Issues Taking Bearded Dragon Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowanFinnian

It's pretty warm where I live right now, and I'm interested in getting my bearded dragon, Zephyr, some natural UV and extra enrichment. However, I've tried to take her outside twice this summer, and both times went pretty poorly. The first time, I put her on the ground and just held her leash, standing over her. I have since learned that that is just about the worst way to go about it. The second time, I held her on my shoulder, sitting down, for about 7-10 minutes and then, when she seemed calm, tried to transfer her to the ground. This resulted in a lot of struggling, clawing, and attempting to run. She's almost two years old, so I figured she's old enough to be outside, and she's generally pretty calm in new situations, so I'm a little baffled. Should I wait for her to walk down my shoulder to the ground on her own? Should I try a play pen, or would that stress her out more? Or should I just give up on trying to take her outside, as it seems to stress her out greatly? Would love some advice. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was told some dragons just dont like it out side - I tried once w/ my 2 1/2 yr old and his beard went so black and he was in terrible distress I have not tried since - he seems ok sitting in front of my living room window for a while and every now and then hes running for cover --- some thing spooks him and I am assuming its the birds in the yard and on the feeders -- he likes to sit on the floor of my front door screen door threshold when its open he props himself up on the hydrophilic thing and looks out the door - he seems content on doing that - he will sit there for an hr or longer - so I have not pushed to take him out anymore -- I dont know if you want to push the issue or try getting her into some sort of enclosure - some one on here can help you w/ that
Karrie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. We bought a ferret cave for outside and all 3 of ours love it! They take turns. When one is done take her out put another one in. They do way better in there then when we'd have them on the grass without any protection besides us watching them.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I think you should take the harness on and off at least once a day, followed with a treat. They are like dogs, soon you can get them to accept the harness with work. Mari would musk on me (yes, she figured out how to weaponize her poop when she was little ?) when I would put her harness on at first, but after 2 weeks, she sat perfectly still and accepted that the leash wasn’t a big scary thing anymore.

As for outside, I think you should try to sit under a patio umbrella or something so your beardie feels safe. Take their hide outside with you so they can hide if they don’t feel safe. I wouldn’t let them hide the whole time, however, because they need to learn to feel comfortable outside. I believe a beardie can overcome a fear by continuous exposure over time.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure how much exposure Charlie had to the outside before I adopted him in April. Once the weather here warmed up we started going out for sunshine almost every day. He seems to be very inquisitive. I try not to stand over him, since my shadow isn't what he's there to bask in. Usually I sit on the grass in shade close to sun so he can get warmed up without me getting sunburned. While I sit with him, I talk to him. I try to interact with him and usually he sits perfectly still just long enough for me to settle in and then he decides to mosey so I have to get up and follow him. I discovered he likes to walk along the brick wall of the library and always stops to look in the windows (maybe he sees his reflection?).

The new thing I'm working on is instead of just following his lead, I step ahead of him and call to him to come with me. I don't think he'll ever trot along on his leash like a dog, but it would be nice to have some ability to guide him along.

I'd keep exposing your beardie to outside. If she is hesitant to venture out on her own, I'd set up a specific spot to go to. Sit so she can bask while in your lap or on your shoulder. Eventually she'll feel brave enough to venture off of your person, especially since you'll have established that you are her safe space even outside.

I got a mesh laundry basket from Walmart for $3 and it works perfectly for outside. It zips open from the top and side for easy access. It’s really helped get my baby used to being outside, she loves it!
109037-3256387441.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom