My beardie keeps flipping on his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlav

In previous posts, I discussed that my beardie Dex is showing mild signs of MBD. we are in the process of getting him tests from a vet and his lights and calcium have been changed. I am hoping we are on the road to recovery. However, because he has a bump/deformity in his lower left back/spine right above his tail (due to MBD) it seems as if it puts him off balance. From the chest/stomach up, he is fairly strong. He struggles with his lower limbs and now walks a little crooked. My concern is that due to the off balance in his back and tail area, he often flips over to his back. He then can’t flip himself over. I haven’t been able to leave him for a week now because I am scared he will flip over.

I guess am wondering if with proper lighting and calcium and even visits to the vet to try and fix his MBD, will they be able to fix the “bump” in his back? Will he eventually grow strength to stop flipping over ? We have taken out all of the things in the cage that aren’t flat to try to avoid the flipping over.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This needs to be addressed by Tracie our vet tech ---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is still having some trouble!
You did switch to the Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb, correct? Remind me again, how close is it
to your dragon & is it mounted on top of or underneath of the screen?
What type of calcium supplementation are you using currently, liquid or powder?

It is a good idea that you lowered all basking areas & made everything easier for him to get
around & not fall. Therefore, you will have to adjust the distances for the UVB & basking to
ensure they are properly mounted for him to get maximum exposure, safely.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Shanlav

Original Poster
I have always had the Reptisun tube bulb yes. It is probably 10-12 inches away from him however I have a smaller UVB light that hangs approximately 6-8 inches from him. He eats about 20 crickets a day that are dusted in calcium. We have removed most things out of his terrarium so that it is flat. We got a radiograph done and it shows that he has strong bones up front but weaker legs. The vet recommended we get him swimming a lot to try to strengthen his legs. Is there more I can do to correct the slight curve in his spine and to help him develop his balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom