Pale, lethargic, black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Does the glucose read 1922 ? Double check because I can't see that well but if that's what it is it's sky high. Sometimes indicates cancer.

CaptainSpikes

Original Poster
Holy smokes yes it does. I have never even noticed, the vet just told me she was pleased with the uric acid levels.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., we'll see what Tracie the mod. has to say when she sees this, she's a vet tech. and will have the best insight on the blood tests and whether the glucose might be caused by something else and can be brought down. You'll want to call the vet ASAP as well + see what they say. Again, I'm so sorry .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thank you for posting blood test results!
The uric acid levels are normal so that should not be the issue. As AHBD mentioned & I
noticed already was the glucose levels. This happens frequently with gout or gout
conditions.
What foods have you been giving him recently? I would call to speak to the vet to get his
thoughts also!
That indicates pancreas or liver issues. I hope he isn't diabetic. You could consider getting
him on milk thistle liquid or powder to help repair any liver damage. Alfalfa leaf powder,
barley leaf powder, timothy hay all help to naturally lower blood sugar. Be sure to avoid ALL
corn or soy products unless they state organic & non gmo.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

CaptainSpikes

Original Poster
It is so striking to see the glucose go from 189 on 4/18 to 1922 on 6/8. He is in the same condition this morning. I’ve been giving him water with a syringe and will take him outside later- he really likes drinking from the sprinkler.

He had been eating yellow & green squash and bell pepper mostly, with some mustard greens, carrots, & apple.

Last week I bought some baby food- green beans/peas/asparagus , butternut squash, & apple/blueberry. I will look for some of the things you suggest today.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and offer advice. We really love this funny little fellow.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If hes got diabetes going do not feed the apple/ blueberry its going to spike his blood sugar
Karrie

CaptainSpikes

Original Poster
His color is still off, but he made it through the night. I was really worried he might not. He went out in the sprinkler today and drank some water- he perks up quite a bit when he’s getting rained on! : ) I also gave him some baby food & some water with a syringe. I was able to find milk thistle at the store so he’s had a couple drops of that. I will find some of the powders to try to lower his glucose tomorrow. Thank you again for your concern and suggestions- it really helps to feel like we are trying something.

CaptainSpikes

Original Poster
About 3 ml total in a syringe- butternut squash & peas/green beans/asparagus. Should I mix some calcium or multivitamin in with it? Also wondering about how much of the milk thistle liquid he can have? It says a person can take up to 90 (omg) drops per day, so maybe like 1 or 2 for him? Also here he is today, and then earlier this summer living it up.
109026-5001423392.jpg
109026-1487609567.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that he has made it through the night & seems to be fighting!
For the Milk thistle liquid, you can give just a few drops, daily to help out with the liver. I am
honestly not sure what would have caused the spike in glucose levels, other than just some
type of food he ate prior to the blood test or the meds affecting his liver function for some
reason.
It looks like he is enjoying his outdoor time, so that is a positive thing! Keep us posted on him.
I hope he is enjoying his baby food, also.

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi there, when my girl was having her issues, i did some digging on possible causes; GNT came up as a prevalent result

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250040

High blood sugar is a common symptom, along with anemia; but this doesn't certainly mean it's the cause as high blood glucose can come even from stress or other illness (he has gout so maybe this could cause too?)

I'd see if your vet could try to rule this out; but for now you're doing a great job feeding and being as attentive to him as you can. My heart is with you and I'm rooting for your baby :) I hope he may recover quickly (I've seen lots of stories of beardies quickly bouncing back- they are so finicky when it comes to health!)

CaptainSpikes

Original Poster
Sadly he died last night. We are heartbroken but loved having him for the short time we did. I never knew they were so charming and personable. Thanks to everyone here for advise, suggestions, and good thoughts.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so so sorry, I know your'e devastated. :( They really do become so much a part of the family and I know that no words can help right now. You did what you could and were a great beardie parent for Captain Spikes. My deepest condolences to your family. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom