Beardie suffering from MBD (Please Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear about your hardships as well as your beardie's problems ! Did you say that you just now got the proper uvb lights ? If so, that's where you start out along with the calcium supplementation. The condition that she's in can be reversed now, thankfully she is not deformed and as you noted she still has jaw strength. Her refusing veggies is just being picky. Do you offer oral hydration ? If not, start using a eyedropper or spray bottle to drip water on her snout. Take her outside in the sun, just set with her in the grass for 30-40 min.+ that can give her a big boost. She's too weak to run away so you don't have to worry about that.

Tailzben

Original Poster
AHBD":3h6xxjb2 said:
Hi there, sorry to hear about your hardships as well as your beardie's problems ! Did you say that you just now got the proper uvb lights ? If so, that's where you start out along with the calcium supplementation. The condition that she's in can be reversed now, thankfully she is not deformed and as you noted she still has jaw strength. Her refusing veggies is just being picky. Do you offer oral hydration ? If not, start using a eyedropper or spray bottle to drip water on her snout. Take her outside in the sun, just set with her in the grass for 30-40 min.+ that can give her a big boost. She's too weak to run away so you don't have to worry about that.

Thank you so much for the advice! Hearing this brings a lot of stress off my shoulders. I'll try the dropper tactic as you suggested for oral hydration. I've never done anything like that other than the occasional bath and she has a water dish that she never touches but I make sure to keep it filled just in case.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you get a chance, post some pictures of her so we can see! As AHBD suggested,
taking her outside in the sunshine for awhile daily will greatly help out.
They can get extremely picky with their eating, especially with their greens, etc. I think
she will be able to recover, since you have the proper bulbs & supplementation now.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I haft to ask proper bulbs ---- can you tell us what your using for a UVB I want to check to make sure -- NO coils you need a tube fixture -- and a good bulb would be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --
Karrie

Tailzben

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20uaadyx said:
I haft to ask proper bulbs ---- can you tell us what your using for a UVB I want to check to make sure -- NO coils you need a tube fixture -- and a good bulb would be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --
Karrie

Unfortunately I'm stuck with a coil right now because it was all I could afford but I understand your concern

Tailzben

Original Poster
Drache613":8lm3wsw7 said:
Hello,

If you get a chance, post some pictures of her so we can see! As AHBD suggested,
taking her outside in the sunshine for awhile daily will greatly help out.
They can get extremely picky with their eating, especially with their greens, etc. I think
she will be able to recover, since you have the proper bulbs & supplementation now.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Thank you for your reply she just woke up and she looks noticeably more energized than previous day's (obviously still weak though)
HTlBBcR_d.webp

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the coil is no good you need to replace as soon as possible- in the meantime get her out into sun as much as possible for at least 15 minutes - she is basically getting no UVB and the coil will cause all kinds of health issues
Karrie

Tailzben

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ygvdqn7 said:
Ok the coil is no good you need to replace as soon as possible- in the meantime get her out into sun as much as possible for at least 15 minutes - she is basically getting no UVB and the coil will cause all kinds of health issues
Karrie

Ok will do. It's not actually a coil it's one of the ReptiSun 10.0 bulbs but I assume they're about the same UVB wise

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for the pics, they're always helpful ! She looks pretty hefty so you can cut back on the insects a little and keep offering greens as often as you can. The bulb you have is not the best but it's not going to hurt her but be sure to get her in the sun because the bulb will not get enough uvb to her. In her condition she needs really good uvb so like I said, 30-40 minutes a day or at least every other day. I think she'll improve just with that as well as regular calcium supplementation, just a very light dusting on her food.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom