Basking light Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMP8438

I just recently bought my little guy a couple days ago from petsmart (I know :? ) and im starting to get worried that he isn't getting efficient UVB while basking. He spends the whole day on his log that I have about 10-11 inches under the bulb. Iv'e tried two different thermometers and got a temp high of 95 degrees. I already have a 150 watt bulb so going up wattage isnt an option. Maybe I could add a second heating lamp in the basking area? He also isn't eating but i'm pretty sure thats just because I got him a few days ago and hes still just settling in. Any suggestions? (The tank is 40 gal)
109058-3829626851.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB on the back wall and no reflector is not good - he is not getting any UVB--- you need to get the UVB off the back wall and put in a fixture 24" w/ reflector -- the bulb is a what? Brand and bulb please
The temp should be higher than 95 - basking temps for a baby need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe - I would move your basking decor higher or lower the bulb I see you have it on a stand correct? and see what you get for a reading -- But that UVB needs to be addressed now --- yes he is going thru relocation stress so his eating will be effected but you want him eating something - nothing is not good - take care of your UVB and it needs to go directly over him--- depending on the bulb if its a T 5 12-15 inches - if its a T 8 6-8 inches -- you should see a behavior difference immediately
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you can keep it for a back up its basically a T 8
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":13fv4fom said:
The UVB on the back wall and no reflector is not good - he is not getting any UVB--- you need to get the UVB off the back wall and put in a fixture 24" w/ reflector -- the bulb is a what? Brand and bulb please
The temp should be higher than 95 - basking temps for a baby need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe - I would move your basking decor higher or lower the bulb I see you have it on a stand correct? and see what you get for a reading -- But that UVB needs to be addressed now --- yes he is going thru relocation stress so his eating will be effected but you want him eating something - nothing is not good - take care of your UVB and it needs to go directly over him--- depending on the bulb if its a T 5 12-15 inches - if its a T 8 6-8 inches -- you should see a behavior difference immediately
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you can keep it for a back up its basically a T 8
Karrie

Thanks for your reply! The UVB light is a Zilla slimline desert fixture using the included T8 fluorescent bulb it came with.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-slimline-desert-50-uvb-t8-fluorescent-fixture
So your saying if I just move this fixture up above his tank we should be all good to go?
As for the basking area, does it not become a problem for the beardie when the bulb is too close (6-7 inches)?
Thanks again.

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":afnji642 said:
Karrie
I also have another reptisun fluorescent bulb for the UVB but it is only 5% UVB, do you suggest changing it out?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes change the bulb out it is a way better bulb - it is considered a T 8 the UVB should be directly above him -- the basking bulb should not be closer than 6 inches-- I would adjust the height of the stand accordingly- how far is it now?
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1m3y3qwy said:
Yes change the bulb out it is a way better bulb - it is considered a T 8 the UVB should be directly above him -- the basking bulb should not be closer than 6 inches-- I would adjust the height of the stand accordingly- how far is it now?
Karrie

KarrieRee":1m3y3qwy said:
Karrie
109058-9933627787.jpg
109058-6901337378.jpg

Heres the new setup. The heat bulb is about 8-9 inches away now given it cant go any lower because i had to put the tank lid back on to hold the UVB light. The lid is thick metal, my guess is more thick than most have, will this cause any problems with the UVB light? It just seems a little awkward almost like the light isnt shinning through enough or that the light isnt fixated onto the little guy enough. Any thoughts?

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3pxpy130 said:
Karrie

And for the eating problem, what could I do with that. When I put mealworms or crickets in front of him he closes his eyes and turns his head away in disgust.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes all T 8's need to go inside the tank no cover over the bulb take the cover off if it's on-- you can hang the fixture w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners--long plastic zip ties fishing line shoe laces potted plant wire hangers- get your fixture situated then have your basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches-- what are getting for temps now? Get your temps correct along w/ that UVB and he should start eating
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1cteap5j said:
Yes all T 8's need to go inside the tank no cover over th
109058-322408276.jpg
e bulb take the cover off if it's on-- you can hang the fixture w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners--long plastic zip ties fishing line shoe laces potted plant wire hangers- get your fixture situated then have your basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches-- what are getting for temps now? Get your temps correct along w/ that UVB and he should start eating
Karrie
109058-322408276.jpg
Oh wow, I didn't think I could get that close with the basking bulb, I shouldn't have a problem getting the temperature up to where it needs to be if I can lower it that much. As for the UVB bulb, it is about 3 inches above the heat bulb meaning its 10-12 inches away from the dragon, but, it is not DIRECTLY above where he likes to bask, a little to the right, is this a problem?

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":19yqk83f said:
Yes all T 8's need to go inside the tank no cover over the bulb take the cover off if it's on-- you can hang the fixture w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners--long plastic zip ties fishing line shoe laces potted plant wire hangers- get your fixture situated then have your basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches-- what are getting for temps now? Get your temps correct along w/ that UVB and he should start eating
Karrie
And just today the little guy seems to be extremely fatigued/ cant keep his eyes open while basking, could that be stemming from having insufficient UVB?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He needs uvb-- get a piece of basking decor place it directly underneath- it needs to be 6-8 inches above him - he's not getting enough UVB the 10-12 is too far- what are your basking temps now?
Karrie

KMP8438

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1t9to5j0 said:
He needs uvb-- get a piece of basking decor place it directly underneath- it needs to be 6-8 inches above him - he's not getting enough UVB the 10-12 is too far- what are your basking temps now?
Karrie

Basking temps are up to 106 :D so atleast were getting somewhere.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good temp I forgot to ask the 5.0 bulb is that a Reptisun bulb?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom