want --
Karrie

Nubs11

Original Poster
Thank you!

What is BSFL? Is it black soldier fly larvae?

I’ve got two ceramic dishes from the small animal section, one for food and one for water. Worm tested and approved.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes also known as calci worms nutri grubs and phoenix worms
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom