My beardie hasn't pooped in 3 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyyourdad

Hii, I'm super new to this website but I frequent it for questions that I have. After doing loads of research and countless Google searches, I got a 2 1/2 month old beardie. He arrived two days ago, on Tuesday, and this is his third day at his new home. So far he hasn't pooped and it's making me extremely nervous. I've read countless articles about impaction, but I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet. On the day of his arrival, he ate 2 wax worms and some dubias. On the second day he ate 1 wax worm (which I don't plan on feeding him anymore) and more dubias. He also ate some bell pepper and butternut squash. Today, I didn't give him any wax worms, but he ate some bell pepper and some dubias.

He moves around sometimes, but for the most part he stays in his basking area. He hasn't shown any lethargic behavior or sluggish movements. Occasionally, he would try and and go in his den and sleep, but I moved him back onto his basking spot. (I think that was just due to my room getting a bit darker.) He hasn't shown any decline in his movements or alarming decreases in his overall visible health. I contacted the breeder that I ordered the beardie from, who said the temperatures in his tank were okay, but I could try raising them a bit.

I've been giving him baths and massages to try and get him to poop. SO far, they haven't worked. I am no longer going to be frequently feeding him anything other than collard greens and dubias.

Mainly I'm wondering if this is something I should be very worried about. Can the constipation be due to stress of a new environment? If it's due to something he ate, will it eventually pass, especially if I improve his diet, and keep up with the massages and baths?

I would like to note that he has appropriate room from his size, appropriate heat and lighting. I have also been providing the proper nutrients through dusting his insects. He is on shelving paper, not a loose substrate. Anyand all replies are sooo appreciated.

Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is not uncommon for them not to poop also he just came in the mail? Is that correct? Do not fret he will poop-- I would let him settle in and adjust- what are you using for UVB brand and bulb--- coil or tube? How are you taking basking temps? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- temps should be 105-110 for a baby taken w/ digital probe thermometer-- he's eating will.slow this is normal it's called relocation stress- he should be eating something tho if he stops completely there is a issue- I would not bathe him too much stress- wash his salad / greens before serving he will get hydration from that- make sure his insects are gutloaded and we'll hydrated as well-- feed wax worms sparingly they are very fatty and long term can cause liver issues-- I will post the nutrition website tomorrow for you-- green peppers will cause runny stools- anything that has alot of water content so you can feed but just occasionally
Karrie

izzyyourdad

Original Poster
Yes, he just came in the mail, so that makes sense if he's stressed. I'm using the 22" ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB. The basking temps are between 105 and 110 like you said. I use an infrared thermometer. I am also gutloading the dubias he is eating.
Thank you so much for the reassurance!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB is a good one as long as you have it properly placed--- if its on top of the screen and your screen is a wide holed screen not a fine mesh or thick screen your distance should be 8-10 inhes from basking decor piece directly over head - if its a fine screen or really thick screen it should be in the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor - screens will filter out 30% of the UVB rays-- other than that every thing sounds good - just give him time to settle in and adjust work w/ him slowly -- they need to to learn to trust - work w/ him hand feeding him BSFL or small worms maybe some salad -- just be patient
Karrie

izzyyourdad

Original Poster
UPDATEEEE:
He pooped!! I was just soo worried, especially since beardies his age should be pooping more frequently and how common impaction is.... I talked to the breeder who said he might just be a "slow pooper" lol. Thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes there are home remedies for them never have an enema done--- you want them to go naturally w/ regular laxatives like baby prunes etc.. but it's not uncommon for them not to go for long periods of time
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom