OMG I CURED MARI’S HATRED FOR VEGGIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Mari HATED greens, like she wouldn’t even touch them from the time she was a little 4 month old to now that’s she’s a big 9 month old.
My mom bought a cilantro plant from Whole Foods and told me to stick it in Mari’s enclosure. Mari kinda liked cilantro but she wouldn’t really eat it unless you starved her for 3 days with no bugs and just veggies offered to her. I thought it was super cruel to make her be hungry so I gave her bugs even when people on here suggested the tough love method.(sorry, I’m easily manipulated by the stink eye.)

After determining that the soil the plant is in is 100% compost, I just put the plant into her enclosure and she went into attack mode and took a huge bite out of the stalks and happily munched on them. I’ve never seen her go crazy for a vegetable before! I’m going to have to knock down one of her walls and replace it with a vertical garden system, lol.

I just have a question - will her reptisun t8 10.0 tube light keep a plant alive, or will I need to install a greenhouse light? Also I will transplant one of my Siberian kale plants tomorrow and see if Mari goes after it in plant form. I noticed she liked to run around my garden on her leash, but I thought she was just looking to hide. I guess she was foraging the whole time, but she never ate anything. Lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that she has taken the plunge. :) You can also try putting a large leaf from a collard or turnip green stuck in an obvious spot to attract her attention. That worked for me.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2g90pqlq said:
It's good that she has taken the plunge. :) You can also try putting a large leaf from a collard or turnip green stuck in an obvious spot to attract her attention. That worked for me.

The smell of collard greens made her gag. She’s a picky eater, cilantro is the only green thing she will eat. I’d like to get a syringe and needle and inject a slurry into some dried mealworms (it’s cruel to do this to living bugs) and then let Mari eat these stuffed bugs. I feel like gutloading takes the energy away that they’d get from just eating the plant straight up because of the ecological pyramid thing we learned a long time ago back when I was in high school.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I have tried many types of greens before finding carrot greens. Charlie loves them but we won't have access to fresh ones much longer. I am hoping to try something aromatic, like cilantro next. He didn't like fresh dill, but I can get most of the herb-type greens year round, and my family will use what he won't eat. That's the hardest part, not wasting something you paid good money for while you look for something they truly enjoy.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have super sad news.

The cilantro plant did not make it because it needed sunlight to photosynthesize and I stupidly overwatered it, causing root rot.
full

Now whenever Mari looks at me, she looks at me like I’m the dumbest creature to grace the earth. ? the good news is that I believe the plant will come back because it had a lot of little seeds in the dirt still, so I’m giving it time. In the meantime Mari gets store bought veggies.

full

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie wasn't as interested in cilantro as I hoped he be. I discovered that if you put red peppers on top of the greens, he will sometimes get some cilantro with a pepper, he will then grudgingly eat it. Parsley next, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom