UVB light making him stressed??

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

UVB light making him stressed??

Postby Csanch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello, I am new to owning a bearded dragon. I’ve had him for a little over a month now. He eats great (roaches), poops about 2x a day. We got him a 40gallon Tank. The ones that has everything u might need. I now know that those light are not the best so I got him a Arcadia D3 12% UVB T5 Bulb - 22". But every time I turn it on he turns dark with stress marks on his belly/beard and will sometimes hide. When I turn it off and turn his coil UVB (the one the tank came with) he goes back to normal. Did I get the wrong one?

[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by Csanch on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Csanch
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:59 pm

No where in the tank is the D3 tube? Top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10801
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby Csanch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Top of the screen
Csanch
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby Csanch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm

KarrieRee wrote:No where in the tank is the D3 tube? Top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie

Top
Csanch
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:49 pm

Is your screen fine mesh-- or wide holed? Can you post a pic of your lighting? Do not use the coil- they are inadequate and will eventually cause all kinds of health issues-- go to the user image uploader at top of the page in the banner download then click on the XIMG at the top of the message box click on the picture it should post
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10801
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby Csanch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:28 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Is your screen fine mesh-- or wide holed? Can you post a pic of your lighting? Do not use the coil- they are inadequate and will eventually cause all kinds of health issues-- go to the user image uploader at top of the page in the banner download then click on the XIMG at the top of the message box click on the picture it should post
Karrie

Not sure if done correctly but I added a pic
Csanch
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Did you get it downloaded? It will tell you successful or not- if it did click on XIMG at the top of message box then click on pic it should post
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10801
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Is the UVB directly above him or on the back wall?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10801
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am

The UVB needs to be directly over him inside the tank approx 12-15 inches for best effect of the rays - the screen is blocking out 30% of the rays -- you can use these to hang w/ it take the screen off
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- shoe laces-- potted plant wire hangers--
Please do not use the coil they are no good--- you want that Arcadia bulb -- it is one of the best on the market
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10801
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: UVB light making him stressed??

Postby Csanch » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:28 pm

KarrieRee wrote:The UVB needs to be directly over him inside the tank approx 12-15 inches for best effect of the rays - the screen is blocking out 30% of the rays -- you can use these to hang w/ it take the screen off
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- shoe laces-- potted plant wire hangers--
Please do not use the coil they are no good--- you want that Arcadia bulb -- it is one of the best on the market
Karrie

Thanks. Yes, I usually put the UVB right next to the basking light. But he get all grey full of stress marks. I’ll try again...
Csanch
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]