baby beardie starting to trust me ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had my bearded dragon mango for exactly 2 weeks and these past two weeks (other than today) she’s definitely been through a lot of stress and fear and just overall panic , & no matter how much live food I would hold, she wouldn’t eat from my hand bc she was absolutely terrified , but for the first time today - she ate from my hand & now sometimes i can get quite close to her / stroke her head a little bit & her stress marks are lightening up / sometimes disappearing in total

haha this isn’t really that interesting , I just got excited that she’s starting to trust me since she came from a petco that mistreated her for two months , so she’s not used to being held or getting much attention .. okay that’s all LOL

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just keep working w/ her -- patience- she sounds like shes coming around a little bit --- keep offering the same routine and she will know what to expect :)
Karrie

Splreece

Ahh bless her ... Im in a opposite situation but same outcome.. Mines overly friendly.. Loves being held... Really calm.....but still doesn't want to eat....

109077-3731557350.jpg
109077-7444945457.jpg
109077-4765190966.jpg
8 wks old and 2 wk in my house.. So in mid of the rehoming period...

Good luck with it all....

viola

How did you get him/her to trust you? Sadly mine just runs away! He also has only ate from my had once and,it is almot my 4 week with him!plz just give me some advice on how you gained him/her trust.

Splreece

viola":3jwqxqmo said:
How did you get him/her to trust you? Sadly mine just runs away! He also has only ate from my had once and,it is almot my 4 week with him!plz just give me some advice on how you gained him/her trust.

I don't think it's recommended but because mine shed immediately. On bringing her back, I was bathing her daily...

So I had to pick her up...she'd move to run away... Didnt really fight when I had her but definitely was moving elsewhere.... Most of the first few baths were her trying to run away under seats, but I just picked her up and put her back in viv... after a few baths she started a coming to me as a way back to viv so I let her wander up one arm, accross my back and across other arm where my hand was in viv... The n for some reason, she decided to stop on my back or head or on my hand in the viv and that seemed to be her indication she wants a hug as I could bring my hand back out and all she did was wander a. Bit more.....

Now all that tends to happen is baths are very quick, and she's more inclined to wander on my back... Which is hard to get her so not sure if that's a hint or not..

trinityy

Original Poster
viola":ogaugq56 said:

ah yeah I got mine from petco who treated her terribly so I can definitely understand what you’re going through :

1 - mine didn’t start eating from my hand until I had her for almost an entire month but basically every single day , for both breakfast & lunch/dinner I would grab live food and hold it in my hand and just place my hand inside her tank on her food bowl and every day for a few weeks she would just look at my hand but not eat out of it until one day, basically I kept my hand in her tank for like 15 minutes (yeah I know a long time ?) but eventually she realized that my hand had food in it so she walked over and ate from it and now she eats from my hand every single day which I don’t really mind haha. But she will also eat from her bowl if I just put the food in there as well :)

2 - I wore an old shirt of mine all day and then after that I cut it up and placed it in different places in her tank and after a couple of weeks she began to sleep on the clothing

3 - every once in a while I will go in and pet her VERY late at night when she is too sleepy to really jump or run away & then I’ll leave her alone again

4 - I also hold her late at night for a few minutes and then after that put her in a little container with a shirt of mine inside there while I clean out her tank.

5 - I ALWAYS move very slowly and make sure that mango is aware of what I’m doing before I do it so that I don’t startle her. For example if I’m taking out her food bowl so that I can go clean it, I will slowly reach my hand inside the tank and leave it near the food bowl for a few seconds and then when she realizes what I’m doing I can take it out and she doesn’t get scared.

6 - lastly , I’m ALWAYS talking to her and saying her name and making sure my presence is known, but for the first like 3-4 weeks , I didn’t try to pet her (not even at night time) , basically our only interactions were daily feedings and cleaning.

so yeah, it’s completely normal for them to be afraid even after all these weeks have passed. Every person I know said that relocation stress would only last like 2-3 days and that you can start handling your baby beardie after 2ish weeks but yeah that wasn’t the case for mango at all LOL - my beardie was stressed for many many weeks and it’s been an entire month and every once in a while she still gets a bit scared or stressed but yeah just keep doing everything that I did in the list and every single day for every single time you feed her, use your hands so that she starts to realize that your hands = food and your beardie should calm down a bit.

overall as long as she’s eating, pooping, shedding, growing, and drinking water (also make sure that temperatures are correct, can’t see their reflection, they’re tanks aren’t completely empty meaning make sure there’s not only room for them to walk but also room for them to climb around on stuff haha) then they should be good :)

trinityy

Original Poster
Splreece":19d68g4o said:
Ahh bless her ... Im in a opposite situation but same outcome.. Mines overly friendly.. Loves being held... Really calm.....but still doesn't want to eat....

109077-3731557350.jpg
109077-7444945457.jpg
109077-4765190966.jpg
8 wks old and 2 wk in my house.. So in mid of the rehoming period...

Good luck with it all....

haha you’re so lucky that your baby beardie was already calm and friendly and loves to be held ! it’s taken over a month to get mine as tame as she is now - also for the not eating part, I’m definitely not an expert but could it be that your temperatures are off ? bc I’m pretty sure that they might not eat when the temperatures are incorrect ... or sometimes they could be stressed out I think bc I remember when my beardie was going through relocation stress she only ate like 5 bugs A DAY (I know it was terrible !!) but after she wasn’t stressed anymore, now she eats like 25-30 bugs a day haha. but by the sounds of it your bearded dragon isn’t stressed so .. hmm that’s strange , I’m not really sure why she/he isn’t eating

adambeck

Hatchling Member
This is so cute and precious! I'm glad that your friend is starting to trust you. I love reading about bearded dragons bonding with humans. How is she now?
Fifa (our bearded dragon) and I say hi!

Splreece

109077-4765190966.jpg
adambeck":1esxyx4c said:
This is so cute and precious! I'm glad that your friend is starting to trust you. I love reading about bearded dragons bonding with humans. How is she now?

Hey,

Mines eating much better.. Still not actually reaching recommended amounts but she's ballooned in size(same basking stone shows the size growth) she's still really sociable and loves a nose rub n kiss and now wants to explore the house. Before and after photos.. Before
109077-9441062407.jpg

3 mths later
109077-464457674.jpg
109077-6993881534.jpg
109077-4769567363.jpg
109077-2708044220.jpg
109077-1202917518.jpg

adambeck

Hatchling Member
Splreece":2z4cpk14 said:
109077-4765190966.jpg
adambeck":2z4cpk14 said:

Hey,

Mines eating much better.. Still not actually reaching recommended amounts but she's ballooned in size(same basking stone shows the size growth) she's still really sociable and loves a nose rub n kiss and now wants to explore the house. Before and after photos.. Before
109077-9441062407.jpg

3 mths later
109077-464457674.jpg
109077-6993881534.jpg
109077-4769567363.jpg
109077-2708044220.jpg
109077-1202917518.jpg

So glad to hear that she's eating better! She's so big now and still so cute :D
Love the photos with her and the kids :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom