Beardie is shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have a 4.5 month old beardie who is having some trouble. Please see below:

I am tapped out of resources completely at the moment and I can't make it to a vet until I have more money. Optimistically, at the end of the week.

My 4.5 month old beardie, grumpy george, is just acting off and I don't know what to do. His eating has diminished drastically. I adjusted his bulbs and raised the temps to 110. That helped his appetite a little. Before he ate only one Dubai roach a day and yesterday he ate 2 hornworms and two roaches. I dusted one of the hornworms with a good amount of calcium, d3 free dust.

I have 1 infrared 150 watt bulb. 1 zoo med basking bulb 150 watt and one 10.0 repti sun uvb bulb. I have 2 analog thermometers inside the tank one for hot side one for cool side (I know, not good. But these ones came recommended by the pet shop employee and I caved). The hot side is about 110 and the cool side is about 70.

I have noticed in the last two days he has started to shake a bit. His arm yesterday as he was climbing his rock and his head this morning. I don't know what to do. Im sure it's a deficiency of some sort but what? I can hardly get him to eat much less get him the full spectrum of vitamins he needs immediately. And I know I should take him to a vet but I have 12 dollars to my name. Any suggestions from anyone would help.

He is pooping normally. Although today it appears there was some undigested hornworm in his poo.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of the tank and lighting --- the infrared 150 watt is a colored bulb? If it get rid of it-- the Reptisun 10.0 bulb is a tube or a coil?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know it can be very frustrating when you don't know what is going on with them.
The Reptisun 10 UVB, is that a long fluorescent style tube or a compact/coil type of
bulb? Is it mounted on top of, or underneath of a screen top?
Since he isn't eating much, you may need to make a little nutritional slurry for him a
few times per week to put in his calcium & vitamins for him.
Do post some pictures of your tank setup along with your dragon too, just so we can
see the overall spectrum of the situation.

Tracie

Jewelie952

Original Poster
Hi guys! Thanks for replying. Quick update: found out Georgie is a girl. Also there was no shaking yesterday or today and she ate much more. Also a bulb blew out this morning so I had to replace it with a regular bulb because I'm still strapped for cash. Yes, the reptisun 10.0 is a compact one and also yes, the infrared is a red bulb. She was running around last night being a normal grumpy George but I think that might change since the bulb blew and all I had was a regular one. I'm working on getting these pics up, I'm unfamiliar with the site

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red bulb and the compact coil and replace w/ these ASAP---
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html if your tank is a 40 + gallon and this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html you can find these at Petco or Petsmart --- but you need these NOW --- your dragon will continue to get sicker w/ out the proper lighting -- the head shaking is a sign of MBD / and or neurological issues from lack of calcium - she is not able to absorb it w/ out proper UVB --- you can get her outside for some UVB- I would recommend you put her in a plastic tote NO GLass --- take her place her in direct sunlight/ shade for 15 minutes NO longer if its really hot out you dont want to burn her up or you can hold her for as long as you can stand the heat -- do this a couple of times / per day till you get the UVB -- do not leave her watch her ----
Karrie

Jewelie952

Original Poster
Hi Karrie -

Thank you so much for the advice. Can the bulbs wait until this Friday? I have no way of getting them until then. I have been taking her out in the sun as you suggested. She hasn't had the shakes since my first post but her appetite is gone again.

Tracie -

Thank you for your advice as well! It really is heartbreaking. I tried making her a smoothie - I had a little bit of success with it but I don't think she liked the one I made unfortunately.

Thank you both so much for your time!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes just continue to take her out till you get your UVB-- it's going to help her out a lot- you need that basking bulb asap they are not that much - you can get them at Petco or PetSmart digital probe too - you must have those at the same time you do not want to burn her up-- the basking bulb you posted is a bright white bulb? Did you get rid of the colored bulb? You should have temps in your tank that are basking 105-110- it's nice to offer a heat gradient- a piece of decor from petsmart would offer that they have nice decor for dragons--- middle of tank should be 90's and cool side of tank 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite- they like cool and dark to sleep--
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, so sorry that you have the wrong UVB lights, that is unfortunate but as Karrie
suggested, you will have to replace them. The compact/coil lights just are not strong
enough for them, & most of the times they will develop bone issues from long term use
of them.
Keep trying with the slurries & blended foods & hopefully you will get the right mixture
for him that he likes!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom