Foot drying and shriveling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
So glad to have found this board. We just purchased a beardie 2 days ago. This is our first time having a reptile. I noticed that its foot is shriveling. What do I do, what could be causing it? I appreciate any feedback

109210-9642612612.jpg
109210-4229288269.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes and his foot is infected ---the infection looks like its moving up ----------- you need to get him into the vet ASAP --- here is a website to find a vet
www.arav.org
Get him in they are probably going to haft to amputate it
Karrie

Kristymich20

Original Poster
KarrieRee":9g7vujl6 said:
Yes and his foot is infected ---the infection looks like its moving up ----------- you need to get him into the vet ASAP --- here is a website to find a vet
http://www.arav.org
Get him in they are probably going to haft to amputate it
Karrie

It’s after 9 pm here. There’s no vet open.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would be calling first thing in the morning- use the website I gave you to find a vet if none around you then call the ones there and see if they see bearded dragons find out from them if they know of one
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, how long have you had him?
He does have a pretty bad infection going on there, which really should be seen by a vet.
Is he eating & active right now?

Tracie

Kristymich20

Original Poster
Drache613":3c4velyd said:
Hello,

Poor guy, how long have you had him?
He does have a pretty bad infection going on there, which really should be seen by a vet.
Is he eating & active right now?

Tracie

We’ve only had him 2 days. I am going to see if the pet store will take him back. My son is pretty upset as it’s his pet. He’s active but not eating crickets. Ate some kale from us hand feeding him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He can likely recover from this with proper treatment and live a happy life. Perhaps since the pet store sold him with an infected hand they can help you with vet treatment or associated costs. He is a good looking little dragon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I think you should consider seeing if the pet store will pay for vet expenses! They
might actually put him down otherwise which wouldn't really be fair to him. He is a great
looking little one. How is he doing today?

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi there, hes a lovely looking dragon and looks otherwise hearty. If it were me i dont think i could ever take a dragon back- but i would absolutely chase them up about the issue.

My worry is that if you return him, they won't look after him or put him down.

Id take him to the vet (and calling the pet store to reimburse that cost) to at least get an idea of what you are dealing with. It could be simple and treatable by antibiotics and he could live a normal long life after.

Edit: I wonder if that could even be stuck shed? If i recall correctly stuck shed can cause toes /tail tip to fall off. The cut off circulation would also be a reasonable explanation for "drying out and shriveling up" as there's little blood supply causing the tissue to start necrosing .

Kristymich20

Original Poster
Update: thank you to everyone for your help and speedy answers! I appreciate it! I did talk with the pet store and we did take him in, they have a vet that they use and they will be taking him tomorrow. They pay the vet bill and treatment. I sure hope he is ok for the long term!
Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom