Is Spencer Showing Early Signs of MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need help determining whether Spencer is developing MBD. Every once in a while, I will notice him with an arm bent back. He moves it back in place while exploring, chasing food, and being picked up. I’ve read he could just be stretching or relaxing but it’s concerning as I’ve noticed him doing it more often and tonight I saw him with both wrists bent back.
I tried my best to be well informed, but he is my first reptile and as I’m finding out, I have more to learn as I go. Please don’t hold back on the constructive criticism as I absolutely adore Spencer and want to ensure I’m caring for him properly. Thank you for taking the time to help us out.

Spencer
1 week shy of 4mo
122g as of August 18, 2020
13.5”

Housing
36”x16”x18”

Lighting
Lights on from 9am-1am. I have it on for this long to compensate for the time he spends outside his enclosure, ~2hr a day.
Reptisun 10.0 T5 w/o reflector; 8” from basking log and 18” from the floor.
Basking temp 102F-107F throughout the day; cool side 79F-82F
Temps taken with probe and digital thermometer

108599-4795830534.jpg

Diet
Dusting 1x/day, alternating between calcium w and w/o d3 5x/week and herptivite 2x/week. I’ve had him on calcium w/d3 for 2.5 mo and recently switched to alternating w/o d3 the past week after reading some posts, and I’m worried I could have hurt him from overdoing the d3.
Alternating dubias and bsfl, 2x/day most of the week, 3x on my days off. First feeding in a separate bin between 9:30-10:30am, worms or roaches and sometimes greens (which he doesn’t touch) left in the bowl while I’m at work (half the time he doesn’t eat what I left in the bowl) then once more as soon as I get home (~8pm). I’ll also occasionally give him a few worms or roaches as treats while he is out of his enclosure before 11pm.

108599-4456194080.jpg
108599-6573276953.jpg
108599-2727244594.jpg
108599-4609828140.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would get a reflector on that fixture and get it placed directly over him -- the UVB on the side of the tank w/ NO reflector is doing no good --- the rays need to be directed downward toward him -- you can get a reflector from here http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/miscellaneous-accessories/arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
please do this asap -- after you get a reflector take the UVB fixture place directly over him w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- here are some ways to hang
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers-- fishing line-- shoe laces--
In the meantime you can get him outside for some good UVB - place him in a plastic tote NO Glass - super vise him - direct sunlight/ partial shade 15 minutes in the tote NO longer you dont want to burn him up- if he is sitting on you then you can sit longer periods of time - just dont lose him they are fast - do this everyday or every other till the reflector comes
Karrie

ChungusaurusRex

Original Poster
Thanks for your input Karrie. I went ahead and ordered the reflector. This may be a stupid question, but will the arcadia reflector from the site fit onto the sunblaster fixture I have? If not I will pick up another fixture w/ reflector.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ohhh I am not sure -- I would inquire from the site - call them tell them what you have and see if it will work --- I know others have gotten reflectors but not sure what the fixture was itself-- hang on I have asked someone on the board about this -- will get back w/ you
Karrie

ChungusaurusRex

Original Poster
I would also like to add, we have a lot of baby carrots so I’d feed them to the roaches along w whole grain bread. I don’t feed the carrots to Spencer directly but could eating the roaches have been giving him too much vit A and preventing him from absorbing enough calcium?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Only if your feeding him carrots too - so no if only given to the roaches- I feed my roaches carrots but not my dragons--- and the person I asked was not sure about Sunblaster so I would call Arcadia
207-588-7210 and ask them about the Sunblaster fixture --
Karrie

ChungusaurusRex

Original Poster
Update: His reflector is arriving in two days, so I hope it will help him feel better. I have been taking him out in the sun for about 30 min each day. His arms are still positioned like this when he’s not moving, but his arms are in a normal position while he walks. I imagine it will take time for his bones to recover, but will he have issues absorbing calcium for the rest of his life even if his arms return to normal?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Spencer is a cute little one indeed! He definitely will benefit from getting a reflector
& a better tube fixture. That way, the UVB would be directed downward onto him a lot
more efficiently.
The calcium would be better without D3 since you have the T5. When you do readjust
the lighting & use a reflector be sure to move the distance to 10 or so inches from him.

Can he climb & walk normally right now?

Tracie

ChungusaurusRex

Original Poster
Hi, thanks Tracie :) He is able to climb onto his basking log in the morning, but he doesn’t bask for long. And he’ll walk to the food bowl, but he’ll return to his spot between the log and rock then lie on the floor with his arms back for most of the day. He’s pooping regularly so it must still be warm enough there for digestion but too far (~18 in) from the uvb. On the bright side, tomorrow will be sunny and in the high 70s, so he’ll hopefully enjoy being outside.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

That is great he can climb & get around then, so hopefully he isn't too critical. He also could
be trying to slow down some also, as a lot of them tend to do this time of year. Sometimes,
after a big growth spurt they will slow down a bit for recuperation.
Hopefully you can get him outside for some sunshine, he will love that!

Tracie

LeoA

Hi, my beardie loves to sleep / rest with his arms folded back as if he's a little dart. Legs too sometimes. I think it's just comfortable for them when they're feeling extra safe.

ChungusaurusRex

Original Poster
Thank you all :)

His reflector finally arrived today so hopefully he’ll be a happier beardie and his wrists will be back to normal soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes it is a normal behavior for them to sleep w/ their arms folded back -- both of mine do it
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom