Re: Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

takisha08

Original Poster
Thank you!! Does anyone have tips for efficiently getting crickets in their enclosure? The pet store rep suggested an empty paper towel roll to get them in the enclosure. I tried that but I was not very good at it...lol.

And also, tips for introducing veggies for a juvenile (approx 8 weeks). BTW, my daughter’s beardie is named Sirilius - her name, my spelling.

Any other unsolicited advice is welcome.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would dust the crickets w/ your calcium D3 in a Ziploc they don't need to be coated like a powder sugar donut but light coating then use tongs drop them in the tank in front of her- do not leave them in the tank over nite--- they will come out and bite- you need to offer veggies every morning I suggest you get a glass or ceramic bowl get some BSFL and small superworms add them to the salad in front of her also butterworms your going to use those as lures to her salad bowl - let her eat for like an hr or so then add your crickets dubia roaches work better you will need to disable the crickets by pulling a leg off put them in the salad bowl-- you can get all these from this website http://www.mulberryfarms.com
Use 1-3 super worms and 1-3 butterworms on top of the salad adding in front of her use as many BSFL as you want do not dust they are calcium enriched- you can get dubias from here
http://www.dubiaroaches.com
They have great worms as well horn worms usually come small order medium they grow really fast so order small amount you can feed 1-2 - they are a good hydrating worm-- silk worms are a good staple feeder--- you can get them from mulberry as well--
Use all these worms as lures to get her to the food bowl-- I will post the nutrition website here later
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you tell me about your tank set up specifically the UVB your using and basking temps and how your taking them - no stickons they are inaccurate-- digital probe thermometer is best-- brand and bulb coil or tube of the UVB please
Karrie

takisha08

Original Poster
Thank you so very much for your tips!

The tank is 40 gallons. Basking bulb is 150 watts and UVB is ZooMed Reptisun fixture with T5 HO 10.0. I have stick on thermometers right now but will take your advice on replacing them. Right now they are reading 100 on basking side and 80 on the cool side - Fahrenheit. She has a basking rock and a tree branch fixture along with food bowl and water bowl.

We are going to add a few things to her enclosure but wanted to keep it a little simple for now so I can observe her eating habits.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you need the digital probe- your T 5 is on top of screen or in the tank? For it to be on top your screen needs to be wide holed not a fine screen like a screen door- it blocks too much UVB Ray's like 30%-- distance also plays a role here so if it's on top and screen is a wide hole 8-10 inches-- if it's inside the tank 12-15 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath
Karrie

takisha08

Original Poster
Yes, T5 is on top of the tank. Purchased the T5 HO due to the screen being a metal top as opposed to the screen door material and to maximize exposure. How do you mount inside the tank?

Thanks again for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can use 3 M command fasteners--picture wire hangers-fishing line-shoe laces potted plant wire hangers-long plastic zip ties-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If she starts eating her veggies you can rinse them before serving this is the best way or you can drop water on her nose let her lick till.she stops-- misting her is another way and make sure her insects are gut loaded and hydrated- you can feed the bugs carrots and squash that is a good source- just don't feed the dragon carrots too to much vit a- I am going to post the nutrition website I can't get to it now-- it wi tell you what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed-
Her poop will be moist firm and dark the urate- will be firm moist and white maybe extra water that's good means she's good and hydrated-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
here is the nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Here are some more websites for silk worms / insects
www.coastalsilkworms.com they ship from west coast and east coast they come w/ food
www.reptilianarts.com good place for silk worms - if you can get bulk like 50 they come small order food you will need to feed them daily and clean container out daily-- they also have roaches and super worms-
Karrie

takisha08

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful info! She is now eating Dubia roaches and collard greens. Bowel movements are every other day.

I have a question about her basking spot temp. I have had the temp probe on her basking rocks for about an hour and the temp read is 108.7. It will be an hour in a couple of minutes. Should I be concerned if it exceeds 110? I have a 150 watt basking bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes keep an eye on the temp --- you dont want it above 110-- does she have a decor piece that offers her different places to sit for her basking temp -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece you can set in different ways - I have this piece and I have the long stick part on the floor of the tank w/ the fat trunk piece under the basking light - they can sit lay stand or lay under it
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom