Internal body temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been reading that the ideal body temp for them is 35 Celsius...which is 95F....Kush's body temp only gets up to about 87-89; she will lay in her basking spot but likes to hang out under her log (which is not directly under the heat lamp...) We have a 250 watt heat lamp over her basking spot; but like I said she generally doesn't bask too long. Any thoughts??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is your basking surface temp at with a 250w bulb? I can't even imagine how a 250w bulb would be suitable for a tank unless it was the size of a whole room basically.
If the basking site is too hot, the dragon won't bask, but instead, seek shade/shelter.

Can you post a picture of your setup, and how you are measuring your temperatures?

-Brandon

MangoKush1313

Original Poster
108322-1917415578.jpg
108322-9426567005.jpg
108322-1893128646.jpg
108322-5660869488.jpg
108322-4141566926.jpg

And I know stick on thermometers aren't accurate; we mostly just use it for the humidity factor. We live in SC and we keep it at 70 inside , we have a dehumidifier in the room, but we were still getting high humidity readings in her tank. It's around 150 gallon tank, and that basking spot temp (on the rock she lays on in the pi, it's around 90ish. And we have a temp gun. When I temp gun the log, under that lamp, it's usually 93-95. But she hardly ever lays across it. We got a high watt heat bulb to see if we could raise the heat to get rid of some humidity. And I have 2 UVB bulbs in there but I don't know how to lower them closer to her. The one UVb on the right is on the cool side and she does like to chill in that back hammock sometimes. The other uvb is above her front hammock...which is only sometimes lays in. I think I need to move the uvb lamp back towards the heat lamp and re-arrange her basking area because if she's laying under the log she isn't getting good heat/and especially UVB. And one of those pics is old with the UVB mounted to the side but I moved it above her front hammock. I feel like I need to build up a basking area higher and move the UVB back towards center
108322-1514512138.jpg

MangoKush1313

Original Poster
Any recommendations on the wattage I should be using for this size enclosure?? I just can't seem to get heat/humidity to coexist.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tank looks like its real tall and its hard to control heat w/ height- dragons need more floor space than height -- and a 250 watt bulb is alot of heat--- you only need one good UVB and yes they do need to be certain distances for certain bulbs - what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb please- -- I guess I would redo that whole tank taking out alot of bricks to give more floor space - the basking light I would get so its directly over her along w/ the UVB but first we nee to know the bulb of that UVB--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the Reptisun T 8 needs to be inside the tank and approx 6-8 inches directly above her basking decor-- I would recommend w/ that tall of a tank you go to a 24" fixture w/a T 5- distance would need to be 12-15 inches above basking decor -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
:lol:
I have 2 of them -- I really like them your dragon will love you too :)
Karrie

MangoKush1313

Original Poster
Hey Karrie and other pros!

So it's gonna be a while before I can get the Zen habitat. So in the mean time, I'm gonna rearrange her enclosure. I got 150 watt basking bulb and I think I should put it inside the tank instead of on top. And I need to build up her basking spot to get her closer. And I'm gonna put my UVB in the center and zip tie it so it can be lower. I need to make the distance shorter from her and the basking bulb/uvb. Does this sound about right??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok are you upgrading the UVB first now-- you will haft to w/ the zen anyway- if you move the basking bulb make sure you aren't too close to her and get a basking temp when you move it---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok w/ fixture correct? That will be better for your tall tank - 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- and it will go right into the zen
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom