Tail rot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, i’m new here

i recently just got 2 baby beardies. This will be my 2nd & 3rd beardie. My first one passed a couple months ago because he was getting old, but i got him when he was an adult so this is my first time caring for babies. Although i’m excited, i’m nervous i’m going to mess something up.

I got the diet and heating down. 40 gal tank, 100w (around 95-100 at all times) and 150 uvb. I feed them crickets, mealworms, and some greens(so far kale & collard greens) but i’m having a hard time getting them to eat greens.

Today i noticed the bigger ones tail was darker and crooked. I went back to my photos in my phone to look at the pictures i took when i first got him, and it was like that in the photos as well. (i don’t know how i didn’t notice right away, but i am relieved i did not do this to him and i got him in this condition). I’ve had him for about 5 days now. Today i did a 5 min soak in betadine and coated his tail in neosporin shortly after.

so my main question- is this too late to save? should i take him to the vet? i’m worried i won’t have the money to cover it, does anyone have any suggestions? (it doesn’t look as dark irl than in this pic, this photo his tail was also wet so it looks darker)

Thank you for taking the time to look at
109154-2271126104.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We need ahbd and Tracie to look- your babies are in the same tank? If so you need to separate them--
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":24r6ijki said:
We need ahbd and Tracie to look- your babies are in the same tank? If so you need to separate them--
Karrie

Why do i have to separate them? in general or because of the rot?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dragons are a territorial animal- they should never be kept together-- males will fight till one is dead male/ female the male will want to constantly breed and the females one will become dominate - you have time till around 5-6 months then the hormones are going to kick in - you need to sex them but at this time I think they are too young- I would work on getting another tank and lighting-- there is a post on recent discussions called did you buy a petstore enclosure please read that---- I have enlisted some help w/ the tail thing- Tracie is our vet tech mod shes on at nite
Karrie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":z8u7plly said:
Dragons are a territorial animal- they should never be kept together-- males will fight till one is dead male/ female the male will want to constantly breed and the females one will become dominate - you have time till around 5-6 months then the hormones are going to kick in - you need to sex them but at this time I think they are too young- I would work on getting another tank and lighting-- there is a post on recent discussions called did you buy a petstore enclosure please read that---- I have enlisted some help w/ the tail thing- Tracie is our vet tech mod shes on at nite
Karrie
Yes i was planning on getting a new tank when they were bigger

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a couple more pics in better lighting, a little closer and with the tail dry + no ointment on it ? That does look like it may be a problem but better pictures will help to see the condition of the tail better. It looks like it may have been broken at some point or possibly born that [ that would be a better scenario ]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As Karrie suggested, please do separate them so there wont be anymore injuries. They
really do best when they are in their own environment & have their own space too.
More upclose pictures of the tail would definitely help., when you can do so.
You are saying that it was in that condition when you got him & brought him home?
How is his appetite thus far?

Tracie

LoraLizard

Original Poster
109154-5608852324.jpg
109154-5608852324.jpg
AHBD":xib3gnhc said:
Hi there, can you post a couple more pics in better lighting, a little closer and with the tail dry + no ointment on it ? That does look like it may be a problem but better pictures will help to see the condition of the tail better. It looks like it may have been broken at some point or possibly born that [ that would be a better scenario ]

LoraLizard

Original Poster
Drache613":2tzxssxl said:
Hello,

As Karrie suggested, please do separate them so there wont be anymore injuries. They
really do best when they are in their own environment & have their own space too.
More upclose pictures of the tail would definitely help., when you can do so.
You are saying that it was in that condition when you got him & brought him home?
How is his appetite thus far?

Tracie

The first day i got him he was eating a lot, he still is but i noticed it can’t really get him to eat greens. i’ve tried kale and collard greens, today i’m gonna try endive

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get them some BSFL add those to your salads along w/ some small super worms use 1-3 and all the BSFL you want - you will need two bowls like this • https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Do not dust the BSFL they are a good staple feeder for babies and good lures to the salad bowl - here is a website to get these from
www.mulberryfarms.com they also have silk worms and I think they are out of stock now you can get BSFL from here as well
www.symptonbsf.com order large
www.dubiaroaches.com they have good roaches and good horn worms they usually come small when you order medium - they grow really fast so only order small amounts - you can add those to the salads as well
Let them eat from their bowls for like an hr make sure you add those worms to the salad in front of them -- it will draw them to the bowl
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would go over this list and make sure you have the correct husbandry for your babies
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
You can then add your staple feeder to these bowls crickets you can take a leg off dubias and silk worms work really good
you can get silk worms from here
www.reptilianarts.com they have cupped w/ food they are usually a little bigger I usually order in bulk like 50 when in stock - you will need to order food if you order bulk - and feed and clean containers out daily --
www.coastalsilkworms.com
Happy shopping
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is that the same little one's tail as shown above? If so, that picture doesn't look too bad
in those pictures, really.
The youngsters are very picky with eating their greens, so, you will definitely have to keep
trying with him! Eventually you will find something that he likes & is willing to eat.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is that the same dragon ? The tail looks fine there, is there a kink anywhere or was the first pic more of a fluke ?

LoraLizard

Original Poster
AHBD":ookeda57 said:
Is that the same dragon ? The tail looks fine there, is there a kink anywhere or was the first pic more of a fluke ?
i’m sorry i thought i responded, and yes there is a kink. I’ll try to pick him up for more photos later but he’s shedding rn and doesn’t want to be picked up. this is what his tail looks like now, right after the kink it’s dark
109154-1627996159.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's no way to tell if there's infection spreading under the scales. Keep a close eye on it and if you can get him to a qualified vet it would be good to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom