Basking light Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok thats good --- they are one of the best bulbs-- did you get a piece of decor directly under the UVB approx 6-8 inches ?
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":wvvbqoqg said:
Good temp I forgot to ask the 5.0 bulb is that a Reptisun bulb?
Karrie
109058-7010522592.jpg
Ok so with this setup the closest he can get to the UVB bulb if he goes up to his basking spot is 8 inches, when hes down on the tile, he'll be to-11 inches, is this really not good enough? I would prefer not having to make another petco running and drop 80 dollars on a new terrarium hood.
P.S.A- this morning, he did the weirdest thing, he gladly accepted the first mealworm i dropped in front of him but then immediately started saying no to any food proceeding...Idk what is wrong

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the 8 is good the 11 is not does he bask on the top? It would be better to adjust the heat lamp- if he's not basking at the top means it's too hot- don't get another hood fixture from Petco if you want a zoo med 24" fixture that a T 5 would be better I can send you to a website that has it for $50 the bulb would be another $20 but it would fix the distance issues and it's a better bulb all together - you would only need to get this one once a year- this place is fast and they ship Fed ex
I will post the links
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":grvaw6ux said:
Good temp I forgot to ask the 5.0 bulb is that a Reptisun bulb?
Karrie
109058-1812064313.jpg
Heres the new setup, with that basking mountain in the back he will get nearly 6 inches to the reptisun, but he usually isnt up there, he will be on the top of his log thats directly under the basking light which is I would say about 9-10 inches from the reptisun. Will myh beardie go under the reptisun to get the light by himself or am I gunna need to find another way to make it 6-7 inches away while he's basking?

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":28g6km95 said:
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
this comes w/ the 5.0 bulb keep it you can use for a back up
here is the bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html you will need a 22" bulb
Karrie
Thanks, but isn't the zilla I already have essentially the same exact thing?
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-slimline-desert-50-uvb-t8-fluorescent-fixture

it is an 18'' as opposed to the 24'' you suggested but it goes across the enter top of the tank, so there shouldnt be any need to get a bigger one, should there? You said that this light would solve the distance issue, but how exactly is that the case when the closest ill be able to get it to him is the same spot I have the zilla fixture at the moment.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 24" fixture is longer and covers more area- the T 8 bulb requires closer distance and is not as strong as the T 5- the zoo med fixture is a better fixture and you cannot get a T 5 bulb in a 18" fixture-- the distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches wheres the T 8 needs to be 6-8- for maximum effectiveness-- plus depending on the screen if it's a wide holed they can be placed on top but I think you said yours is a thicker screen so it would need to go in the tank the screen blocks 30% of those rays
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":dvtahg2b said:
The 24" fixture is longer and covers more area- the T 8 bulb requires closer distance and is not as strong as the T 5- the zoo med fixture is a better fixture and you cannot get a T 5 bulb in a 18" fixture-- the distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches wheres the T 8 needs to be 6-8- for maximum effectiveness-- plus depending on the screen if it's a wide holed they can be placed on top but I think you said yours is a thicker screen so it would need to go in the tank the screen blocks 30% of those rays
Karrie
I just got rid off the tank screen as for it was blocking too much of the heat from entering. But now I see, I figured the T8 was stronger because it was a higher number :lol:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's up to you I have a zilla fixture that is/ was used on a 20 gallon w/ the Reptisun T 8 -- but usually bigger tanks like the 40 + gallon a 24" fixture is better especially if you upgrade the tank to a 75-120 gallon-- it's recommended that the fixture not be the same length as the tank-- they need to be able to get out of those rays w/ out hiding from them
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18tktlzl said:
It's up to you I have a zilla fixture that is/ was used on a 20 gallon w/ the Reptisun T 8 -- but usually bigger tanks like the 40 + gallon a 24" fixture is better especially if you upgrade the tank to a 75-120 gallon-- it's recommended that the fixture not be the same length as the tank-- they need to be able to get out of those rays w/ out hiding from them
Karrie
Awesome. I decided to buy one considering it will just solve the problem all together. Thanks so much for your help i really appreciate it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so when you get it hang it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor piece - you want it directly over him
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1pzgj8pl said:
Ok so when you get it hang it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor piece - you want it directly over him
Karrie
Im pleased that he has started eating his mealworms again, the zilla must be doing a decent job for the time being. But, I have noticed that he does close his eyes/ wink and doesnt move all too much. Could the reptisun coming in solve this?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They all close their eyes when basking --- the Reptisun bulb shouldnt be causing any issues if its not shining in his eyes -- that is why we recommend the bulb be directly above them -- its when the eyes are swollen and watering etc from a UVB is a issue - and alot of coils cause that issue-- if hes closing his eyes or one hes basking and enjoying the UVB --
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2sifgdsn said:
They all close their eyes when basking --- the Reptisun bulb shouldnt be causing any issues if its not shining in his eyes -- that is why we recommend the bulb be directly above them -- its when the eyes are swollen and watering etc from a UVB is a issue - and alot of coils cause that issue-- if hes closing his eyes or one hes basking and enjoying the UVB --
Karrie
But its not only when hes basking, he'll be on the cool side of his tank of in the cricket tank eating and still have his eyes closed for the most part

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok do you have a bowl of meal worms in the tank? I would recommend you take them out hes too little to be eating meal worms now -- they can cause impaction because of the exoskeleton --- please dont feed him anymore -- take a pic of him so we can see him take a pic of him w/ his eyes close or what hes doing thats worrying you
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom