MEALWORMS

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

MEALWORMS

Postby Feezy18 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 am

Keep getting mixed opinions. Are mealworms good or bad to feed??!!??
Feezy18
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: MEALWORMS

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 am

They're ok to offer in small amounts as part of a variety, but I wouldn't rely solely on them. Try to rotate what you offer to provide the healthiest diet. Other good options include silk worms, black soldier fly larvae(calci/repti/phoenix worms), hornworms for adult dragons (they grow to be too large for young dragons), roaches, crickets, morio/super worms. There are other good bug options available too.
CooperDragon

Postby Feezy18 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:24 am

I’m definitely not looking to make mealworms my stable diet but I’ve seen so many videos basically saying if u feed them ur dragon will die lol
Feezy18
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:40 am

Yeah... it's a debated topic. There is some concern that the hard shells can cause impaction in young dragons. I haven't seen that be an issue as long as lighting and environment and overall health are good. Overfeeding them can be a factor in that as well. Generally they are pretty good at chewing if they aren't feeding too quickly and that breaks them down enough. Impaction risk decreases quite a bit as they get older (again, as long as their health is good and environment is correct etc). I don't really see an issue with offering them as part of a diet as long as it's not too much and not the only offering. That's just my opinion though and others may disagree, and that's OK.
CooperDragon

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 am

My thoughts and experience on the matter:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=250599

I've raised more babies than I can count, and I've never had an impaction issue.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeders