Beardie suffering from MBD (Please Help)

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardie suffering from MBD (Please Help)

Postby benwokeist » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi!

I have a bearded dragon who went an extended period of time without the proper UVB's and is now suffering from the early signs of metabolic bone disease due to calcium and vitamin d deficiency.

Unfortunately, our household is struggling very very hard financially right now with the pandemic.

I was wondering if I could get a quote on a calcium treatment for my Beardie for the cheapest possible while still getting everything she needs

I live in the Winston-Salem NC area but I'm willing to travel to save this Beardie. I'm already planning on using calcium powder and she has the proper UVB and UVA bulbs now but I'm still worried she won't recover.

The MBD isn't at advanced stages yet and she doesn't have any noticable deformities but she's clearly suffering from MBD. She gets occasional head twitches and she's been very weak and lethargic lately along with an extreme lack of appetite. She hasn't eaten a single fruit or vegetable in over 2 weeks but she still seems to have an appetite for superworms, mealworms, and crickets so her jaw is clearly still powerful enough to comfortably chew.

She is nearly three years old and she has been an extremely healthy lizard her whole life. She survived being homeless and living in a tent for months, going in-between motels and campgrounds every day and a 12 day roadtrip from Oregon to North Carolina. It baffles me she stayed healthy through it all but I am so glad she is still with us and I'll do anything in my power to keep her healthy.

I can confirm that she has all the necessary lighting and tank equipment (As of today unfortunately)

Thank you for your time and I hope I can get this Beardie back to her healthy self.
benwokeist
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie suffering from MBD (Please Help)

Postby AHBD » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi there, sorry to hear about your hardships as well as your beardie's problems ! Did you say that you just now got the proper uvb lights ? If so, that's where you start out along with the calcium supplementation. The condition that she's in can be reversed now, thankfully she is not deformed and as you noted she still has jaw strength. Her refusing veggies is just being picky. Do you offer oral hydration ? If not, start using a eyedropper or spray bottle to drip water on her snout. Take her outside in the sun, just set with her in the grass for 30-40 min.+ that can give her a big boost. She's too weak to run away so you don't have to worry about that.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby benwokeist » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm

AHBD wrote:Hi there, sorry to hear about your hardships as well as your beardie's problems ! Did you say that you just now got the proper uvb lights ? If so, that's where you start out along with the calcium supplementation. The condition that she's in can be reversed now, thankfully she is not deformed and as you noted she still has jaw strength. Her refusing veggies is just being picky. Do you offer oral hydration ? If not, start using a eyedropper or spray bottle to drip water on her snout. Take her outside in the sun, just set with her in the grass for 30-40 min.+ that can give her a big boost. She's too weak to run away so you don't have to worry about that.

Thank you so much for the advice! Hearing this brings a lot of stress off my shoulders. I'll try the dropper tactic as you suggested for oral hydration. I've never done anything like that other than the occasional bath and she has a water dish that she never touches but I make sure to keep it filled just in case.
benwokeist
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Hello,

If you get a chance, post some pictures of her so we can see! As AHBD suggested,
taking her outside in the sunshine for awhile daily will greatly help out.
They can get extremely picky with their eating, especially with their greens, etc. I think
she will be able to recover, since you have the proper bulbs & supplementation now.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:22 am

I haft to ask proper bulbs ---- can you tell us what your using for a UVB I want to check to make sure -- NO coils you need a tube fixture -- and a good bulb would be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby benwokeist » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:24 am

KarrieRee wrote:I haft to ask proper bulbs ---- can you tell us what your using for a UVB I want to check to make sure -- NO coils you need a tube fixture -- and a good bulb would be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --
Karrie

Unfortunately I'm stuck with a coil right now because it was all I could afford but I understand your concern
benwokeist
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby benwokeist » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

If you get a chance, post some pictures of her so we can see! As AHBD suggested,
taking her outside in the sunshine for awhile daily will greatly help out.
They can get extremely picky with their eating, especially with their greens, etc. I think
she will be able to recover, since you have the proper bulbs & supplementation now.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Thank you for your reply she just woke up and she looks noticeably more energized than previous day's (obviously still weak though) Image
benwokeist
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:48 am

Ok the coil is no good you need to replace as soon as possible- in the meantime get her out into sun as much as possible for at least 15 minutes - she is basically getting no UVB and the coil will cause all kinds of health issues
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby benwokeist » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:51 am

KarrieRee wrote:Ok the coil is no good you need to replace as soon as possible- in the meantime get her out into sun as much as possible for at least 15 minutes - she is basically getting no UVB and the coil will cause all kinds of health issues
Karrie

Ok will do. It's not actually a coil it's one of the ReptiSun 10.0 bulbs but I assume they're about the same UVB wise
benwokeist
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am

Thanks for the pics, they're always helpful ! She looks pretty hefty so you can cut back on the insects a little and keep offering greens as often as you can. The bulb you have is not the best but it's not going to hurt her but be sure to get her in the sun because the bulb will not get enough uvb to her. In her condition she needs really good uvb so like I said, 30-40 minutes a day or at least every other day. I think she'll improve just with that as well as regular calcium supplementation, just a very light dusting on her food.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 am

So is it a tube ? If its a T 8 or a T 5 it will say on the bulb - please tell me so we can get it properly placed in the tank does it look like this https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb- ... o-med.html
or does it look like this https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesa ... o-med.html this is a 26 watt they also make 13 watt---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER