Ideas for getting a dog & beardie used to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckys19

We don't have a beardie yet, one of our boys has wanted one for years and we will be getting the setup for Christmas and go to the Indianapolis reptile show in January to pick up a beardie. (the other is getting a corn snake) We have a beagle mix who just lays around most of the time, barks at anyone outside when she is inside but when meeting people outside (walks/vet/etc) she is curious and will sniff about people/dogs. I don't expect them to hang out together, I just want any ideas on how best to introduce them to each other so they get used to each other's presence/smells. I'm hoping to get them to peacefully coexist so the beardie can eventually hang out in the living room with us. If not, we have a spare bedroom which is the "game room" that we can close the door to keep Molly (our dog) out but let the beardie hang out somewhere besides it's terrarium and my son's bedroom.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
beckys19":3flt0m48 said:
I just want any ideas on how best to introduce them to each other so they get used to each other's presence/smells.
They'll get used to each others' smells on their own--both species have excellent sense of smell.

I'm hoping to get them to peacefully coexist so the beardie can eventually hang out in the living room with us.
And here we go again... That can be--and has been--a hot button topic/Con-Sub.

While there have been and are (rare, IMO) exceptions, in general, beardies and other species (including other beardies) getting along is the stuff of Disney movies.

Now I expect a flurry of posts from folks extolling how their cats, dogs, ferrets, cheetahs, hyenas, elephants, etc. get along famously with their bearded dragons. Great. Please note all the qualifiers I embedded in the above paragraph. I've already acknowledged it happens. I'm delighted (truly I am) for those fortunate few. Nevertheless, I am concerned that--more often than not--it's a recipe for disaster. This comes in part from a lifetime association with veterinarians who've had to deal with the not-so-idyllic consequences of such encounters.

My own personal experience: We (DW & I) have always had dogs throughout our 40-mumble years together. ALL those dogs have been gentler than average, and wouldn't even snap at flies. During a time when I kept Anoles, one unexpectedly jumped off of my arm. In a flash (and miracle) I got hold of the lizard's tail as the lizard was on its way down the dog's throat, and managed to pull the animal to safety. This wasn't the fault of anyone--it was instinct, and instinct is one of--if not THE--most difficult behaviors to modify/overcome in any species. The Anole survived, but I've never taken such a chance again, and I never will. These things can happen FAST and without warning. It was quick reflexes and Adrenalin that saved that lizard, and my reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Each must choose for themselves (and live with the results), but I advise extreme caution. Actually, I advise against taking the chance, but for those who decide differently, expect & prepare for the worst, and as with investing, "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results".

Think about cats and/or dogs who live together peacefully; 99% of the time they may be the best of buds, then from out of nowhere, you've got a cat/dogfight on your hands. Cats & dogs usually survive such tiffs with minor fur flying. With a BD, there could be a far more serious result. Were I a parent, I think I'd also be concerned about my kids witnessing something like that. Please think carefully--for the sake of the pet/s.

IMO the "game room" with the door closed is a far better/safer alternative.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
The dog will probably acclimate to the smell of the dragon before the dragon gets accustomed to the dog; you could always leave a cotton rag in the dragon habitat for a while to pick up scent, then let the dog sniff his fill of it. The acclimation time will certainly depend on your dog and his prey drive; my dog (a PomSpitz mix) is in and out of the dragon room all the time, and has only recently - after about three months' ownership - stopped whining and rearing up on her hind legs, trying to get a better look at what's in the tank.

Still, I'd err on the side of caution and only take the dragon out when the dog is elsewhere. Besides the unpredictable nature of interspecies interactions, dogs are most definitely predators in a beardie's lizard brain. It would take only a minute for your beardie to decide to run for it, and when something small runs, most dogs WILL chase. I'm sure that there are plenty of folks out there who have positive stories to tell about how their dog is great with their beardie... but as for me, I love both my dog and dragon dearly, and I just wouldn't want to risk it.

By the by, good for you, doing the Christmas present and the bringing-home-Beardie (and Snakey) separately! You're doubling the enjoyment of the present that way, and also making sure you've got everything set up and working properly before the big homecoming! I wish more folks were as smart as that when it comes to holiday gifting.

beckys19

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, I did try a search "introducing dogs" but most of the answers were for dog food for the bugs :lol:

Getting pets is & should be a family decision, we were all together checking out the adoptable dogs when we got Molly, and the boys should have their choice (within a reasonable price range) of their beardie & snake (or Snek as Evan likes to call it, lol..) Plus with getting just the enclosure, lighting/heating and flooring they can choose what color water/food bowls and what they want as hides. Though I am thinking about making a custom beardie hammock since I sew a lot.... :D

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hope he doesn't get up Christmas morning disappointed that he got a snake instead of the snek he wanted. I still have emotional scars from the turd (poopy) I got instead of a puppy... :cry:

WandaOliver

I think it will be fine. My dog reacted really good and I had no stress about it. so how it went? all is good now? I always try to find quality pet blogs when I have questions. For example, these guys Petsoid have on their blog a lot of info about pets. They make posts every day and make sure that their content is trusted and quality. I really like scrolling it in my free time and find out a lot of interesting facts. These guys make my life better, so if u have time, try to check out this blog for more info!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very risky .

Personally , the only time I'd let a dog and pet lizard meet is when the lizard is safely in your hand or on your lap .

beckys19

Original Poster
We don't let him roam free in the house, he's always being held or being closely supervised on the floor in an area away from where the dog usually hangs out, to prevent accidents (she goes nuts when we have a delivery). A couple times the dog sniffed at Lemon when we were holding him, but she is completely disinterested.

AbigailMcLeans

I have often heard how different predators and large animals are friends with ordinary Pets. My friend at home had a big Alabay at home for two years and one day a friend brought home a small puppy by sight. A year later, it turned out that this puppy was a bear cub. They fed him like normal dog food, meat, bones, and all sorts of additives special for dogs. He even advised me to take these supplements because he said that he found them accidentally on the Internet on this site https://thepetsmaster.com/best-water-additive-for-dogs-teeth/.When they saw that it was not a dog that was growing at home but a bear they began they thought to take him to the zoo but seeing how his Pets are friends, he equipped his yard with a special cage and began to take care of the bear.

Nathane

I've had a dog for a month, although I've made a close connection with him. I admit that I still have a fear of not doing something wrong and I understand that his life depends totally on my choices, so I always look on a site where everything about bulldogs is and I inform myself to the maximum because in this way I can make sure that I give him the best. Do you do the same with your dogs? If you have any ideas or other sites that you use, can you put them here? It would be very helpful.

syahrulmam

I was already asked a few times from my friends, how dogs and parrots can get used to each other, or dogs and guinea pigs, and now you ask how dogs and beardies can live with each other and my answer is – no way. The thing is, when it comes to food or dirt or clothes that dogs can eat because they are very curios – it is not such a huge problem, because you can always call a veterinary (here is a guide what to do if your dog has eaten something wrong: https://www.oodlelife.com/can-dogs-eat-jelly-beans/). But when dogs see other small pets, they take it like a prey for themselves – that’s a real problem. So you have 2 choices: to keep only one kind of pets at home, or, to be extremely responsible and take care of both of them every day, and keep an eye on them but it will be very hard, believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom