Bearded Dragon not eating greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinxedFellow

My bearded dragon isn't wanting to eat greens at all, I went to the vet not long ago and they said that she was overweight from eating too many insects. Her belly hangs on the ground when she walks and she isn't as active as I want her to be. She used to eat her veggies just fine but I went through a period where I just fed her bugs which weren't good for her, she eats super worms like its nothing but right as I put mustard greens in front of her, absolutely nothing. I've been getting her out of her enclosure and letting her run around but she usually sits still, and I've been letting her run around and swim when I give her a bath. I'm really trying to get her weight down but I'm afraid she won't be healthy until she actually starts eating her greens, and I really don't want her to starve herself just because I'm not giving her insects, please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is she? She should be getting salads every day -- if she is a year old she should only get insects 2-3 times per week -- here is a website nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Its good your letting her out to run --- exercise-- what is her weight?
Karrie

JinxedFellow

Original Poster
I haven't weighed her myself but on her examination paper, it says she is 545lbs? I feel like there is a bit of a mistake there, I think they might have meant to put grams instead of lbs. On the paper, it also said her Body condition score was an 8 of 9, where grades 8-9 mean obese. Hopefully, the picture shows up now.
full

I had her since she was a baby and I've had her for over a year, I assume she is about a year and a half old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes they meant grams my dragon weighs 545 grams and my vet told me the samething-- she wants him down to 525 grams-- so start feeding her insects 2 times per week-- I would switch her over to silk worms- feed her salads every morning-- get a glass bowl or ceramic and use your super worms 1-3 as salad toppers use them to lure her to the bowl-- you can also use meal worms horn worms and the silk too they stick to everything- if you need websites let me know I will post them for you
Karrie

JinxedFellow

Original Poster
Thank you so much, shes extremely picky. I'm trying at the moment to just give her greens but shes not liking it at all, is it safe for me to keep giving her salad even though she isn't eating it? Will she eventually eat it if she's hungry enough? I thought it might be because I wasn't giving her enough variety but even after cutting up some carrots, raspberries, cilantro, and tomato, she won't eat them either.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look at the nutrition website- it will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often- offer her variety mix greens together it's a matter of finding what she likes- keep offering her salad every morning insects every 2 days+ she will eat eventually if she's hungry enough--- they all do it when the are addicted to insects- we have alot on here that won't eat their salads-- that's why I stress to new people w/ baby beardies about getting them to start on salads immediately- luring them to that bowl w/ worms-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom