Basking light Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2yhjrq4x said:
Ok do you have a bowl of meal worms in the tank? I would recommend you take them out hes too little to be eating meal worms now -- they can cause impaction because of the exoskeleton --- please dont feed him anymore -- take a pic of him so we can see him take a pic of him w/ his eyes close or what hes doing thats worrying you
Karrie
109058-1764822980.jpg
So he has been eating a little bit more again today, crickets, not mealworms. But, is the mealworm thing really true? I just got in the mail 1000 mealworms from flukers farm and they are very very tiny mealworms, I couldnt see how something this small could cause implications. So, he is basically sitting in the same spot for hours, and he'll occasionally relocate to a new location and repeat sitting there for hours and closing his eyes. He is plenty far from the light so im positive its not to bright or anything like that. Every 10-15 second he'll open his eyes to see whats going on and close them right back up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He looks good- he's basking- I am sorry you ordered so many meal worms- and yes they aren't good for them because of the exoskeleton- you can feed them but like 2 a day you don't want to plug him up feeding too many at time-- feed him salads every morning use the meal worms on top of his salads see if he will eat them use 2-- he may not like them my two will not eat meal worms- if he's not gonna eat them sell them on FB marketplace or there is a reptile group here in MN on FB that rehomes and sells reptile things- see if there is something like that in your area or state -- you may get rid of them that way-
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":39jjeagh said:
He looks good- he's basking- I am sorry you ordered so many meal worms- and yes they aren't good for them because of the exoskeleton- you can feed them but like 2 a day you don't want to plug him up feeding too many at time-- feed him salads every morning use the meal worms on top of his salads see if he will eat them use 2-- he may not like them my two will not eat meal worms- if he's not gonna eat them sell them on FB marketplace or there is a reptile group here in MN on FB that rehomes and sells reptile things- see if there is something like that in your area or state -- you may get rid of them that way-
Karrie
Huh, I had no idea! Not a huge deal they were only 10 bucks anyway. He was gladly eating them when I was putting them in front of him so he does seem to enjoy them. I do know that he refused to accept any greens, he must've not been fed any at petco so he'll have to adjust. Any suggestions to get him to eat the greens? Also, Is it common for them to close their eyes when being handled as well, when picking him up and putting him in the cricket pen he closes his eyes and yesterday when i was bathing him he was also closing his eyes almost the whole time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok post a pic of his eyes open---- that sounds odd that hes doing it that much--- sometimes if you try and hand feed them and they dont want the food they will close their eyes-- to me they look ok w/ the one pic you posted but I may enlist some help here --- ok for feeding I want you to order some butterworms and some small super worms and some BSFL -- -- we are going to use all these things to lure him to your salad bowl you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so the insects and worms cant get out of something like this https://www.amazon.com/OMEM-Worm-Dish-Reptile-Ceramics/dp/B01IRIL1SG?pf_rd_r=5QAJQ4816P2K2A1GWWPZ&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=382b7a52-1421-445f-8fdc-c8a59ff53f49&pd_rd_w=gba0M&pd_rd_wg=OEZ2O&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d you want a large one
When you get the worms you want to feed first thing in the morning -- use 1-3 small supers 1-3 butter worms and as many of the BSFL order large that you want -- do not dust them --- they are calcium enriched -- when he gets a little older you can order him some silk worms them and the BSFL are great staple feeder especially the BSFL for babies --- it will draw him to the bowl --- heres the website for the insect / worms www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
I need you to post a pic of his eyes open and I am going to have AHBD weigh in on the eye thing
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2y0n29o3 said:
ok post a pic of his eyes open---- that sounds odd that hes doing it that much--- sometimes if you try and hand feed them and they dont want the food they will close their eyes-- to me they look ok w/ the one pic you posted but I may enlist some help here --- ok for feeding I want you to order some butterworms and some small super worms and some BSFL -- -- we are going to use all these things to lure him to your salad bowl you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so the insects and worms cant get out of something like this https://www.amazon.com/OMEM-Worm-Dish-Reptile-Ceramics/dp/B01IRIL1SG?pf_rd_r=5QAJQ4816P2K2A1GWWPZ&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=382b7a52-1421-445f-8fdc-c8a59ff53f49&pd_rd_w=gba0M&pd_rd_wg=OEZ2O&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d you want a large one
When you get the worms you want to feed first thing in the morning -- use 1-3 small supers 1-3 butter worms and as many of the BSFL order large that you want -- do not dust them --- they are calcium enriched -- when he gets a little older you can order him some silk worms them and the BSFL are great staple feeder especially the BSFL for babies --- it will draw him to the bowl --- heres the website for the insect / worms http://www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
I need you to post a pic of his eyes open and I am going to have AHBD weigh in on the eye thing
Karrie

109058-9992848173.jpg
109058-1193653248.jpg
109058-9992848173.jpg
109058-8873867970.jpg

Heres a few, 2 from each side.
Awesome for the feeding, ill get on those worms. For the greens, what shall I toss in the bowl with the worms. I know no lettuce or spinach.

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ry4qdcl said:
When you get the worms you want to feed first thing in the morning -- use 1-3 small supers 1-3 butter worms and as many of the BSFL order large that you want -- do not dust them --- they are calcium enriched -- when he gets a little older you can order him some silk worms them and the BSFL are great staple feeder especially the BSFL for babies --- it will draw him to the bowl --- heres the website for the insect / worms http://www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
Karrie

He is also about 8 inches long, so thats 3-4 months old, correct? Is he still considered a baby or a juvenile?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he's a real cute little guy, hopefully he doesn't have an underlying problem that is not apparent causing the lethargy. He is still a baby, he'll probably grow quickly though and be a juvie " teenager " before you know it. :) I;m wondering if your basking bulb is too close now, 150 watts should be getting the hot spot really hot at that close range. Sorry if I missed but how do you measure the temp ? A couple more things, drip water on his snout to stimulate him to drink and for greens you can get kale,turnip, mustard, dandelion, collards. A bit of grated squash is good too. The mealworms are fine every day or two in small amounts ,you can raise in a plastic shoebox, no lid needed . Just dump them in with the bran and put a small piece of carrot in as well as a large leafy green to gutload them. Pick out the ones that are freshly shed [ white + soft ] and they will live quite a while as they grow and you feed him a few here + there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I thought I posted a website for nutrition if not here it is ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Your dragon is still a baby -- juvies 6-12 months old --
the temp of your basking light is what 106? How close is it AHBD thought maybe it was too close causing the eye thing
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":31jgn977 said:
I thought I posted a website for nutrition if not here it is ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Your dragon is still a baby -- juvies 6-12 months old --
the temp of your basking light is what 106? How close is it AHBD thought maybe it was too close causing the eye thing
Karrie
Its 8 inches away and why would he be doing it when he out of the tank too and not near the basking light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know why he would be keeping his eyes closed -- from looking at him I dont see any swelling or eye watering --- all your lighting is above him correct? That would be the only reason for the eye closing all the time w/ out some sort of eye infection going and I dont see any of that -- I will have Tracie Drache613 chime in here -- shes our vet tech is on at nite --- what are you using for a substrate?
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ca52ozrb said:
I dont know why he would be keeping his eyes closed -- from looking at him I dont see any swelling or eye watering --- all your lighting is above him correct? That would be the only reason for the eye closing all the time w/ out some sort of eye infection going and I dont see any of that -- I will have Tracie Drache613 chime in here -- shes our vet tech is on at nite --- what are you using for a substrate?
Karrie
Ceramic tile :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your dragon would be considered a borderline baby to juvenile. LOL He is very cute.
The basking light you are using, is it coated with Neodymium, or do you know? What brand is it?
Sometimes those basking lights coated with that earth mineral are hard on their eyes. The coating filters
out the yellow hues to "enhance" the brightness, but causes eye strain. This goes for human eyes too,
not just reptiles!
The eyes physically look fine to me as well. Since you aren't using a loose substrate either, that is ruled
out also.
Is he eating pretty well then, or not enough?

Tracie

KMP8438

Original Poster
Drache613":1tv4pgfd said:
Hello,

Your dragon would be considered a borderline baby to juvenile. LOL He is very cute.
The basking light you are using, is it coated with Neodymium, or do you know? What brand is it?
Sometimes those basking lights coated with that earth mineral are hard on their eyes. The coating filters
out the yellow hues to "enhance" the brightness, but causes eye strain. This goes for human eyes too,
not just reptiles!
The eyes physically look fine to me as well. Since you aren't using a loose substrate either, that is ruled
out also.
Is he eating pretty well then, or not enough?

Tracie

Hey Tracie, The basking lamp is an exo terra 150 INTENSE lamp, so that could be a possibility, but it was really the only light I came across that was able to get the hot side of the tank up to where it needs to be around 105-110. Heres the link
https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-intense-basking-reptile/dp/123936?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqjx07md6wIVgv3jBx1lMQzjEAQYASABEgIxzfD_BwE
This morning I fed him about 12 BSFL so I think his appetite is slowly returning, we'll see if he eats his crickets for his next meal. Thanks so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's not it--- I am using the same bulb in my two tanks and that is not the issue-- I am baffled as why he's doing that---- no colored bulbs just the 2 lights UVB and basking correct? Glad he's eating too- keep offering him his salads w/ the bsfl on top we want him eating some salad
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom