Dubia Roach Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhume89

I was wondering what others did as far as taking care of a roach colony.

I was wondering how often to clean out the frass? And the entire bin?

Is it dangerous to your beardie to have the roaches, or their food, coming in contact with the frass?

If you use a sponge for watering, how do you clean it?

How often do you replace egg crates?

I appreciate any advice.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Don't worry too much about the frass. Cleaning it maybe every 6 months or so should be OK. Replace the cardboard then as well. You can also use cardboard tubes from toilet paper and paper towels for their housing. I eventually added some superworms to the frass and they seem to do a good job at keeping it under control without intervention from me. I don't feed those supers off though, they just live in the enclosure with the roaches.

For food, I have a plate on one side of the enclosure and I put fresh veges/leftover salads there for them along with occasional treats like bread slices or orange slices. The housing is on one side and feeding area is on the other. That works out pretty well. As long as they are getting fresh food I don't worry about extra hydration for them. Things like squash and pumpkin are hydrating on their own.

bhume89

Original Poster
CooperDragon":id6xvbre said:
Don't worry too much about the frass. Cleaning it maybe every 6 months or so should be OK. Replace the cardboard then as well. You can also use cardboard tubes from toilet paper and paper towels for their housing. I eventually added some superworms to the frass and they seem to do a good job at keeping it under control without intervention from me. I don't feed those supers off though, they just live in the enclosure with the roaches.

For food, I have a plate on one side of the enclosure and I put fresh veges/leftover salads there for them along with occasional treats like bread slices or orange slices. The housing is on one side and feeding area is on the other. That works out pretty well. As long as they are getting fresh food I don't worry about extra hydration for them. Things like squash and pumpkin are hydrating on their own.

Awesome, thanks. That’s good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom