Weird Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon has been acting odd the past few days. She's about 5 months old, and I've had her for 3 months. She's been hiding under her hammock on the cool end of the tank, taking naps throughout the day, not really basking much. She slowly started eating less and less, and today she wont eat (normally eats greens in the morning with 5 dubia and 2 super worms, 15 dubias for lunch, 10 for dinner) She is not going to shed soon, from the appearance of her body. She has a reptisun 10.0 to mounted inside her tank with a reflector, 100watt basking bulb, basking spot is 104-107 F, middle is 89-92F and the cool end is 82-84 F. She has been pooping once a day, which is normal for her, and it has been normal (not runny or too hard). I have a vet lined up, in case I need to take her to the vet, but Im kinda dumbfounded as to what could be going on. She isn't acting lethargic, from what my family tells me when I'm not home, she runs around when she is taken out and when she does bask she in an upright, "alert" position. Am I just being too overly cautious, or does anyone know what could be wrong?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok and its approx 6-8 inches w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb ------------correct? If this is all correct then it sounds like shes going thru a lazy phase -- which is good cuz shes eating too much --- she only needs insects 2 times per week once per day -- salads as much as she wants --- too many dubias can cause gout --- her poop does it have a smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room? And is it real runny?
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3umubj76 said:
Ok and its approx 6-8 inches w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb ------------correct? If this is all correct then it sounds like shes going thru a lazy phase -- which is good cuz shes eating too much --- she only needs insects 2 times per week once per day -- salads as much as she wants --- too many dubias can cause gout --- her poop does it have a smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room? And is it real runny?
Karrie

Yes there is no plastic covering.

Her poop doesn't have that strong of a smell, most of the time i can only smell it if im within a a foot of it, and it is not runny.

Also, I was advised that 4 months to a year should be fed 2-3 times a day and then after a year feedings should be cut to every 2nd day (one day salad, one day salad and live feeders)( i can provide a link if you would like) should i cut it down to one insect feed a day? and if so should I give her 10 minutes to let her eat or should I do a set amount?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Most all on this forum feed salad every day -- insects every 2-3 times per week after a year old - they dont need the protein as much as when they are babies because they are growing--- after a year old they should go to mainly veggies -- we have had too many on the forum w/ gout which is caused by too much protein not to mention obese--- so its up to you w/ the feeding but it is what I recommend - and if you have yours eating salads cudos to you cuz alot on the forum cant get them to eat salads -- it is very frustrating -- I was ruling out parasites for lack of eating etc........... usually the smell is so bad its driving you out of the room -- just keep an eye on her what is her weight? She could be getting ready for brumation -- usually they start in the fall
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1dh4t894 said:
Most all on this forum feed salad every day -- insects every 2-3 times per week after a year old - they dont need the protein as much as when they are babies because they are growing--- after a year old they should go to mainly veggies -- we have had too many on the forum w/ gout which is caused by too much protein not to mention obese--- so its up to you w/ the feeding but it is what I recommend - and if you have yours eating salads cudos to you cuz alot on the forum cant get them to eat salads -- it is very frustrating -- I was ruling out parasites for lack of eating etc........... usually the smell is so bad its driving you out of the room -- just keep an eye on her what is her weight? She could be getting ready for brumation -- usually they start in the fall
Karrie

108262-2193972334.jpg
Here is a picture of her that I just took since I just read with gout they cause swollen joints, just to have you look at it. I was told on another forum that since she is still growing she will need protein everyday up until a year. I give her feeders in the morning on top of her salad since she doesn't eat salad completely on her own yet. She is only 5 months old, as I stated in the original post, so based off of her being only 5 months old, what would be the best way to feed her. Because I just read that 2 times a week is far too little insects for a 5 month old bearded dragon. She weighs 182 grams, 16 inches long.

*i wanted to add that she runs around fine, and doesn't appear to have a hard time moving around or is in pain when she moves, i read that with gout that sometimes they struggle to walk/move*

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I must of read your post wrong I thought she was 1 year and 5 months-- so yes feed her insects every day and if she's eating 2 times per day then feed her- you can add silk worms to her diet and a few super worms like 1-3 on her salads as well as horn worms- and she needs those salads every day too so keep on what your doing then--+ she's too young for brumation- it sounds like she's being lazy- she is basking? And it's not uncommon for them not to eat-- it's when they aren't doing anything like basking eating pooping and no activity
Then it's time to get worried-- she would not have gout now I would not think-- she looks good-- her feet and legs would really swell up-
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2vljiz8h said:
Ok I must of read your post wrong I thought she was 1 year and 5 months-- so yes feed her insects every day and if she's eating 2 times per day then feed her- you can add silk worms to her diet and a few super worms like 1-3 on her salads as well as horn worms- and she needs those salads every day too so keep on what your doing then--+ she's too young for brumation- it sounds like she's being lazy- she is basking? And it's not uncommon for them not to eat-- it's when they aren't doing anything like basking eating pooping and no activity
Then it's time to get worried-- she would not have gout now I would not think-- she looks good-- her feet and legs would really swell up-
Karrie

Do I feed her insects two times a day? Or just the salad for the first feeding and insects for the second?

She is basking, although she been spending a lot of time under her hammock on the cool end, and from what my parents tell me, she naps around for an hour-2 hours a day (the napping started within the past few days). She's poops usually once a day. There have been instances where she will go one day without pooping, but she always poops the next morning almost immediately. She also runs around crazy when we take her out.

Just to be clear, do you think shes just being lazy? Should I just keep an eye on her for now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Feed her salads first thing in the morning - then after an hr or so feed her the staple insect - make sure your dusting those insects-- calcium D3 5 x per week only at one feeding if your doing two - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week only one feeding if your doing two 2 my guess shes gonna slow down on the 2 times per day feeding -- Blaze stopped at about 5-6 months old but he was getting super worms horn worms silk worms and BSFL --- those were being added to the salads in the morning to get him to the food bowl so when I started offering the 2nd afternoon feeding of roaches he didnt want anymore - he was still full from eating the salads and then the first round of staple feeders-- so feed her what she will eat--- and just watch her I am guessing w/ as hot as its been its the weather --- mine has been napping quite a bit as well ---
I would put 1-3 supers in the bowl 1 or 2 horn worms 1-2 silk worms and as many BSFL she will eat - the BSFL and silk are a staple feeder -- so if she eats them she probably wont consume as many roaches -- do not dust the BSFL they are calcium enriched-- Have you weighed her? You can weigh her on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams and make a record of her weight and length -- its good to know what shes weighing when she does go into brumation --
Karrie
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":kyboxqdu said:
Feed her salads first thing in the morning - then after an hr or so feed her the staple insect - make sure your dusting those insects-- calcium D3 5 x per week only at one feeding if your doing two - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week only one feeding if your doing two 2 my guess shes gonna slow down on the 2 times per day feeding -- Blaze stopped at about 5-6 months old but he was getting super worms horn worms silk worms and BSFL --- those were being added to the salads in the morning to get him to the food bowl so when I started offering the 2nd afternoon feeding of roaches he didnt want anymore - he was still full from eating the salads and then the first round of staple feeders-- so feed her what she will eat--- and just watch her I am guessing w/ as hot as its been its the weather --- mine has been napping quite a bit as well ---
I would put 1-3 supers in the bowl 1 or 2 horn worms 1-2 silk worms and as many BSFL she will eat - the BSFL and silk are a staple feeder -- so if she eats them she probably wont consume as many roaches -- do not dust the BSFL they are calcium enriched-- Have you weighed her? You can weigh her on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams and make a record of her weight and length -- its good to know what shes weighing when she does go into brumation --
Karrie
Karrie

Okay thank you!

I weigh and measure her every Friday, last friday she was at 182 grams and 16 inches. The week before she was at 175 grams and 15.5 inches. Its definitely slowed down, which I've read is normal. For awhile she was growing an inch to 2 inches every week and gaining 30-50 grams.

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
108262-3134193421.jpg

I was going to make a new thread about this, but decided to post it here instead since all the background info is here. So update: shes still not eating as much as she normally does, but I'm letting her eat at her own pace because she knows what she wants more than I do. She's eating about 15 roaches a day, a few pieces of collard greens, and 2-3 superworms. However, she just pooped and its diarrhea... I have been giving her water via syringe bc she was showing signs of minor dehydrated. Could the water be the cause of the diarrhea, or could this be another sign of something else that coincides with the other behavior shes been displaying (listed above)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is your T 8 inside the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and approx 6-8 inches from basking decor? Yes water can cause the runniness of the poop
Karrie

Gandalfthebeardiee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nbd58rg said:
Is your T 8 inside the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and approx 6-8 inches from basking decor? Yes water can cause the runniness of the poop
Karrie

Yes its mounted inside the tank with a reflector, with no plastic covering over the bulb and is 7-8 inches from her basking spot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lay off the water and see if the poop firms up- she's eating greens? Start rinsing her greens before serving and she will get hydration from them -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom