Looking for the right place to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybat124

Original Poster
saraho":3ili2jl5 said:
My beardie was found through our local zoo. Someone gave them info on one needing a home and they contacted me (we are both part of city departments). It worked out fairly well. In the future, I'd consider our local pet store a good option. She breeds her own beardies and I've met some of her adults. They are well cared for and she used to work at our zoo, so I know she's not going to try to sell me on getting two or feeding them mealworms.

My boy was in a first grade classroom for almost 2 years so he's very calm and acclimated to children, which is a plus for me. I'm a Children's Librarian and he's my education animal. I don't think the previous owner did everything right with him, but I'm educating myself on giving him the best life possible, so I have high hopes of spending years taking care of and loving him.
Thats awesome. While I was at petco I told the guy helping me about my past one and showed him my tattoo. He didn't come at with that bs because he knew I was experienced. I made sure to grab my baby some dubia roaches while I was there. I ordered some so had go get a few tubs till those ones come in. I would totally make another colony but the apartment i live in is very viable. I don't have the space to keep a colony.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I bought dubias last week at the pet store. Today I found a bin with a sealed lid and then I added some cut up egg cartons like they come with. Then I added some fresh carrots and the roaches. I need to learn more about caring for them and creating my own colony.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
My personal preference is to whenever possible get surrenders. Just like to think I'm helping an abandoned animal. My dragon both rabbits, and my guinea pigs are all surrenders. But that's just me. I hope you have many wonderful years with your new friend.

Cazz

saraho":n0jt3ogp said:
I bought dubias last week at the pet store. Today I found a bin with a sealed lid and then I added some cut up egg cartons like they come with. Then I added some fresh carrots and the roaches. I need to learn more about caring for them and creating my own colony.

Roach colony can take awhile to establish to the point of being able to feed them off and have it be self sustaining but completely worth it if you're interested. They take a couple of months to get really going. There's plenty of online tutorials. It's really easy. Just maintain them in warm dark place and keep humidity around 60 percent. Keep plenty of food for them and invest in dermestid beetles. They'll eat the dead carcasses and keep the smell down. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom