Possible Infection??? What is this??? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
108590-2923411061.jpg
Hey guys I just got this adult female bearded dragon at a reptile shop a month ago. She was perfectly healthy then one day to the next she got these two “bruises” on top of her eyelids with dark lines around her eyes and now they have progressed to this. I am planning on taking her to an exotic vet as soon as I find one in my area. Besides trying to dig in her hide, she is acting normally. Her eyes are perfectly bright and shiny. I keep scratching my head trying to figure out what it is. Please someone offer some insight!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of your set up, including lights and list the type of lights you have ? Also how you are measuring the temps. So what is she digging under ? Sometimes they will cause some injury like that by forcing their head under something.

Bananamuffin

Original Poster
AHBD":juqibmgy said:
Hi there, can you post pics of your set up, including lights and list the type of lights you have ? Also how you are measuring the temps. So what is she digging under ? Sometimes they will cause some injury like that by forcing their head under something.
I have a basking light with temp ranging around 99-105 and a uvb light from zoomed that is made for reptiles. I measure the temp with a digital thermometer and she broke through this plastic carpet I have her on. She was digging under her hide so maybe she hit the edges of it with her head?? Her hide is made of plastic. I will take a picture in the morning.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes that's definitely a possibility. If that's what's happening you'll need to take out the hide. I'll watch for the pics in the morning.

Bananamuffin

Original Poster
AHBD":o0wxqc7e said:
Yes that's definitely a possibility. If that's what's happening you'll need to take out the hide. I'll watch for the pics in the morning.
So I went over to her cage with my flashlight because I was too curious and yep the edges of the hide on the inside are jagged and also she had laid eggs!!!!! Holy cow. Completely infertile but still! What do I do??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh man, I suspected she was looking for a laying area. Just throw the eggs away if you're sure they're infertile. Be sure to feed + hydrate her well , calcium supplements are needed of course. Put some raw unpasteurized honey on those areas [ it's safe even directly in the eye so no worry there ] and be sure there are no loose insects in the tank to harass her at night.

Bananamuffin

Original Poster
AHBD":27kan0eh said:
Oh man, I suspected she was looking for a laying area. Just throw the eggs away if you're sure they're infertile. Be sure to feed + hydrate her well , calcium supplements are needed of course. Put some raw unpasteurized honey on those areas [ it's safe even directly in the eye so no worry there ] and be sure there are no loose insects in the tank to harass her at night.
I just disinfected her whole cage practically in the dark while she slept. The eggs were a dark yellow and smelled awful. I put her in the shower earlier today and left her there a while and she pooped normally, that means she’s not egg-bind correct? Or should I worry about that too? I’m taking away the hide and I’m setting down a towel in her cage for now. You mentioned calcium supplements where can I find those? She hates the liquid calcium, won’t go anywhere near it. So I dust her veggies and insects. Thanks for all your help btw I appreciate it a lot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! If you're dusting with calcium powder that's what I meant, so you're good. :) See how she does in the next few days but since she laid them alright she should be fine. Some may have burst , sometimes the dragon herself busts them as she's scratching around trying to cover them . She was trying to be a good mom and hide those eggs in the best place she knew. :) Anyway, busted eggs in a hot tank would definitely smell awful !

Bananamuffin

Original Poster
AHBD":30dfokif said:
You're welcome ! If you're dusting with calcium powder that's what I meant, so you're good. :) See how she does in the next few days but since she laid them alright she should be fine. Some may have burst , sometimes the dragon herself busts them as she's scratching around trying to cover them . She was trying to be a good mom and hide those eggs in the best place she knew. :) Anyway, busted eggs in a hot tank would definitely smell awful !
Okay, great. Do you believe this is going to be a monthly occurrence now that it’s happened once? I’ve only had her for a month. I do have another male bearded dragon but they have no contact and can’t even see each other but maybe because of his presence, she’ll continue to lay eggs? I don’t know I’ll be doing a lot of research tonight.

Bananamuffin

Original Poster
108590-6784723420.jpg
Bananamuffin":2hnffbkz said:
AHBD":2hnffbkz said:
108590-9894478223.jpg
Also here is her temporary setup. She’ll be getting an upgrade soon. The decorations is just so she doesn’t move the newly laid paper towel I just put down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom