Hunting Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie and I go outside everyday for 15-30 minutes of warmth and UV. He loves it, and often poops outside as well as runs and gets some real exercise. Today I saw a monarch butterfly sitting on the grass and as I bent down for a closer look, he sprinted in and ate it! He has done this before with a cicada and once inside with a beetle he found.

He normally gets dubias and vegetables, but is the occasional insect he hunts outside okay? I know his instincts are telling him to eat food whenever he sees it. And I know if he were in the wild in Australia he'd be living on bugs he hunts himself. So should I attempt to stop him from these occasional snacks?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would try you dont know where that bug / insect has been and if it has gotten into some weed killer / poison control he would be horribly sick or die- I would get some charcoal to have on hand for that type of incident --- I am not sure what to tell you to get but one of the others more experienced on here can recommend something
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yikes, are you positive it was a monarch , because they are toxic ! Or was it maybe a tiger swallowtail ? Cicadas are actually very nutritious but have the chance of carrying pesticides, possibly parasites. One of my beardies ate a cicada before , they love them. They've also eaten bees + yellow jacket hornets. And REALLY be aware of lightning bugs, they are almost always fatal if eaten. Like Karrie said, it would be good to have activated charcoal on hand.. How is Charlie doing right now , any strange behavior ?

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Charlie is in good spirits this morning, the butterfly doesn't seem to have upset his digestion. Just to help push things along I gave him some carrot greens this morning for breakfast.
108942-4729665942.jpg
I'll just have to be more careful outside. I love him too much to let him eat something that might hurt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom