Vet Costs - a survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
One thing many owners want and need to know is how much a trip to the vet will cost them. Since this varies by region, I thought it would be handy to make a thread to record the cost of an exam and a fecal - the two most common procedures - so we can see how much these things cost in your neck of the woods. I’ll start.

EXAM: $111
FECAL: $80

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

Cost for vet appointments in my area range from $48-156, I have no idea why the cost varies so much. Of the five reptile vets, though, three of them are $in the $45-75 range, with the one I use being $48 (the cheapest happens to be the one I like and trust the most).

I can't speak to fecal costs, since I do them myself (I used to do them for my grandparents who were vets and I inherited their microscope after they died. I also have a degree in microbiology and a decent book on veterinary microscopy). My friend who breeds corns says hers was about $65, but I'm not sure she goes to the same vet.

So:
Exam: $50-75
Fecal: ~$65

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My vet charges $41 for an exam and $28 for a fecal (and $97 for a blood test) in Iowa City.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Our exotic exams are $85. X-rays 2 views is $252. I forget how much fecal test are since employee discount.

San Ramon, Ca

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Seems pretty standard worldwide going by these posts. I deal a lot with my vet so i can offer some of my experience. My vet is considered a bit above average in greater Sydney region but i trust them tremendously and they have gone out of their way for my dragons a couple of times, even didnt add charges to certain services that they should have. They also are free to give advice over phone always so its reassuring to have them on hand whenever needed

I pay in Australian dollar which roughly equates to 60 cents USD.

Vet initial consultation: $85 aud
Follow up: free or up to $40 aud depending

Here's some things I've had done at the vet for my beardies: (in aud still)
Fecal $35
Blood work $180
X-ray 2 view- about $350
Fluid therapy set up w/1 night hosp stay: $170
Every following hosp night stay w iv fluid therapy: $70 per night
Dental clean under general anesthesia + 2 night hosp stay: $800
open abdominal gastric surgery + explorative surgery on the cavity: total about $2000 With all required hosp stay, treatment and follow up (this included stays, ongoing treatment and post care)
Most meds (pain meds, antibiotics, probiotics): less than $25 per usually

Needless to say that preventative care, routine checks and making sure you have good diet/husbandry is the absolute most cost effective way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom